Sgt. Wonko's & TMTM's 1940 Global Module for ABattlemap

• @Cmdr:

I seem to be a complete idiot…how do I get it to have the new directory name in the “new game” menu?

sorry to confuse you. If you want it to work in the same install of abattlemap as Alpha 2… you unzip the file to your desktop… then rename the folder T40.gim to T43.gim then open the folder T43.gim and delete the Start.aam file. Now cut the folder T43.gim from your desktop and paste it into the abattlemap folder… close and reopen abattlemap if you had it open… click on New and you should see “Axis & Allies: Global 1940 Alpha+.3” in the menu… select it… you’ll notice no units… because you’ll have to do it yourself due to having to change the folder name from T40.gim to T43.gim.

The other option is to install another abattlemap again… maybe just rename the install directory to C:\Program Files\Abattlemap2 and then you can just put the T40.gim folder in there and your ready to go with no units to setup. To use this install you might want to make a shortcut of the Abattlemap.exe and name it Abattlemap2

Did that work?

• @Stoney229:

@Cmdr:

I seem to be a complete idiot…how do I get it to have the new directory name in the “new game” menu?

I haven’t downloaded the new Alpha 3, but the MapInfo.txt contains the directory name you speak of.  it is edittable (this is in my tutorial).

Also, if you rename your ABattlemap directory as TMTM described above, your opponents will have to do the same - renaming with the exact same name if you want to open each other’s save files.  His idea of installing an entirely separate directory of ABattlemap is one I hadn’t thought of before - a good idea.  I don’t think I’ve tried it before, but I’m thinking it could work.  TMTM have you tried this?

Yeah, i have 2 installs to test out other ppls work… so if i dont like it… i dont have to reinstall the version of a module i do like.

• @TMTM:

I’ve completed Alpha +3. It will overwrite the current module… so if you have games you still want to play as alpha 2 you should wait.

www.axisandallies.us/T40.gim.zip - Alpha +.3

Let me know any mistakes in the module as this is a beta version and recommend only to advanced users of abattlemap.

do you have a changelog?

• i got it working, it seems this is an older alpha 3

• @Stoney229:

@TMTM:

I’ve completed Alpha +3. It will overwrite the current module… so if you have games you still want to play as alpha 2 you should wait.

Let me know any mistakes in the module as this is a beta version and recommend only to advanced users of abattlemap.

do you have a changelog?

I just went off the list at http://www.harrisgamedesign.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=6149

• @TMTM:

WHY??
    Why overwrite Alpha2… Alpha3 couldn’t just be in another folder?

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@TMTM:

Okay, so to just obliterate Alpha 2 (copy paste the directory under a different heading perhaps, so you can go back) just copy paste this new directory over the old one and go?

• @Cmdr:

@TMTM:

Okay, so to just obliterate Alpha 2 (copy paste the directory under a different heading perhaps, so you can go back) just copy paste this new directory over the old one and go?

If you don’t want them both installed simultaneously, just change the name of your old T40.gim, and put the new one in the ABattlemap folder with all the others and you’re good to go.  Don’t try opening the Alpha 2 one tho unless you reverse what you did (changing the name and putting in Alpha3), b/c it will probably crash ABattlemap.

@Stoney229:

@Cmdr:

@TMTM:

If you don’t want them both installed simultaneously, just change the name of your old T40.gim, and put the new one in the ABattlemap folder with all the others and you’re good to go.  Don’t try opening the Alpha 2 one tho unless you reverse what you did (changing the name and putting in Alpha3), b/c it will probably crash ABattlemap.

Wait, so if I change T40.gim to Alpha2.gim and then copy the new T40.gim into the Abattlemap directory, I cannot open the old Alpha 2 files?  I should be able too, they would just have the tiles slightly askew because of the changes to the map.bmp.  Right?

• im going to make this easy for everyone and just package alpha 3 as T43.gim and no overwrite problems and you can have both alpha2 and alpha3. New download file coming in a few minutes…

http://www.axisandallies.us/T43.gim.zip - this version does not overwrite the previous module of alpha 2 and sets up alpha 3 as a stand alone module and you need to setup the units yourself.

http://www.axisandallies.us/T40.gim.zip - this version overwrites alpha 2 with alpha 3

If you are playing another player they will need to have the same configuration for your maps to work between each other. Example: if you are using T40.gim… maps made from this module will only open with the T40.gim module and the same is for T43.gim.

If you go with T43.gim and want to have the units setup automatically when starting a new game… go ahead and setup all the units and then save the map as Start.aam and move that file (Start.aam) to Abattlemap/T43.gim folder and now when you open the module you’ll see the units already setup.

• @Cmdr:

@Stoney229:

@Cmdr:

@TMTM:

Wait, so if I change T40.gim to Alpha2.gim and then copy the new T40.gim into the Abattlemap directory, I cannot open the old Alpha 2 files?

correct, you would not be able to open the alpha2 module (unless you make some changes to it: name the .GIM something with 3 or fewer characters and recreate or delete the start.aam)

@Cmdr:

I should be able too, they would just have the tiles slightly askew because of the changes to the map.bmp.  Right?

since both modules have the same .GIM name, I’d guess you’re right that your old Alpha2 save files would open in the new module.  try it and let us know what you find.  perhaps this is why tmtm chose to keep the name.

• @TMTM:

im going to make this easy for everyone and just package alpha 3 as T43.gim and no overwrite problems and you can have both alpha2 and alpha3. New download file coming in a few minutes…

http://www.axisandallies.us/T43.gim.zip

probably a good idea.

I dont think you understood what I was asking.

I have a file that used the Alpha 2 map from the original T40.gim.  If I overwrite that directory will I be able to open the file but it will be on the new map?  I suspect the new map only changed the bottom charts, right?  The actual map itself shouldnt have changed any, just removing tiles from Start.aam or whatever the extension is.  So in theory, if I open an older file it will just have the bmp map under it changed all the tiles etc should still be where they are.

• @Cmdr:

I have a file that used the Alpha 2 map from the original T40.gim.  If I overwrite that directory will I be able to open the file but it will be on the new map?  I suspect the new map only changed the bottom charts, right?  The actual map itself shouldnt have changed any, just removing tiles from Start.aam or whatever the extension is.  So in theory, if I open an older file it will just have the bmp map under it changed all the tiles etc should still be where they are.

right… your old map files will open with the updated module T40.gim… just the NO chart is updated and a few small changes to the unit price chart and turn order chart. The Map/territory area is unchanged

• @TMTM:

@Cmdr:

right… your old map files will open with the updated module T40.gim… just the NO chart is updated and a few small changes to the unit price chart and turn order chart. The Map/territory area is unchanged

Wait… the turn order is changed?  if you changed the order of toolpieces to reflect a different turn order, then the pieces in her save file will be “swapped” also.  does that make sense?

• @Stoney229:

@TMTM:

@Cmdr:

I have a file that used the Alpha 2 map from the original T40.gim.  If I overwrite that directory will I be able to open the file but it will be on the new map?  I suspect the new map only changed the bottom charts, right?  The actual map itself shouldnt have changed any, just removing tiles from Start.aam or whatever the extension is.  So in theory, if I open an older file it will just have the bmp map under it changed all the tiles etc should still be where they are.

Wait… the turn order is changed?  if you changed the order of toolpieces to reflect a different turn order, then the pieces in her save file will be “swapped” also.  does that make sense?

i didnt mess with the toolpeices… i figured that wasn’t a big deal… I just changed the ipc chart at the top. This is still a work in progress… but totally workable and players can make the adjustment to the units/flags… I didn’t want to re-setup all the units… im lazy when it comes to that stuff.

@Stoney229:

@TMTM:

@Cmdr:

Wait… the turn order is changed?  if you changed the order of toolpieces to reflect a different turn order, then the pieces in her save file will be “swapped” also.  does that make sense?

Yea, I’ve had that problem myself when screwing with toolpiece colors etc.  I can live with British pieces on Japan and Japanese pieces on England for the one or two games left to complete in Alpha 2. ^_^

Okay.  So I can overwrite without any ill effect really, that’s all I was worried about.

• @Cmdr:

@Stoney229:

@TMTM:

@Cmdr:

Yea, I’ve had that problem myself when screwing with toolpiece colors etc.  I can live with British pieces on Japan and Japanese pieces on England for the one or two games left to complete in Alpha 2. ^_^

Okay.  So I can overwrite without any ill effect really, that’s all I was worried about.

yes, sounds like you’re clear

• @Cmdr:

@Stoney229:

@TMTM:

@Cmdr:

You could just use the T43.gim module for now so now with overwritting issues so you can evaluate it.

First thing I am going to note is that in the INCOME chart?  Why not change the words for Italy and ANZAC as well?  You dont have to edit the colors (I would, personally) but the words should at least be changed.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m