• So I see that almost everyone is into attacking the ukraine on R1, I found it lacking.

I usually go with, 3Artillery/2tanks, 2i/2a/2t or 6 artillery on the purchase for attack options(If you’re buying 8 inf on turn one you’re doing it wrong)

Send 5 inf from Kar/Arch, 1 Artillery and two fighters to West russia and stack everything else in Cauc. Leave one Inf in Lenningrad and do your standard moves on the east end.

Cauc is all but untakable(98% vs max attack) and it forces Germany to move everything and its fighters to Ukraine away from the fleets if Germany hopes to hold Ukraine. UK then lands it’s two southern planes in Cauc. and sets up to reinforce Caucases with a few Indians

If germany does stack in Ukraine you just keep stacking in Cauc, the extra artillery can be used to take back West Russia every turn with minimal forces, Germany must not be allowed to stack fighters there. If Germany tries to send everything to WR, the artillery purchased will help smash anything that remains there. Without their fighters to defend they can’t hold it.

So it all comes down to US/UK not screwing up and losing all their transports, by round three their should be enough pressure on Germany for Russia to start defending its backside from the Japanese.

So Russia just stands strong until Germany is forced to retreat, never advancing your troops to far into germany so they can be used vs the Japanese when they finally arrive.

The most important thing for germany/russia is not to waste your fighters on suicide attacks and avoid using infantry to attack if they are without artillery support.

• The main goal of the Ukr attack is IMHO to get the fighter, so Germany can’t use either 2 fighters on AES or 1 fighter on AES plus 3 fighters on the cruiser in the Mediterranean.

Personally I see no reason why I should prefer artillery over tanks. I prefer to save 1 IPC and buy a tank next turn, to have no need for other troops (tiny advantage), 1 additional defense on top of the +1 attack and so much more tactical versatility due to the movement increase.

I like a 6 infantry 1 tank buy, although I see the merits of an 5-1-1. So far it usually worked, then on the other hand it is the Germans in my matches that screw up.

• @BigPapaSmurf:

Send 5 inf from Kar/Arch, 1 Artillery and two fighters to West russia and stack everything else in Cauc. Leave one Inf in Lenningrad and do your standard moves on the east end.

Don’t you run into Germany taking Karelia and West Russia, and establishing a strong center position from which Russia cannot reclaim Karelia income?

The main goal of the Ukr attack is IMHO to get the fighter,

Cutting most of Germany’s ability to attack Caucasus is another big big plus.  If Russia lucks out on the Ukraine attack, Germany may either risk fighters on G1 on other targets to send a fighter to Ukraine, or may send valuable tanks to reclaim Ukraine.  Or if Russia lucks out at Ukraine, Russia may retreat to Caucasus to preserve its tanks/artillery.

• @Bunnies:

@BigPapaSmurf:

Don’t you run into Germany taking Karelia and West Russia, and establishing a strong center position from which Russia cannot reclaim Karelia income?

Bunnies is correct. G takes West Russia with units from BR/Ukr. Russia can retake West Russia but will only earn 27 IPC, not being able to contest Belorussia and Karelia. Germany meanwhile can build 5 inf, 5 arm on G1 and put some serious pressure to prevent Russia from stacking West Russia on turn 2.

The main goal of the Ukr attack is IMHO to get the fighter,

Cutting most of Germany’s ability to attack Caucasus is another big big plus.  If Russia lucks out on the Ukraine attack, Germany may either risk fighters on G1 on other targets to send a fighter to Ukraine, or may send valuable tanks to reclaim Ukraine.  Or if Russia lucks out at Ukraine, Russia may retreat to Caucasus to preserve its tanks/artillery.

As equally as important as the fighter is to protect the Russian units on West Russia from being destroyed on G1. If you lose them, you lose any chance of contesting Karelia/Belorussia. Germany may also stack Ukraine like you mentioned, cutting off 3 IPC to Russia (plus the 2 from Belorussia) and both sides get into a war of positions that doesn’t favor Russia (i.e. the Allies better get quickly to help).

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m