• '17 '16 Customizer

@Pelanderfunk:

@Maddog77:

One thing I know is that if I’m Japan, and Russia stacks all 18 Inf. together on R1, Japan will pounce on J1 w/ everthing it can muster. I still invade China & sever the Burma road, but w/o the Russian Inf. threatening Japan, I find it very effective for blitzing & gaining valuable Russian IPC’s and focusing on China & India on J2.

Would you still attack in alpha when it’s 18 inf + an AA?

I’ve played 2 games of Alpha now. Yep -sure would. (And have.)

• '17 '16 Customizer

@Peck:

If your going to attack japan with Russia it need to be done later in the game…. I like to back off a bit at first while I get a couple units on the western border of china.  Then when japan is  just about to go after Calcutta and china is almost out Russia moves in on all fronts taking either Manchuria/Korea or both and also back up china on their western front. This causes all sorts of problems for japan because they’re usually a little short on land units by this time.

I find this interesting. It’s been my expereince that Russia can ill-afford any additional units sent over China way as it’s got Germany coming in. At least while I’m playing the Axis.

• Run your 18 INF back to Moscow as fast as you can at game start…  You don’t have enough 2/3/4 attack strength units as the Soviets to stop the Germans if they are serious about Barabarossa from G1 builds on.  You’ll be glad you did when it comes down to the major battle for Moscow on G6/7, history repeating itself for the win.  Losing a few IPCs from the Japs doesn’t break the USSR immediately.

If Hitler decides to go for Sealion (or gets diced in E Poland  :-D), stop, and wait and see what the Japs are doing after a few territories inland.  I usually make a decision to counterattack or not around Yen or Tim if the Japs are threatening either through China or Siberia (though earlier counterattacks work if you can send a few planes to help).  Commiting a few offensive units to the stacks helps in spades, why its best to wait.  You can even help out in China and get your 2x stacking action with the Chinese.

• @SgtBlitz:

Run your 18 INF back to Moscow as fast as you can at game start…  You don’t have enough 2/3/4 attack strength units as the Soviets to stop the Germans if they are serious about Barabarossa from G1 builds on.  You’ll be glad you did when it comes down to the major battle for Moscow on G6/7, history repeating itself for the win.  Losing a few IPCs from the Japs doesn’t break the USSR immediately.

If Hitler decides to go for Sealion (or gets diced in E Poland  :-D), stop, and wait and see what the Japs are doing after a few territories inland.  I usually make a decision to counterattack or not around Yen or Tim if the Japs are threatening either through China or Siberia (though earlier counterattacks work if you can send a few planes to help).  Commiting a few offensive units to the stacks helps in spades, why its best to wait.   You can even help out in China and get your 2x stacking action with the Chinese.

I agree entirely with you here, SgtBlitz. I feel that some infantry should be left behind about midpoint to guard against any Japanse advances. A heavy air purchase R1 and/or R2 really makes this more flexible.

• Hmmmm interesting. I never played a game with Pacific (dont hanve the mod and dont own Pacific) but I’d pull them back slowly. Give the japs some ground to buy time for reinforcments. They’ll arive sooner than the japs cause your pulling back and they are advancing with tanks and mechs on front and infantry on the backfoot. Then make a final stand. Of course this doesnt take the Nazis into account though  :lol:

• '20 '19 '18 '16 '15 '11 '10

I consolidate and pull them back with AA away from the coast and do not divide them.

They become a real pain in the Axis for Japan.

• I play them defensively.  I find that if they march into china, they can only capture Korea, the rest go to China.  And Japan usually has a few spare subs just hanging around that are perfect for placing in the convoy zones off Asia.  Now the allies don’t even get the money for Asia they thought they were.  Meanwhile Japanese armies march deeper into China.

Also, supporting bmb purchases from moscow can’t even reach the front lines, better to withdraw and shorten your front, while getting closer to reserves.

• If they hold up the gaps, they are defensive in a sense.  I like them to get back from the coast, consolidate and crawl back to Moscow or threaten Japanese gains in the north.  I don’t like a straight run back unless Germany skips sea lion for a pure barbarossa

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m