• Customizer

I don’t like the idea of giving cruisers the same ASW abilities as a destroyer because that would mean subs pretty much have no surprise strike ability anymore.  Yeah, I know they can still surprise strike carriers and battleships, but both of those take 2 hits to sink so they can still kill the sub even if the sub hits.  Destroyers already nullify the surprise strike.  Defending subs also get a surprise strike albeit at 1, so even if the attacking sub hits, the defending sub could too.  So right now, cruisers are the only ship that a submarine can surprise strike and actually sink.  I don’t think we should take that away from them.

I still like the AA idea.  If that is too powerful, perhaps the cruiser could act as AA ONLY when paired with other ships.  In other words, a cruiser can’t act as an AA gun by itself, it has to be defending other ships in a fleet.

• If nobody buys the CA, it should not impact the subs too much more than before.

• @Imperious:

If nobody buys the CA, it should not impact the subs too much more than before.

But a lot of us do buy cruisers, so your opening premise is irrelevant.

This is all pretty pointless discussion.  Everybody had their mind made up before reading this thread at all, and probably no one’s buying choices will change.  No one is going to get Larry to change the cruiser rules for them, especially writing about it on this website that Larry does not read.  So buy them or don’t, everybody, no one really cares whether you do or not.  An awful lot of talk about a less than 10% price difference.  What about 24 IPC battleships in classic that were destroyed in one hit?  Now that’s overpriced.

• If nobody buys the CA, it should not impact the subs too much more than before.

This is no premise. It was for the people who claim they never  or seldom buy cruisers, so if they don’t it can’t really have any effect in invalidating the role of the SS in the game.

I dont buy them as they are now, but with the small deal of hitting plane on a 1 during the attack role, added with ASW will get me to buy more or equal with the DD.

The goal is that each unit by category has an equal value to offer the game depending on how you want to use them. Their should be no clear “no brainer buys” between units with some exception to Infantry.

• @Imperious:

The goal is that each unit by category has an equal value to offer the game depending on how you want to use them. Their should be no clear “no brainer buys” between units with some exception to Infantry.

OK I appreciate the clarification, but am perplexed by this part of your post.

Who said the goal was for each unit by category to have equal value to offer the game?  That’s a big time assumption…

• Because if it became clear that one unit was better in most situations because its DNA was not in balance with its abilities for better or worse, that unit would either not be used in the game or used exclusively at the detriment of other established units. This is what is called glitching in games and in these situations it breaks the game.

Examples ( these are cases where one unit had a clear advantage over other units and it was merely a task of buying more of these units than another player):

Tanks in AAR and AAE 3-2-2-5 or 3-3-2-5 tanks

In conquest of the empire ( original version) the side who bought up all the catapults won the game

In Napoleon in Europe, you bought is remember cavalry and it was a clear advantage in combat.

In MB AA edition , getting heavy bombers first broke the game, before that having infantry bought every turn made the game static but kept you in the game longer

IN NOVA games edition, getting a Chinese factory to place US land forces made the game broken. US would build up before Japan can take and Japan would never get going in Asia.

• OK, but aren’t those mainly examples of OVER powered units?  People are saying cruisers are too expensive, so rarely purchased.  That’s a different issue than heavy bombers or infantry buys being dominant in MB.  Cruisers certainly don’t break the game…

• Well i can provide underpowered unit examples…

In MB AA the battleship was too expensive at 24 and with one hit, anybody would either buy CV or SS. Players would almost never buy a Battleship.

In AH Stalingrad you replace combat loses by spending points to buy lost units based on the attack factor. The problem was the Soviets had a number of infantry units that had a huge defensive factor, you players always replaced this unit again and again, often using them in exchange because the attacker was required in exchange results to lose an equal number of factors as the defense so these units brought down a good many German forces and became the butt of jokes on this game.

• @gamerman01:

What about 24 IPC battleships in classic that were destroyed in one hit?  Now that’s overpriced.

Yeah, well actually I just listed the old battleship as an example 10 hours ago.

Thing is, on a scale of 1 to 10 for units being overpriced the MB Battleship was like an 8 or a 9 (fighters cost 12, and carriers cost 18, after all) and cruisers in AA50 are like a 2.  Not really worth a crusade, although it’s amusing to see people making these statements like that cruisers are a “bad buy” “99% of the time”, etc.

I mean, even the people who hate 12 IPC cruisers would be happy if they were 11, or for some, 10.  But that MB battleship needed to be priced like 6 IPC’s lower or so (25% off).  At least.

• I always buy cruisers. They are better than destroyers on attack and do offshore bombardment but lack anti-sub duties. Whenever Im making a fleet I build up cruisers, because they have a decent attack, and can massively support landings for far cheaper than Battleships. When America needs to invade Europe or Japan, I see cruisers as the best buy besides transports.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m