• Will an AB in Normandy be effective strategy sealion in oob as well? Never really thought of that one before until reading recent posts. Just to bad can’t use scramble.

• Please elaborate

@miragehunter:

Will an AB be effective strategy sealion in oob as well? Never really thought of that one before until reading recent posts. Just to bad can’t use scramble.
    [/quote

• Never mind on my earlier post about putting an AB in Normandy is not all that helpful i realized. I was reading in another post about an AB strategy for alpha +.2 and it doesn’t seem helpful in that respect as well. Sorry just realized that forgot write down Normandy. Doesn’t help when you think faster than you type.

• DO YOU STILL PLAY AXIS AND ALLIES –--    RED_CASTLE_01@HOTMAIL.COM

• '17

@miragehunter:

Will an AB in Normandy be effective strategy sealion in oob as well? Never really thought of that one before until reading recent posts. Just to bad can’t use scramble.

IMHO no.

But an airbase in Holland built the same turn Sea Lion is executed is not a bad idea. Here’s why:

1. Assume that 5 or more of your planes aren’t shot down by the UK AAA (this happened to me recently; was devastating). Only an average 1-2 planes (1 plane per 6 dice is average); but hopefully none are hit :)

2. Assume that the Russian bear is bearing down; you’re facing a smart player who knows to stack in E. Poland on R2 or R3 to get rich.

3. You need all of your remaining air to either counter punch or at least be in position to hit the territories taken. Most of them are landing on Holland after Sea Lion. Sometimes I buy my carrier the turn Sea Lion occurs instead of an air base; but not both.

4. A scramble threat to SZ110 could save your German fleet from a quickly staged US threat; remember the German fleet usually packs a huge stack of transports but a minimal amount of surface warships.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

its an OK move, it might save your BB.    It doesn’t really create a range advantage.  It does allow you to scramble over your fleet that just SL’d, why wouldn’t it?  A+2 is obsolete, A+3 is the origin of the modern OOB core build

• '17

I count 4 spaces to Romania and 4 spaces to E. Poland from Holland. I’ve found that after SL my planes are usually out of position and not able to be used against Russia on G4. I tried the AB on Holland only two times. It worked out for me one time. I don’t prefer to do it; I’ll say its an “adequate” option.

What’s a A+3 OOB core build? I know what the acronym OOB means.

If you mean a carrier G1 build, ect…well I don’t do that. To me SL is only an opportunity thing requiring several factors to convince me of a chance it won’t be pyrrhic.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

The 2010 era  Ruleset was called Alpha, for “First Edition Global 1940”.  Extensive revisions to the setup were then made, through multiple iterations (Alpha +1, +2, +3) and the final version was then slightly modified into “Second Edition Global 1940” which was published and circulated a few years later…2012-3 I think.

Anyway, Alpha +3 was a playtest version that was circulated on the internet for improved play and was then published, so that’s what we recognize today as “G40”.  Only a few other minor map changes and rule wordings were changed.    Piece sculpts are different, artillery is very confusingly similar to flak guns, the smaller teams didn’t have their own molds just copies of the other molds.  Second Edition is far superior as a purchase, since First is obsolete.

That means that there are 3 official Rulesets (Alpha, Alpha +3 G40, G42).  You could go back and play the first edition (alpha 1), I bought in after that, so I’ve only seen the boxes, never played.  its radically different starting pieces for all teams.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m