USA/UK land units in Russia - Russia/Japan not at war?

• This question came up in a game I’m playing on the forums. If Russia and Japan are not at war can the USA/UK land units into Russian territory in the Pacific side of the map? I would assume that if Russia is at war with Germany then the other allies can land units in Russia. But according to the Alpha +2 update:

“3: If the Soviet Union is at war with Axis powers on only one map, it is still under the restrictions of being a neutral power. In other words, war with Japan lifts those restrictions from the USSR on the Pacific map only, and war with Germany and/or Italy lifts those restrictions on the Europe map only.”

Does that mean that Russian units wouldn’t be able to board allied transports or land on allied carriers in the Pacific as well? And can Russia invade Mongolia if only at war with Germany/Italy?

• @Sgt.:

This question came up in a game I’m playing on the forums. If Russia and Japan are not at war can the USA/UK land units into Russian territory in the Pacific side of the map? I would assume that if Russia is at war with Germany then the other allies can land units in Russia. But according to the Alpha +2 update:

“3: If the Soviet Union is at war with Axis powers on only one map, it is still under the restrictions of being a neutral power. In other words, war with Japan lifts those restrictions from the USSR on the Pacific map only, and war with Germany and/or Italy lifts those restrictions on the Europe map only.”

Does that mean that Russian units wouldn’t be able to board allied transports or land on allied carriers in the Pacific as well? And can Russia invade Mongolia if only at war with Germany/Italy?

Yes, that means that on the Pac side they can’t land on carriers, board transports, or have UK or US units in Russian territories until at war with Japan.  And Russia can’t go into China or Mongolia without declaring war on Japan.

• So that means a bunch of American units moving eastward across Russia have to stop at an imaginary line at the Urals? Seems kind of silly. Especially when you consider that they could just swing down to China and attack Japan that way.

• @Sgt.:

So that means a bunch of American units moving eastward across Russia have to stop at an imaginary line at the Urals? Seems kind of silly. Especially when you consider that they could just swing down to China and attack Japan that way.

If you don’t like it, then Russia should attack Japan.  Roosevelt was trying to convince Stalin to attack Japan for ages.

Besides, when you get down into it, the very idea of “a bunch of American units moving eastward across Russia” is silly (at least from a historic standpoint).  In my opinion, Russia should never be allowed to have allied units in it’s original territories as long as Moscow is still Russian (come up with some half exchange for allied units and change them to russian) and Russia should have to attack ANY neutral to take control (pro allied or not).  But those are just my own flavor rules.

• Yea, I suppose it’s unlikely for allied units to be trekking across Russia. Still it is a bit odd that in the same round a Russian fighter can land on a US carrier in the Atlantic but not in the Pacific.

I guess the rule is the way it is in the interest of simplicity. It did sort out the whole Russia going to war with Japan in order to take neutrals in Europe thing.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m