• Is it really necessary for the Allies to take the unspent IPCs of the Axis. It makes sense for the Axis to do this as this was their goal…to conquer and destroy. The Allies where looking for a surrender or just to restrict the Axis back to their own capital…keep peace. Do the Allies need the advantage of an instant cash boost. Does anyone else have a view on this. Do we need to change the way Allies win even if it is so slight. If you have Germany down to its capital do you need to go any further. If Japan is surrounded by an Allied navy is there still a chance. In this “GLOBAL” game is there a way for the Axis to benefit from each other, or is it still two separate games on the one board. What are your thoughts?

• Extremely interesting thought!  Makes a lot of sense.

• You do realize that, in reality, there was a TON of looting that went on in WWII when the Allies entered German territories, right?
    So, yes, it is historically accurate in a way for them to loot the unspent IPC’s.  Consider it representative of the looting that went on when the Axis cities were liberated by the Allied forces.

• I realise this but is it needed in this game. Im all for realism and the like . If you are about to take their capital would you not have a majority of their territories. In some cases no but if you have their territories you have already taken their IPCs. The Allies are not short of IPCs at all. Spose dont fix whats not broken, just an idea to build on.

• @TheDefinitiveS:

I realise this but is it needed in this game. Im all for realism and the like . If you are about to take their capital would you not have a majority of their territories. In some cases no but if you have their territories you have already taken their IPCs. The Allies are not short of IPCs at all. Spose dont fix whats not broken, just an idea to build on.

Well hey, you are the one that brought up the historical concept to it (“it makes sense for the Axis to do this as this was their goal…to conquer and destroy.  The allies were looking for a surrender…”)

However, all things considered yes, if you are taking Berlin or Tokyo, then chances are you’ve won the game already so it is not going to make any difference either way (And the number of IPC’s you will be plundering is minimal at best by this point).

• hate to say it but if the allies are capturing axis capitals its probably game over all ready.  Its not like there is a turn based victory system a la A World at War.

• I don’t like the rule either, I think that so long as you have a factory you can earn and spend ipcs.  After you lose your last factory then you hold onto your unspent ipcs until you or an ally liberates one of your factories.  This seems more realistic to me, but I think the current rule is there more to prove that once your capital is captured you might as well surrender.

• Customizer

@JimmyHat:

I don’t like the rule either, I think that so long as you have a factory you can earn and spend ipcs.  After you lose your last factory then you hold onto your unspent ipcs until you or an ally liberates one of your factories.  This seems more realistic to me, but I think the current rule is there more to prove that once your capital is captured you might as well surrender.

That’s an interesting idea.  So all nations would be treated like China and keep their unspent IPCs with hopes of one of their factories getting liberated, even if it’s not necessarily their capital.

Actually, there is a kind of historical precedent for having to capture the Axis capitals.  In the “Why We Fight” series, at the end of each film it shows a quote from the Secretary of War Henry Wallace that said “Victory can only be acheived by the complete and unconditional surrender of Germany and Japan.”  So, as far as the game goes, if you have Japan surrounded but your Japan player doesn’t want to surrender, then you just have to keep pounding him with SBRs until you build up a big enough invasion force and take him out.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m