• Alright, so I just purchased this game the other day because my friends and I have really been into RISK and we were looking for something a little more challenging and in-depth.  My friend and I played through a few rounds and I have to say, this game is really cool!
    One of the main problems, however, is that we can’t really seem to understand how IPC’s work exactly.  I understand how to spend them on troops and everything, and that each country starts out with a specific amount.  ie. Germany=30, etc.  I’m not sure, however, if you get that same amount every time you collect your income after the first turn?  OR, do you just count up the IPC totals from all the countries that you own by the end of your turn?  I read in the instructions manual that you look up your power’s national production level on the chart and collect that many IPC’s, so does that mean instead that you would just double the amount of IPC’s that you had at the end of the turn?  Sorry about all the questions, I’m just really confused as to how you determine the amount of IPC’s you collect each turn.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!  :-D I’m sure its a lot less complicated than I’m making it.

• You get whatever your total is at the end of your turn.

So the resulting IPCs you will have (and can spend in the next turn) is the total IPC for the territories you own, plus any bonus IPCs for National Objectives you qualify for, plus any leftover IPCs that you did not spend, minus any IPCs lost due to convoy raiding.

The “starting IPCs” is simply the amount you will get to spend on the first turn.

• Official Q&A

Welcome, ccscasey!

Each power starts the game controlling certain territories, each worth a certain number of IPCs (the number printed on the territory).  The total of these IPCs currently under that power’s control is tracked by placing its control marker on the IPC chart on the board.  This is the power’s “income level”.  At the beginning of the game, each power also has that same number of IPCs “in the bank”.  In the case of the USSR, you would place a USSR control marker on the number 24 on the chart and give the USSR 24 IPCs in the bank.*

During the Purchase Units phase of its turn, a power spends some or all of its IPCs that are in the bank.  As a power gains territories during its turn, its control marker is moved up on the IPC chart by the IPC value of the territories.  Then, during the Collect Income phase, that power receives the number of IPCs indicated on the chart (plus national objective bonues and minus convoy disruptions) in its bank account to spend on future turns.  During other powers’ turns, that power’s income level may move up and down as enemies capture its territories and allies liberate them.  However, the number of IPCs that power has in the bank will not change until it spends them.

• The number of IPCs in a power’s “bank account” may be tracked in any way you like.  Some people use a pencil and paper, some people use poker chips, and some people use play money.

• Another thing that may confuse you is that the cheap and IMO terrible company called wizards of the coast doesn’t provide you with any paper money. In all the original games you would get nice paper Industrial production certificates worth 1, 5, and 10. To make it simpler, use money from like monopoly to keep track. I just can’t imagine playing a game and having to use a pencil and paper to keep track of your money.

@Krieghund:

In the case of the USSR, you would place a USSR control marker on the number 24 on the chart and give the USSR 24 IPCs in the bank.*

U.S.S.R. actually starts off with 28, to avoid confusion. In the other axis and allies game they do get 24.

• Sponsor '17 '13 '11 '10

Ccscasey,
    I am glad there are more people playing this game and being introduced to it, it is a lot of fun and variants are endless. Email me and I will send you some paper game money or IPC’s that I produced for WW2 games. This is my way of saying , “Welcome”. Email me with your address and I will send it for free.
    Thanks

• Official Q&A

@KillOFzee:

@Krieghund:

In the case of the USSR, you would place a USSR control marker on the number 24 on the chart and give the USSR 24 IPCs in the bank.*

U.S.S.R. actually starts off with 28, to avoid confusion. In the other axis and allies game they do get 24.

Good catch, KillOFzee.  I copied and pasted part of this from an earlier post in the AA42 forum, and I missed that when making changes.  :oops:

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Hang on a second here…

So the starting IPC’s for Alpha +.2 Europe 1940 is 28?  and then the subsequent turns is 37?

Just wondering…

• Official Q&A

We’re not talking about Alpha here.

• Welcome to A&A ccasey!!

what you do is you buy troops
    you do your combat move if you win the territory you raise your ipc amount up as many numbers as the territory says
    then at  the end of your turn you look at the National Production Chart and Collect that amount for that country
    your countries DO NOT share there money’

Keep Playing
    450thMSAF

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m