• I loved Steel Panthers back in the day (Can’t find a serviceable Vista version).

Any suggestions of a similar scale/style in todays video gaming titles? Maybe one of the Matrix Games titles?

Thanks!

• Best I have is Panzer General or Allied General on the PS1 which will also play on your PS3.

• Call me crazy but I like Call of Duty 2. Fun game and cheap. If you get some good mods for SP then it’s twice as good.

• @frimmel:

Best I have is Panzer General or Allied General on the PS1 which will also play on your PS3.

What? But it won’t play PS2 games?

I’ve played so many games through the years that I probably forget many.

Close Combat series
    Red Orchestra
    Call of Duty prior to 4 but also including World at War
    Company of Heroes
    Battlefield 1942/43
    Hearts of Iron - epic, not for the squeamish
    RUSE -only played the demo, but it was fun

There are others, but I don’t know the game you listed. Check this link out for more ideas. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_War_II_video_games

• What? But it won’t play PS2 games?

only the first  4 did. an the ps1 and the ps2 games are in the same coding style. the only dif it ones blu-ray

also back on topic
    world of tanks is a great PC tank game

• @cminke:

only the first  4 did. an the ps1 and the ps2 games are in the same coding style. the only dif it ones blu-ray

also back on topic

That’s what I thought, but frim made it sound like any PS3 could play PS1 games.

• Every PS3 DOES play PS1 games. Not every PS3 plays PS2 games. I have a new slim and I assure you it plays PS1 discs.

PS1 games are also available for download digital only purchase from the PSN store and those will play on a PSP.

• @Jermofoot:

@cminke:

only the first  4 did. The ps1 and the ps3(edited*) games are in the same coding style. the only dif it ones blu-ray

also back on topic

That’s what I thought, but frim made it sound like any PS3 could play PS1 games.

• @frimmel:

Every PS3 DOES play PS1 games. Not every PS3 plays PS2 games. I have a new slim and I assure you it plays PS1 discs.

PS1 games are also available for download digital only purchase from the PSN store and those will play on a PSP.

Well that’s cool…I’ve still got some PS1 games around. If the PS3 had universal compatibility, I’d probably own one by now.

• do you have theme hospital? or any comand and conqures.ill buy them at 7.50 each

• company of heroes tales of valor. great game

• Hearts of iron 1 , 2 and 3, most depht ww2 playability video game

• So they are making a game called Red Orchestra:Heroes of Stalingrad. Sounds fun and it’s coming in August.

• @Pvt.Ryan:

So they are making a game called Red Orchestra:Heroes of Stalingrad. Sounds fun and it’s coming in August.

What style will it be? RTS? Turn-based? FPS? Is it PC only?

• '10

@frimmel:

@Pvt.Ryan:

So they are making a game called Red Orchestra:Heroes of Stalingrad. Sounds fun and it’s coming in August.

http://www.heroesofstalingrad.com/

Looks like PC only…… :-(

• Well you own a PC right? I mean how else would you have looked it up. Or is your PC just crappy?

• @frimmel:

@Pvt.Ryan:

The first one - which is awesome and first introduced to me on this board (should still be available on Steam) - was an FPS.  It had a “combined arms” approach to the game, which is vehicles & infantry combat, but many maps also isolated one or the other.  It limits the weapon and class availability depending on map to make sure things are balanced.  Only a handful of guys get MGs, SMGs, or semiauto rifles…the grand majority only have rifles.  And if you want to operate a tank, you have to spawn as a tankman class that mainly has a pistol.  Lots of fun back in the day…assaulting a Russian town as the Germans with only 2 half tracks and you never know where people are.

This game looks like it has single player campaigns for both sides, some new mechanics (cover system, fire team deployment, ranking, coop, etc.), and new visuals.  I’ve seen some gameplay videos and it looks pretty good.  Might have to get a dedicated PC to hit this.

• I would say Close Combat II, A bridge too far. One of the best WWII PC/video-games I have ever played.

• @Herr:

I would say Close Combat II, A bridge too far. One of the best WWII PC/video-games I have ever played.

That was truly the best one, IMO.  Another awesome thing about it - the disc held a Windows & Mac install, not common for games at anytime.

• Panzer, Allied, and Pacific General

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m