Finally, I have my map printed! Oh, yea!!!

• This pic shows how I added a bit of extra territory to the edge of the map and added a border between C. US and Alberta. Also, I changed the border between New Brunswick, Quebec, and the E. US so that there is no confusion over how it properly is to meet with sea zone 106.

7.jpg

• Here is a picture of Europe. Since this is where the two Europe map panels met, I took the liberty of centering some of the text for Denmark, W. Germany, N. Italy…

8.jpg

• Sea Zone 128 appears for the first time!!!

9.jpg

• I corrected both borders for sea zone 6. They now properly meet at Korea/Amur and at Korea/Manchuria.

10.jpg

• Customizer

That map looks very nice.  I would love to have one that big.  Not sure about the magnetized pieces concept.  While I’m sure it would be a great space saver, magnetizing all your pieces plus chips could get kind of pricy.
    I really love how you corrected certain borders.  I’m really impressed with what you did to SZ 10.  I really don’t like how it seems to go into nothingness because it borders no sea zone on the other side.  That was a really good improvement.  Plus, now Mexico has a little more space for pieces.  I also really like your convoy and kamikaze symbols.  It’s sometimes hard to see the ones on the original.
    The only thing I don’t care for, and it’s not because I think it’s bad but rather simply unnecessary, is your SZ 128 (the Caspian Sea, right?).  It’s basically a non-space like the Himalayas or the Pripet Marshes.  I guess it adds a little extra flavor to an already brilliant project, I just wouldn’t have spent the time on it.
    GREAT JOB!!

• @knp7765:

The only thing I don’t care for, and it’s not because I think it’s bad but rather simply unnecessary, is your SZ 128 (the Caspian Sea, right?).  It’s basically a non-space like the Himalayas or the Pripet Marshes.  I guess it adds a little extra flavor to an already brilliant project, I just wouldn’t have spent the time on it.
    GREAT JOB!!

Thank you for the complements.  Just to let you know, I added sz 128 to the Caspian Sea because it is a legitimate sea zone.  It shortens air movement through that part of the map.  It is in the errata.

• @knp7765:

Not sure about the magnetized pieces concept.  While I’m sure it would be a great space saver, magnetizing all your pieces plus chips could get kind of pricy.

That is an accurate statement you made.  This whole project has been more time intensive and more expensive than I would really care for.

• Customizer

Awesome.

I knew your map looked great but the printing turned out even more excellent. Great job.

• @gsh34:

Let me start by showing what I had to do in order to make my map. I had to resort to cutting up my existing map so that it would fit on my scanner and then I used Photoshop to put it back together. Along the way, I made many corrections and improvements (in my opinion at least) to the map.  I have it adhered to a sheet of metal and I will be magnetizing all of my pieces and chips so that it can be mounted on the wall where I can leave the game set up between play sessions. If anyone is wondering, I enlarged the map to 84" x 38.5".

Enjoy.

Also, a colossal thank you to the one and only Bob_A_Mickelson.  He gave me most of the ideas for areas I needed to improve the map on.  With out his editorial help, my map would be far less than what I can now look at for a long time into the future.

A big public Thank you to you Bob,
    GSH34

Beautiful Map! Can i download it from any site?

• This is looking really, really good! You are the man  :mrgreen:

• @Stefano1189:

Beautiful Map! Can i download it from any site?

No, there is no place to download it.  I had asked Wizards of the Coast for copyright approval to allow the file to be shared/downloaded and received a terse reply stating in no terms may I share this with another person.  Sorry.

• Customizer

I am curious as to how you got such a huge map printed out.  I understand scanning the sections of the original and using photoshop to sort of blend them back together.  Once you had the map finished, did you save it to something like a flash drive and take that to some professional printers that can handle printing really big stuff?  I am assuming that at home you have a regular printer like the rest of us (8 1/2 X 11).
    The reason I ask is that some other members have made up maps for free download but I couldn’t figure out how I would get them printed.  After all, who wants a map that is a bunch of 8 1/2 X 11 sheets?

• @knp7765:

I am curious as to how you got such a huge map printed out.  I understand scanning the sections of the original and using photoshop to sort of blend them back together.  Once you had the map finished, did you save it to something like a flash drive and take that to some professional printers that can handle printing really big stuff?  I am assuming that at home you have a regular printer like the rest of us (8 1/2 X 11).
    The reason I ask is that some other members have made up maps for free download but I couldn’t figure out how I would get them printed.  After all, who wants a map that is a bunch of 8 1/2 X 11 sheets?

Yes, I went to a professional printer.  One that deals in signage to be specific.  If you are curious about how I did it, PM me and I will give you all the pertinent information.

• @knp7765:

……The reason I ask is that some other members have made up maps for free download…

Could you point me in the direction of those down-loadable maps??

• The new descriptions and
    “signage”  you added to the map all
    seem to be the same font as the original map.

What is the name of the font and where did you get that font?

• Sooo, how much?

• @Hellmutt:

@knp7765:

……The reason I ask is that some other members have made up maps for free download…

Could you point me in the direction of those down-loadable maps??

I think if you look at the bottom of Imperious Leaders posts, he has a sticky that points to the maps he does.  Those are the only ones I know of off the top of my head that are free downloads.

• @Shakespeare:

The new descriptions and
    “signage”  you added to the map all
    seem to be the same font as the original map.

What is the name of the font and where did you get that font?

I have no idea what the font is.  I spent about two hours doing a ‘font search’ trying to find out what front the territory names were and never found out.  I ended up coping good letters on the board and replacing the ones found in the creases with them.  This took a fair amount of work for some areas (German territories in particular).

Now, when you talk about “signage”, are you referring to the “Adjacent to….” text I placed at the map edges?  If so, that was simply a font that came preloaded in Photoshop.  I just outlined it in black and made it semi-transparent.

• @Robbernosky:

Sooo, how much?

Too much time and money.  I’ll leave it at that.

• Ok, so I finally have everything magnetized.  Chips, country markers, air bases, naval bases, industrial complexes, factories, units…everything.  All together I used about 1600-1700 magnets.  Phew!!!  I don’t have the metal sheet mounted onto the plywood yet, but I set up the Alpha +.2 anyways to see how it looked.  Have a peek…

If you are wondering about that stack in Spain, I did that just to show the holding power of the magnets.  It is a stack of 35 infantry.  If you are wondering about the magnets, I used 1/4 inch wide x 1/32 inch thick neodymium magnet and epoxy glued them to the chips after using sand paper to roughen up one side of the chip and one side of the magnet.  Also, I would like to note with the board increased in size to 84" x 38.5", everything fits pretty easily onto the board.  No more units spilling over into other territories.  Yay!

100_3555.JPG

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m