• @Lord:

As for the topic at hand, I’m in favour of improving the French position with House Rules. I very much respect the French (probably the only person I know who does), and I was saddened when they were pretty much made cannon-fodder for the Germans.

Have you seen my name? I share your opinion as well. I love the French and beleive if just some mistakes had not been made in WW2, the French would have prevailed. Now you have to understand, this game is not an exact historical replay. Balance must be maintained otherwise the game is no fun. France will have its day in a WW1 game some day, but until then, you have to understand that France will never be a great power in any Axis and Allies games except for maybe a 1939 one. It hurts I know. Every game of Global 1940 regardless of side, Im always rooting for the French to win. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesnt. Its a game of chance.

^Above I beleive the reason France is given so much bad rep, is because they surrendered. They were a first class military and they surrendered as a whole country. Countires like Greece or Holland or Belgium, stood no chance against Germany, and they surrendered. But France outnumbered the Germans and I think most people see this as a prime reason for giving France crap. They had better armored tanks and more men, but they surrendered. And it was a quick campaign of France too. Great Britian, though they had many defeats, never gave up their country. They were prepred to fight to the death. Not to say France didint fight, no they gave the Germans hell and many French and Germans died in the process. I think the shock of French military defeat is probably why they are made fun of. The country that bore Napolean lost to a country with less men. Its just shocking. People just need to understand history more and give respect to those that died. France tried hard, but the Germans had better tactics. The French fought for their country just as hard as any American or Brit or German fought for theirs. Their sacrrifice doesnt deserve the crap they get.

• Indeed sir, I prefer the British myself, but I have nothing but respect for France. France was defeated by an oversight (the Ardennes), and because its air force was much worse than Germany’s. What few people realise is the French actually HELD the Germans on the line of the Meuse, until the Germans swept behind them when they emerged from the Ardennes unexpectedly. That was pretty much checkmate. As for having more men, France couldn’t keep that up long anyway, as France had 38 million people to Germany’s (with Austria and Czechoslovakia) 70+ million. As for the British, I know better than most how badly they would have been defeated had their been no Channel and no Royal Navy. Even though England saved its army at Dunkerque it lost most of its equipment, and for several months Britain was short of everything. That’s another point though, Germany had been preparing for war since 1933, 3 years after that Stanley Baldwin’s Government in the UK informed the Admiralty and War Office to base their budgets on “no war for 10 years.” 3 years later they were at war and totally unprepared for it, I imagine it was a similar position in France.

• Here is just a thought let France go first

• That’s simple and brilliant. I wouldn’t mind doing a test round like that. France has to fall though, if France goes first and Germany can’t defeat them quickly then there’s no point. It would be nice to see France and the Soviet Union crush Germany but that doesn’t make for a very fun (or fair) game for the Axis player.

I’d also consider having France move before Italy, and perhaps giving France a transport in the Med in which to carry troops from Southern France to Africa. I can understand Germany quickly defeating France, but if Germany fails, then I’d like France to be able to reinforce before Italy hits, as historically the Italians wouldn’t have stood a chance against France, and certainly wouldn’t have taken Paris.

• @suprise:

Here is just a thought let France go first

That I think would make France way to difficult to take for the starting setup of Germany and they’ll have to spend so many resources that a G2 or 3 attack on either Russia or London will suffer.
    The entire game would have to be moved one turn, aka Russia’s declaration of War, USAs declaration and so on.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Wow what a BAD idea.

France goes first, and attacks Italy with everything.

Northern Italy gets sacked - losing major complex.  and french fleet moves to gibraltar, and the fighter both fighters follow aswell, thus putting it under scramble protection.

Paris gets wholly abandoned, and Italy can’t build more than 6 units all game.  The build goes to a fleet build of a carrier or otherwise into the atlantic. to protect other ships.

again,

Wow what a BAD idea.

• Which is why I suggested it go before Italy but definitely after Germany. That still probably won’t work, but I’m willing to test it out and see how that goes.

• Just what I wanted the two extremely different views    thanks
      Italy would have to go first then France  or some sort of non aggression agreement
      Plus I thought the pro French people would really like idea
      I LIKE THE GAME THE WAY IT IS
      Have fun with the game test

• hey,
    i have the a&a 1940 europe. what happens to the remaining french naval units and inf units, after the germans take france??

• Page 10 and 35 of the Europe 1940 Rulebook explains how France is dealt with.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m