• Good day to you all!

I am De Gaulle and I have been checking the forums for a while now and am a avid Axis and Allies player. Anyway, I am planning on making 2 more factions for the 1940 game. They are Canada and the Balkan Axis. Now for Canada, Im using the canadian territories, and for the Balkan Axis Im using Slovakia-Hungary, Romania, and Bulgaria. The capitals are Ontario and Romania. Now Im not sure what colors to paint them, or what the best technique is to do so. I would appreciate some guidance on it and approximate cost if any one can help me. I plan on having the Balkans being on the axis side but only at war with the western allies. And Canada at war with all axis.

Another problem I have is national objectives. Im giving the Balkans a NO to take Bessarabia and get 5 ipcs for it because the Soviets annexed it from Romania. But for Canada, Im not so sure. I was thinking about a 10ipc NO for Canada each turn the U.K capital is under U.K control. Because Canada gave much material aid to the British and this would represent the Brits buying Cnadian goods. Any help would be much appreciated! The NOs and painting are my major concerns!

• Customizer

How about this…

Balkan Axis

Change to Minor Axis Powers. Includes Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Finland (leave Siam for the Japanese) Starting IPCs = 6 (Bulgaria and Finland are still neutral) Capital is still Romania which has a minor IC.

+5 IPCs for Axis minors controlling all of their original territories (including Bessarabia and Vyborg)

+5 IPCs for some other hard (and somewhat historical) goal. The trick will be making it something that they have to achieve and not Germany.

The Result: At the end of its first turn it will receive 9 IPCs. Once war is declared it will be getting 14 IPCs.

Canada 7 IPCs
    +5 IPCs for Allies control of all Canadian territories plus Newfoundland.
    (Corresponds nicely with ANZACs all ANZAC and Malaya scheme.)

+5 IPC if Canada has land units in Normandy, France, or Netherlands.
    (Historical nod to Canada’s major contributions for D-Day.)

The Result: Canada will receive 12 IPCs most turns. Thats enough to buy any units except a AC or BB. Canada will have more options but not be too overpowered. Canada’s contributions will likely focus on Air and Naval. This lines up with history quite well.

UK
    Change + for UK & Canadian territories to +5 control of gibralter, malta, and egypt.
    (The net effect will be about the same but NOs wont be redundant.)

• I like your ideas very much!

Now when you say Bulgaria and Finland are neutral, does that mean they stay Pro-Axis neutrals and the territory only provides infantry? I was thinking about Finland, but they seemed too isolated, and I gave the Minor Axis (I like that name) Bulgaria to be on equal income with Canada. I put a minor in Romania like you but also a naval and airbase, they have a small fleet.

Yes Canada ones are brilliant! Im gonna implement these NOs if you dont mind? And do you know anything about the best paint to use or the best primer?

• Customizer

Honestly i haven’t thought about the axis minors too much. I suppose that if Bulgaria is neutral it will likely be activated by Romania. thats why i grouped it that way. However Finland would likely be activated by Germany, so maybe the neutral status will need to be revoked.  I just find it odd to group all the European minors together except Finland. Its your scenario. Play it as you like and let us know how it turned out.

• Customizer

As far as Canada is concerned, I would look into adding a few new units like:

British Columbia +1 inf
    Onterio +1 inf
    Quebec +1 fighter, +1 bomber
    SZ 120 + 1 trans

I think that will make Canada very playable by C3.

Note: with G3 a German attack London has been shortchanged 3 infantry by creating Canada. Now instead of England having British 3 inf. Canada can contribute 1 fighter and 1 bomber by then. Slightly worse defending odds, but given that the fighter could scramble it should be an interesting trade. Well thats the way it looks to me off the top of my head without any calculations. You could also replace the French fighter in London with a Canadian one too if you want Canada to have some more punch.

• Well Finland only concentrated on Russia, but then again Bulgaria never declared war on Russia. I just thought of putting them there because they all neighbor each other. And I gave Canada 1 inf in British Columbia, and a crusier off that territory. I also gave them another Transport, destroyer, sub, and Cruiser, in sz91. Land wise they have an infantry in Normandy, and I replaced one Brit inf in U.K for Canadian one. I also gave them another inf and a fighter in Qubec. The British units in and around Canada were all replaced with Canadian peices.

• So can anyone give me tips for painting? Best types? Will spray paint work? Do I need primer? I am not looking for super detailed uniform painting like making the skin tone and detailing everything, just simple new color coats for British and German peices from Spring 1942 for the Canadians and Minor axis. I wanna make Canada white, and Minor Axis yellow. I already tried an experiment on an U.S infantryman with black sparay paint, but the paint just easily scratches off. Please help!

• @De:

So can anyone give me tips for painting? Best types? Will spray paint work? Do I need primer? I am not looking for super detailed uniform painting like making the skin tone and detailing everything, just simple new color coats for British and German peices from Spring 1942 for the Canadians and Minor axis. I wanna make Canada white, and Minor Axis yellow. I already tried an experiment on an U.S infantryman with black sparay paint, but the paint just easily scratches off. Please help!

Various painting tips can be found here:

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=13965.0

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=20025.0

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=16956.0

• My experience is that primer is a must; maybe someone out there knows of something that will work perfectly in just those two colors without primer… or maybe you can find a good spray primer in white and yellow and quit with that.  Ask CoachofMany… he does quite a bit of exactly the sort of painting you’re talking about and I bet he knows all the tricks, if he’ll share them with you!

• Oh, btw, CoachofMany can probably sell you complete Canada and Axis minor sets complete with control markers that are already painted for you… check out his site

• Yes I have seen Coachofmany’s site and intend to purchase roundels, but I wanted to try painting myself. So Primers a must huh? Well then guess I need that. And Coachofmany, if your reading, could you be generous enough to share your technique? Its fine if you dont, but even just a tip would be welcomed.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m