What is the best way to stop germany?

• how do you stop germany?

• Use a Allied bid at the start of the game.

• i was assuming allied bids here, basically wondering the overall strategy that is more efficiant

• Germany is screwed from the beginning.When they invade the u.s.s.r the soviets need to concentrate all tanks and artillery and 1 fighter to belorussia.( do send 20 infantry to belorussia as well),Buy all infantry through most of the whole game!!Get back the convoys. Invade north africa, italy, and eventually france. Use thew soviets for hit and run until the tide turns, then all out attack with them!!! Want me to explain more thourghly? just ask.

• considering that the germans can stack russia, i don’t think they are screwed

• Your right, germany isn’t always screwed.A good, concentrated attack on the soviet union and good sub tactics can win the war.

• Definitely send any & all Allied fighters to the defense of Mother Russia! Maybe even a bomber. These units can inflict damage on German forces by strafing (one round of attack covered by ground units, then retreat) - - and they are expensive for the Germans to destroy! Of course, the major order of the day is to use those valiant infantry for defense, defense, defense. I like to hold back the Red armor until after Germany commits a huge bunch of its own tanks first: Tigers make juicy targets.

• Well actually, I would suggest a major offensive in all areas, and blockade Germany.

• “Major offensive” espcially “in all areas” has a great ring to it, but it will help defeat Soviet if the Russian ground forces are worn down in attacking and then in defending newly taken turf. Soviet player must exercise selective, opportunistic attacking where and when German player leaves units underprotected.

The UK and US on the other hand, must do the major offensive at all costs. Of course, the UK’s offensive can only be “major” in the sense that it will consist of a whole bunch of minor attacks from the Mediterranean to the Atlantic and Baltic. The US must be the “blockader-in-chief” while UK must steadily build transports and keep at least one destroyer afloat to prepare for D-Day.

• When I play with the USSR. I play with a corridor stategy. There are 3 corridors.

1-The outside line is the border with germany. In this line I’ll put only infant. This is a great way to slow the germans down when they try to break the lines.

2-The next line is behind line 1. In this line I’ll put infant. and art. only. It has a good defense capabillity and is pretty strong in an attack. This line has a combined force of about 24 men and ten art. On the land with the industry, in the 2th line of defense, I’ll place only 10 men. This country is not as important as we think, and we can recapture it any time with our 3th line.

3-This is the hart of our defense. In this line is the expensive battle material. Tanks, bombers and planes. In this line I also put about 5 infant. and 2 art. each. With this line of defense you can also support the UK troops at the middle east and the northern peaces of land.

When germany attacks they will lose power to the first line. When they want to caputre an industry, they choose most of the time the one wich is most close to them. Again this territory is protected by 10 infant. When they capture it, germany is to weak to stand up to the 2th and 3th line of defense. And don’t forget we have great power in these lines. We can also combine al the power we have anywhere in our line to battle anywhere in our line. Whatever germany will do, they can always count on a counter strike from the USSR’s side. Meanwhile the UK an the USA control the seas and put out an supply line to the USSR. When this supply line has done it’s work, the allies can use their fleet for hit and run attacks with destroyers and battleships, or an invasion.

• Sneppie, I think the locals must call you Field Marshal Sneppie!! That sounds like a master strategy!

Of course, I’d like to punch a few holes through it. Maybe you would like to play as Soviet or Allies vs. me as Axis sometime…

• The problem with 3 lines of defence (instead of only 2 say - a frontline and a line to recover the front) is that it thins out the troops. With half the troops there is a better chance that they would be wiped out in the first round or two with a concerted German attack, keeping casualties for the Germans lighter. With 2 lines the Germans would sustain much heavier losses initially as it is more likely to go to 3-4 rounds - thus making it easier for the clean-up line.
    does this make any sense? Back me up here Ghoul.

• @cystic:

The problem with 3 lines of defence (instead of only 2 say - a frontline and a line to recover the front) is that it thins out the troops. With half the troops there is a better chance that they would be wiped out in the first round or two with a concerted German attack, keeping casualties for the Germans lighter. With 2 lines the Germans would sustain much heavier losses initially as it is more likely to go to 3-4 rounds - thus making it easier for the clean-up line.
    does this make any sense? Back me up here Ghoul.

Yeah, Mr. Ghoul, explain to cystic crypt how big blobs in Belorussian and Ukraine are all SOV player needs to mop up the Axis invasion (hee hee).

What makes this game so interesting to me is that how a player directs movements of forces can tip the balance to one side or the other over the course of the game, and how the outcomes can change from one game to the next. A three-line defense can work better for some styles of play, but a Soviet player with a different style could do better with a two-line defense – against a German player of a certain style, but not against a German player who maneuvers his forces differently.

Also, it is interesting to compare what happens on the board to the actual history of the war. The German army didn’t suffer such heavy losses in its first campaigns across Russia. In fact it was the supply line problems – and trying to cover so much newly gained territory from counterattack – that undermined their huge gains. I think on the board the parallel would be that the Soviet player accepts Axis penetration to a “second line” or “corridor” and then as Mr. Sneppie says hits the German much harder with the extra forces from the third line.

It is two sides to the same coin. Which player is going to “waste” its forces on the attack – and open the way for the opponent to deal severe punishment in the counterstrike? I find the game is reasonably well balanced, so the outcome sometimes depends on the dicerolls of the last few units…

• The most effective way I have found to defeat Germany is to build only bombers every turn with the USA and bomb them arround the clock. Also land US infantry in morocco on turn 1. Make artillery with Russia instead of infantry because you already have plenty of those and having massive numbers of 2’s is better than 1’s in a counter attack.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m