• The game could get more granular with certain boundaries that either you cannot blitz through and/or only a limited number of units can move through in a turn. One such should be N Italy/S France.

I also think some territories should hamper movement of mechanized units. Burma/Siam/FIC should all be 1 move territories due to dense jungles and possibly a diminished attack or defense for mech units.

• Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. The Alps are a pretty formidable barrier, I think it should be similar with Persia, and like you said, with the dense jungles of South-East Asia.

As for Italy taking France, wouldn’t that be a very good thing for the Allies? I just played my first game of Global 1940 and I was thinking that if Germany didn’t bag that extra 23 IPCs from taking Paris, then that would make Sealion pretty darn difficult. It would be much less dangerous to have Italy take the money, seeing as how they’re in no position to do Sealion. So I’m thinking, if France resists Germany on G1, even if Italy takes France on I1, the UK is more or less saved from Sealion, unless the UK player is really terrible.

• Customizer

Yeah, I agree.  If Germany fails to take Paris, even if the Italians end up taking Paris it will definitely slow things down for the Axis.  Germany won’t have as much money to spend on Sealion or even Barbarossa.  Since Italy has to commit resources to taking Paris, that will set them back in the Med and Africa.  Plus, if Sealion fails or just doesn’t happen because Germany doesn’t think they can do it, the Brits could really take advantage of the situation in Africa and make things rough for the Italians, even with the extra French money.  I’m not saying the Axis couldn’t still win the war, it will just be harder to do.

Of course, if France doesn’t fall to Germany G1, Italy does have the option of ignoring Paris and moving on with their Med operations.  Problem with this strategy is it leaves an enemy force right there on both Axis country’s doorstep.  Not sure if Paris could survive a second German attack but at the very least, it would take even more German resources and Sealion would be just about out of the picture.  Unless Germany went ahead with Sealion without taking Paris first.  I wonder if that could work.

• That’s an interesting thought. If I were Germany I would consider France the bigger threat over the UK. The UK has more money, but France has a decent amount, and it doesn’t need any transports to hit Germany. If France is allowed to survive for a few turns it might be able to throw a decent amount of troops at West Germany or Holland/Belgium and take them from the Germans, or they could take North Italy and take the Italians only Major IC. Even if the UK falls things will not be pretty on the Continent, and if Germany doesn’t manage to finish France of by turn 3, then they’re pretty much screwed, because in comes the Bear. But yes, both Italy and Germany get set back pretty bad, the UK might have the chance to wreck Italy’s Navy which would more or less neutralise the Italians.

• I realize this is a super old thread  :-D  However I am quite lazy.  Anyways my friends and I played from 6pm-7am and to sum it all up France got utterly destroyed first turn.  However once it came back into the game it took Germany.  I still have the picture on my phone :)

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

I hold out every game with France.  And I roll over Germany with tankettes by round 5!

• France get annihilated in every game the only useful thing they have is 2 or 3 boats and a fighter after Paris falls which happens at the begining of every game.

• I agree that France is always gone G1. But they’re not nothing–the Cruiser/DD in the Med draw Italians, and they have holdings in Africa that require Italian action.

So more of an annoyance. The one change I’d like to see is the addition of an Inf. and/or DD in French Indo-China.

• Customizer

@techroll42:

So more of an annoyance. The one change I’d like to see is the addition of an Inf. and/or DD in French Indo-China.

I agree with you there.  I have always thought there should at least be a couple of infantry on French Indo-China.  After the 3 main French territories in Europe, FIC is France’s most valuable territory.

I asked about that once and was told that the French presence in French Indo-China in 1940 was very small, so much so that it didn’t really deserve even a single infantry piece.  Since in this game, at this scale, a single infantry piece represents an entire division if not more, I guess I can understand that.

• There are no French units in FIC because there is no France in just the Pacific 1940 game.

Kim

• I my last game as allied, we did not lose Paris in G1. In UK1 we stacked with everything we could and after a few mighty battles for Paris we lost it to Germany in G5. It can be done :-D

• Customizer

One time we played a sort of alternative history game where France was actually part of the Axis with Germany and Italy.  It was neat to see France actually being a part of the game for a long time and actually buying units and working strategy.

• That sounds interesting. I’ve been trying to come up with some Vichy France rules…

• I have seen only 1 game in which France edured past the first round. By the end of Round 1 France had 8 infantry, 1 tanks and 7 fighters protecting Pairs and the collected 24 IPC (they had taken North Italy with a small force). With Severe German loses on turn 1 and the British acting as “can-openers”, The French managed to storm into Berlin by turn 4(while Britian took Rome that same turn)! It was a fluke of a game but it was still fun!

• I actually played a game today, a noob on Germany.

France held throughout the seven turn game.  I had UK fighters parked in Paris.  Germany didn’t attack France on their first turn, giving me time to buy infr.  All in all Germany probably lost twenty units to Paris.  Struggled Germany,  on turn seven Berlin fell to the Soviet union.  Japan was over powered in the Pacific,  the axis conceded.

• Total noob. Not even trying for France? What did he do, hit Russia G1?

• @techroll42:

Total noob. Not even trying for France? What did he do, hit Russia G1?

Lol. I had to declare war on Germany.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m