World War Three - The Last Option (map pic!)

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

June 13, 2011 UPDATE
    Okay, now that the map is nearly complete I wanted to share it with everyone. The blacked out areas are where the charts are going to go. This portion is not yet complete. Please give me all your feedback! Progress is still steadily moving forward, but being a bit of a perfectionist I am trying to iron out as many problems as possible before going on to the next step.

May 20, 2011
    I have been working on a World War Three game set in 1985. The map area covers Norway to Saudi Arabia north-south, and Moscow to Paris east-west. Completely different D12 based combat system, but a D6 variant could easily be done for you D6 fans. It focuses on the conflict in Germany, southern Europe, and the Middle East. Yes, there are Nukes. Yes, there are neutral rules. Yes, I have tried to keep it KISS as much as possible without over simplification. I am trying to gauge interest for this project in the community with this poll. Please ask any questions you have so I can address them as the project moves forward. Right now, it’s still in the design stage with very little play testing done. But if I’m going to do this project, like the other successful folks here, I want to do it right.

Thank you for your time!

• Do you have helicopters included in this game? If its in 1985, I think thats a must.

Yes I do. It is an “Air Cav” unit, which can transport marines into battle, and pairs with mechanized infantry (the basic ground unit in the game, like regular infantry in A&A).

A few additional details…
    The units in the game are:

Mechanized Infantry
    Armor
    Air Cav
    Air Force
    Marines
    Missile Defense Systems
    Tactical Nuclear Missiles

You must purchase and distribute supplies to your troops in order to attack or move.

You must use diplomacy to convince other countries to join you, or to keep them neutral.

Enjoy! More updates soon.

Play testing went well today. A few little details needed ironing out. So far playability is good, but more detail is needed in the instructions. I will be needing a few people to help play test that have the ability to print their map from a pdf file.

As far as the game pieces, if I get enough interest I may be able to accommodate this. I have some ideas.

Thank you for your continued interest!

Okay folks, we’re getting close. Complete Rules Version 1.0 is now done. I will be working on a complete map for the playtesters to use next. I hope to have that done in a week or so. We will see…

What I hope to do soon though is get a “mini-map” of the middle east up with the basic rules so everyone can have a chance to check it out and see if they would like a complete product. Thoughts on this? Please let me know as the silence is deafening…

New Update:

The map is coming along, but I’m teaching myself CS5 at the same time so it’s a bit slow…

I have an important question to pose:

To reduce the cost and therefore the price of the game, I need everyone’s feedback on whether you would care or not if one color set of pieces is painted a different color. The problem is there are two mould colors that are too similar ( British Tan and 2nd Ed Japanese Yellow). If I go with one of the revised colors, it would increase the number of pieces I need to purchase for everyone’s game. So, I can either pass the extra cost on to those who want to buy the whole shebang, or I can paint the yellow ones to be a different color that is easier to distinguish from tan, or leave it the way it is.

Thoughts?

Updates added to first post. Included name of game into subject title.

• Interesting. That map looks nice, if not a bit squareish. What are the green countries on the board?

The territories are intentionally squared off as part of the “look” I was going for. Wanted to give it a modern, almost sci-fi feel to it since it depicts a conflict that never actually happened.

The green territories represent US “landing areas” in a way. Places where new US units may be placed after purchase simulating safe landing areas for reinforcements from the mainland. Grey are NATO nations, brown Russia, orange Pact, and light tan neutral.

The territories are intentionally squared off as part of the “look” I was going for. Wanted to give it a modern, almost sci-fi feel to it since it depicts a conflict that never actually happened.

The green territories represent US “landing areas” in a way. Places where new US units may be placed after purchase simulating safe landing areas for reinforcements from the mainland. Grey are NATO nations, brown Russia, orange Pact, and light tan neutral.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m