Sgt. Wonko's & TMTM's 1940 Global Module for Abattlemap

• @Sgt.:

Just had a thought Stoney. I made some changes to TMTM’s mod using the Sektor Editor inside Battlemap. When I open the sektorinfo text document it still has the old titles. Could that be an issue?

that won’t be the issue - abattlemap doesn’t actually use the text document.  However, someone should probably make a text document from the .SEK so that it is consistent for anyone who wishes to, say, edit the IPC value locations.
    @Stoney229:

To use rsek.exe to create a new SektorInfo.txtN file out of an existing SektorInfo.sekL file, type “rsek.exe SektorInfo.sek > SektorInfo.txt” (no quotes).  SektorInfo.sekL will remain in your folder and a new SektorInfo.txtN will appear.  Note that the required “>” between the source and destination files is unique to this tool.

This is a really good map, and much like the one I was working on but probably better!, and I have had a lot of stuff come up that I’d really prefer to spend my time on so I think I will be abandoning my own module project.  A couple ideas I had that you could incorporate if you wanted to-

IPC values printed on the map (in a way that looks better and is less tedious than the plain and white-on-blue of the program’s IPC value display option)

putting the “board” on a “table” with pieces, etc.  This could look really nice if you have all the pieces and stuff spread out on the table, but more importantly it provides a function I’ve always wanted: the ability to put the floating windows on the edge of the big window and “scroll” past the map so that you don’t have to move the floating windows to see the edge of the map.  However, you have this function is almost in your map anyway because you have the dead space in the upper right.  Also, if you made this area black on the sektorinfo.bmp/.MAP, people could use it a like a mobilization zone to plan out their purchases and/or a task force gather zone if they want/like.  You could also do this with the area in the upper-right (if you make it black in the sektorinfo.BMP/.MAP).  if you wanted to do this, it should probably be released with the next module that includes the next official version of the rules/NOs that everyone would be downloading as it would have to be a new module entirely anyway (incompatible with this one).

example:

• Stoney, I wasn’t aware there were a lot more changes in the works.  Are you just speculating, or has Larry been talking?

• @gamerman01:

Stoney, I wasn’t aware there were a lot more changes in the works.  Are you just speculating, or has Larry been talking?

speculating.  he is calling “alpha”, not “beta”, after all.

• a couple more little things, just to throw them out there:

did you know you can make all the Soviet #1 NO boxes into a single box, that would give the power 3 IPC for each german territory it controls?  (you could also do this with Germany #2, #7; Jap #4; UK #5).  Alternatively, you could make any of these and several others entirely automatic so that they’re not forgotten - or someone could make a version of the module with all these being automatic and yet still compatible with the non-auto version.

Also, if this is going to be the definitive module, the aesthetics of the bars on bottom and top could be improved nicely without too much trouble if someone wants to try their hand at it.  I say this just to say if anyone wants to use any of the graphics I produced for the toolbars in my g40 preview module (as Func did), you are more than welcome to steal them.

• 2007 AAR League

@Stoney229:

a couple more little things, just to throw them out there:

did you know you can make all the Soviet #1 NO boxes into a single box, that would give the power 3 IPC for each german territory it controls?  (you could also do this with Germany #2, #7; Jap #4; UK #5).  Alternatively, you could make any of these and several others entirely automatic so that they’re not forgotten - or someone could make a version of the module with all these being automatic and yet still compatible with the non-auto version.

Also, if this is going to be the definitive module, the aesthetics of the bars on bottom and top could be improved nicely without too much trouble if someone wants to try their hand at it.  I say this just to say if anyone wants to use any of the graphics I produced for the toolbars in my g40 preview module (as Func did), you are more than welcome to steal them.

The next improvment I’d really like to see, is Convoy damage automatically calculated without having to put down markers.  Hehe…we are a demanding lot! :lol: :lol: :lol:

• @Stoney229:

@Sgt.:

Just had a thought Stoney. I made some changes to TMTM’s mod using the Sektor Editor inside Battlemap. When I open the sektorinfo text document it still has the old titles. Could that be an issue?

that won’t be the issue - abattlemap doesn’t actually use the text document.  However, someone should probably make a text document from the .SEK so that it is consistent for anyone who wishes to, say, edit the IPC value locations.
    @Stoney229:

To use rsek.exe to create a new SektorInfo.txtN file out of an existing SektorInfo.sekL file, type “rsek.exe SektorInfo.sek > SektorInfo.txt” (no quotes).  SektorInfo.sekL will remain in your folder and a new SektorInfo.txtN will appear.  Note that the required “>” between the source and destination files is unique to this tool.

This is a really good map, and much like the one I was working on but probably better!, and I have had a lot of stuff come up that I’d really prefer to spend my time on so I think I will be abandoning my own module project.  A couple ideas I had that you could incorporate if you wanted to-

IPC values printed on the map (in a way that looks better and is less tedious than the plain and white-on-blue of the program’s IPC value display option)

putting the “board” on a “table” with pieces, etc.  This could look really nice if you have all the pieces and stuff spread out on the table, but more importantly it provides a function I’ve always wanted: the ability to put the floating windows on the edge of the big window and “scroll” past the map so that you don’t have to move the floating windows to see the edge of the map.  However, you have this function is almost in your map anyway because you have the dead space in the upper right.  Also, if you made this area black on the sektorinfo.bmp/.MAP, people could use it a like a mobilization zone to plan out their purchases and/or a task force gather zone if they want/like.  You could also do this with the area in the upper-right (if you make it black in the sektorinfo.BMP/.MAP).  if you wanted to do this, it should probably be released with the next module that includes the next official version of the rules/NOs that everyone would be downloading as it would have to be a new module entirely anyway (incompatible with this one).

example:

Thats a great idea to have the off board area to set the tool bars so they aren’t covering anything. I hope you won’t abandon your module… I was looking forward to seeing it… I assumed yours would be same size as Func’s and offer something unique… you could offer up the source files and let others forward it. Well you do get a lot of the credit for this module T40.gim… its all based off your work and Func’s.

• Yea, it’s a really neat idea having an actual board on the table. I’d be cool to see complete, I hope you change your mind.

@Stoney229:

I was wondering if there was a way to have the NO’s calculated automatically. That would be a vast improvement. Auto convoy would be pretty nice too.

Where can I find the toolbars for the the g40 preview module? It would be nice to do a complete redesign of the top and bottom charts. I messed around with them a bit but I don’t know how to make changes to where the sectors are located on the map yet so I just left them in the position there in.

• I wonder if it’s possible to have the image scroll continuously around the map. Always annoying transferring troops from EUS to WUS.

• @Sgt.:

I wonder if it’s possible to have the image scroll continuously around the map. Always annoying transferring troops from EUS to WUS.

that will have to be an idea for a future version of Abattlemap

• Pretty cool how you guys have been able to work together using each other’s work.  We’re all winners.

• @TMTM:

that will have to be an idea for a future version of Abattlemap

Yea, it’s not the biggest issue. But it would still be a nice touch.

@gamerman01:

Pretty cool how you guys have been able to work together using each other’s work.  We’re all winners.

I was actually going to create my own mod with the Alpha 2 adjustments and then I noticed that TMTM was building one so I figured there wasn’t any point in duplicating the work. It was fun working on the map though.

• I’ve updated the file to have some better contrast for territory names. I also deleted the French navy on the 5th row, and the convoy damage marker on the 8th row since those aren’t used anymore.

• Downloaded your latest -
    Um, there are some unsightly squiggle marks on the territory of Russia.  Didn’t notice any other issues, but I didn’t do a full-scale check of every territory and starting units, either.

• Whoops, corrected now. There was also an additional seazone border in sz113.

• Just noticed that West India was a UKE territory and Yukon/British Columbia were UKP territories. Fixed it in Sektor editor.

http://www.mediafire.com/?nux5db42xbnh827

• Having some trouble.  Got the 8.0 edition with TMTM’s AA50 colored map.  My partner can download my maps, but I can’t load up his.  Does the map have to be in the T40 folder or something.  Help. :-(

• You shouldn’t have to move your partner’s AAM map file into the T40 folder (if that’s what you mean). Does he have the same version of Battlemap and TMTM mod as you? If you put a link up to where your partner is posting his maps I can check if I can view them.

• @questioneer:

Having some trouble.  Got the 8.0 edition with TMTM’s AA50 colored map.  My partner can download my maps, but I can’t load up his.  Does the map have to be in the T40 folder or something.  Help. :-(

they have to have been created with the same module… meaning that each of your module are in the same folder such as “T40.gim” the map file tells abattlemap to open the save map using a specific module found in a specific folder. Also try closing abattlemap and reopening it or rebooting.

• @Stoney229:

@TMTM:

@Stoney229:

@TMTM:

I’ve finished the first version of my module. Its based on the modules of Funcioneta and Stoney229… what I did was make the map bigger and put all the NO’s on their own chart and the artwork is different as well. Give it a try and let me know of any improvements or fixes it needs… I’m also providing a link to the Paint.net source files… you just need Paint.net which can be found at www.getpaint.net

You will notice a few differences… like damage… you’ll need to use the damage icon toolpeice to do damage… this is done to prevent overdamaging. Anyway feel free to use the source files and make the artwork/module better or let me know what you’d like changed.

TMTM’s G40 Alpha2 module http://www.axisandallies.us/T40beta1.zip

The source files http://www.axisandallies.us/T40gimsourcefiles.zip

how would there be overdamaging?

Hey Stoney! A player at AAMC.net who asked me to build this module told me that you can over damage the UK/Scotland with zones 119 and 109. If you put 8 damage in z109 it will do the max damage allowed to the 2 combined but if you also add 2 damage to z119 it ends up damaging you 10 when the limit is 8… thats what I was told

Hmm I see never noticed that before since Pacific does not have anywhere with 2 convoy zones touching the same territory.  That needs to be fixed, b/c it can happen a few places on the europe map.

Someone asked me about this again… so I went search for the official answer… and I guess my source is wrong. Read here: http://www.harrisgamedesign.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=4964

• @TMTM:

@Stoney229:

@TMTM:

@Stoney229:

@TMTM:

I’ve finished the first version of my module. Its based on the modules of Funcioneta and Stoney229… what I did was make the map bigger and put all the NO’s on their own chart and the artwork is different as well. Give it a try and let me know of any improvements or fixes it needs… I’m also providing a link to the Paint.net source files… you just need Paint.net which can be found at www.getpaint.net

You will notice a few differences… like damage… you’ll need to use the damage icon toolpeice to do damage… this is done to prevent overdamaging. Anyway feel free to use the source files and make the artwork/module better or let me know what you’d like changed.

TMTM’s G40 Alpha2 module http://www.axisandallies.us/T40beta1.zip

The source files http://www.axisandallies.us/T40gimsourcefiles.zip

how would there be overdamaging?

Hey Stoney! A player at AAMC.net who asked me to build this module told me that you can over damage the UK/Scotland with zones 119 and 109. If you put 8 damage in z109 it will do the max damage allowed to the 2 combined but if you also add 2 damage to z119 it ends up damaging you 10 when the limit is 8… thats what I was told

Hmm I see never noticed that before since Pacific does not have anywhere with 2 convoy zones touching the same territory.  That needs to be fixed, b/c it can happen a few places on the europe map.

Someone asked me about this again… so I went search for the official answer… and I guess my source is wrong. Read here: http://www.harrisgamedesign.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=4964

Wow  :-o !  That is counter-intuitive - but I guess it means the auto-convoy system isn’t broken after all.  You could re-introduce autoconvoys in your module then by re-releasing a replacement UnitStats.txt and instructing people to remove damage counter ships from their games before installing it.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m