What do you name the various operations and gambits?

• What do you name the various operations and gambits, either historically based, or A&A specific?

And what do you think the difference is between an operation and a gambit? To me, an operation takes place over 2 or more rounds and has a reasonable chance of success, while a gambit happens on one turn, and the chance of success is not as high as an operation.

For example:

• Operation Sea Lion: The German invasion of the UK.

• Operation Overlord: The Allied invasion of Northwest Europe.

• The Norwegian Gambit: Russian attack on Norway R1. The first mention of this I saw was in a post from Granada. I don’t know if this is actually the first mention, so set the record straight if I’m wrong.

• Operation Polar Express: The Japanese invasion of the US via a northern route. This seems to have been more of an option in earlier versions of the game, but I’ve seen it mentioned occasionally.

• Operation AI (AKA Hawaii Operation): The Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.

What else is there? Would you consider Germany invading Egypt a gambit? How about a UK landing on Borneo?

• G1 Egypt attack is El-Alamein for us.

• I’ve got several:
    Operation Iron Horde is a Russian attack on East Asia (a nod to G Khan’s Golden Horde);
    Operation Hannibal is a US invasion of Southern Europe(as it hinges on getting tanks over the Alps);
    Operation Norwegian Wood is a British attack through Norway (and a Beatles song);
    Operation Fat Albert is a German offensive through the Middle East (a round-about reference to Alexander the Great);
    Operation Almanac is a bilateral Axis effort to grab British territory (making the UK Poor Richard);
    Operation Holyfield is a Japanese strategy based on using its capital ships and air power against US Pac fleets (counter-punching).

• i think operation almanac is more of a strategy than an operation, and operation holyfield is just naval tactics, not an operation.

still, that’s pretty clever  :-D

• When I write about operations, I usually just make up silly names when I can.

like Operation Cat’s Meow, or Operation Pizza Delivery.  Or my favorite, Operation Roll a Lot of 1’s.  (the last is SUPER good if you can get it to work, like SUPER good.)

So when you get crusty vets that talk about Polar Express, I just start talking about Cat’s Meow, and use a lot of really vague pronouns, like “when I hit that thing with the attack dudes, the thing will happen then the other thing.”  then I keep it real with comments like “with lots of income” or “I get four more units this way than the other way” - not COMPLETELY vague, mind you, just specific enough to make it sound like I know what I’m talking about, but vague enough to piss off anyone trying to understand me.  Then if anyone asks me questions, I use Operation Call U A Nub.  :roll:  Yo, EVERYBODY knows Operation Cat’s Meow, yo.  EVERYBODY.

But SERIOUSLY, using names for operations just screws with people a lot, so I try consciously not to do it.  Like “Operation Goatf**k” which is what I use to refer to the German counter to a failed Russian Triple.  How is anyone else going to know that means?  I mean, obviously there’s a goat, and obviously there’s some f’ing involved, but exactly how does it happen?

So in summing up, I say don’t use funny names for operations or gambits.  It just confuses people, and nobody’s going to know what the f* you are talking about most of the time.  If you don’t agree, just remember Operation Cat’s Meow.  There will be a quiz on it on Thursday.  :evil:

• @Bunnies:

There will be a quiz on it on Thursday.   :evil:

Will it be a surprise quiz? I hate it when I don’t get a chance to prepare  :?

• @MtnGoatJoe:

@Bunnies:

There will be a quiz on it on Thursday.   :evil:

Will it be a surprise quiz? I hate it when I don’t get a chance to prepare  :?

Yes, it will be a surprise one, so please forget this conversation took place until next thursday   :-D

• Btw… after reading this thread, I’ve come up with a name for thing I do while playing:

Operation Cornflakes

Of course, the nature of the operation is Top Secret, so I’m not at liberty to provide further details, in the interest of national security.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m