What type of dice do you play with?

• The title is pretty self-explanatory. Which dice system do you use most often?

Regardless of whether you use LowLuck sometimes and Standard sometimes, which do you use MOST often?

• Low luck has its place but is an entirely different game.  I hate dicey and the crap it can serve up, but A&A is not A&A without the x-facor.  You need to have the element of the unknown.  Put on a poker face.  dare the other guy to make a gamble.  I love that.  Low luck takes away the gamble.

I use low luck calculations to calculate expected battle losses.  I found myself a better player when I use my hand-written calculations instead of relying on battle simulators.

• oh, and for the record I roll square ones. :-D

• I use FMG dice only.

• Standard.  I use the little 12mm dice.  I love being able to roll huge battles with 30+ dice in your hands and then either jump for joy when it goes awesome or weep like a kid when there are only three hits in the box. :-D

• Customizer

I use the FMG Combat Dice almost exclusively.  Since I don’t yet have ANZAC or France yet, I use black dice with red pips for ANZAC, black dice with white pips for France and white dice with black pips for all neutrals.  With any luck, I will get my France and ANZAC dice the end of this month so then I will just use them and the white dice for the neutrals.
    I guess they are standard dice.  I believe they are the 16mm size.  I don’t know what “low luck” or “no luck” dice are.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

I use FMG dice, but they never seem to roll well! I’m ordering more of them.

As for what I think, I always play standard dice.  But my BEST PLAY experience, has been the few games where I have played medium luck.

Some nobody around here invented it, but it’s awesome.  Everytime you can roll dice, you get to CHOOSE, whether you want to roll or take the statistical average + remainder die roll.  (Basically add up all the numbers of your attack/defense roll, and divide by 6.  Whatever number remains, you roll that, just like LL.)

It makes things REAL entertaining!

• @Gargantua:

I use FMG dice, but they never seem to roll well! I’m ordering more of them.

As for what I think, I always play standard dice.  But my BEST PLAY experience, has been the few games where I have played medium luck.

Some nobody around here invented it, but it’s awesome.  Everytime you can roll dice, you get to CHOOSE, whether you want to roll or take the statistical average + remainder die roll.  (Basically add up all the numbers of your attack/defense roll, and divide by 6.  Whatever number remains, you roll that, just like LL.)

It makes things REAL entertaining!

Very interesting concept…does each player get to decide separately, or does the attacker decide?

Each player decides on their own, EACH round of combat.  It works like a dandy.  If the question becomes technical, the attacker decides first, but it usually never comes to that.

It protects the players who often get bad dice, or have been diced in the current game earlier.  And it allows a surprise element for those whole love to take risks.

The BEST aspect, is unlike LL, which alters the game, the game is not fundamentally changed with Medium luck, because BOTH systems are used so interchangibly, for all due purpose it is still the dice system.  If anything, you are only offered a little bit more strategic control on the attack, but you still face dice alot.

• Standard rolls only. (and apparently the question wasn’t as clear as you thought with everyone talking about the type of actual dice being used instead of the dice rolling system used.  But on that topic, FMG Combat dice 100% of the time! :P)

• Where is the option for “wieghted?”

• weighted?  LOL!  how do I get a set of those for online play? :lol:

• '22 '19 '18

Since we are talking about dice, how exactly does low luck dice work?

• lol, Chad, it means it wont hurt Brian’s rolls :)

• speking of FMG dice… when are the ANZAC and French dice comin in? with the new italy units right? but when is all of that comin in?

• '10

Field Marshal COMBAT DICE

:-D

• TripleA

I only play LL or dice.

If no luck is what I think it is… I am not dealing with fractions and remainders… hell I tried EXTREME LOW LUCK once… just once… the math gets irritating after awhile.

Whats great with medium luck though is… say you NEED to get more than your “statistical” 2 hits + 1 dice at 2 for a max of 3 hits…

You ROLL,  and BOOM you get 2 hits with your inf/art, and then 2 hits with your 3 tanks!  AAAARRRG!  Eat that England.

• '22 '19 '18

@mantlefan:

Lowluck (for the person who asked) is where you add up the combat value of units on each side of a battle in each round, divide by 6 (and that’s how many hits you get), and roll one die for the remainder determining whether or not to add one more hit.

For example,

6 Artillery are attacking 4 tanks for some reason

Attacker
    6 Art, each has Attack value of 2.
    6x2=12
    12/6=2

So the attacker does 2 hits, no rolling necessary.

The defender has 4 tanks.
    4 tanks, each defends at 3
    4x3=12
    12/6=2

So the attacker does 2 hits.

So what happens when the total is not easily divisible by 6
    For example,

Attacker has
    2 inf, 1 art, 3 tanks.

1 inf: 1
    1 inf with artillery support: 2
    1 Art: 2
    3 tanks: 9 (3x3)

1+2+2+9=14

14/6 =2, with a remainder of 2.
    So gets 2 automatic hits, plus they roll one die at 2 to try to get a third hit.

Thanks for the explanation.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m