Russian Newbie Needs Strategy Tips

• I just recently began playing a game of Axis and Allies with a few freinds of mine. After reading through the rule book, we picked sides, and I’ve been given Russia. This is my first game and I could use any extra information. Does anyone know any basic strategies I could use or tips to help?

• You should do a search on this site and across the internet, there are lots of well written essays etc.

All agree on all infantry builds unless you have 2 ipc left over, then build 1 tank rather than an infantry. Pick you battles carefully, don’t launch a major attack only to lose all the pieces on a counter attack. If you see territories with 1 or 2 infantry then attack it with 1 more infantry than the defender has and use 1 fighter, unless there is only 1 attack then use both.

Co-operation is the key, if you allies have a few extra land units with air then they can help by clearing out 1 or 2 lightly held territories. You will most likely need help in defending.

Most importantly, just play and have fun!

BB

• Don’t listen to BigBlocky cause he aint know what he talk about!!

The basic Russian Strategy that will never fail is that of a defensive player.
    Just build as much infantry you can every go. Place them in Karelia because if Germany decides to attack they’ll go for Caucasus and this will give you the opportunity to retreat your troops back to Russia.

Once your allies start deploying reinforcements in Karelia Germany will have no other choice than to attack Russia. This will be to your advantage because Germany will be attacking with infantry mainly along with some planes and tanks, their infantry only attack on a 1 and your infantry defend on a 2 or a 1. They will quickly get mowed down and will be easy to conquer. NOTE: Do not attack Germany let them make the first move because even though you may have more units they will still have a better defence because your attack force consists mainly of infantry and you will be annihilated. You can start building other units when the erman threat is taken care of or when you start receiving sufficent allied reinforcements.

The war is normally decided by the fall or successful defense of Russia.
    I have tried this a number of times and if you attack Germany 9 out of 10 times you get owned and if you defend 10 out of 10 times you defend successfully unless your roll really bad!!

You may also want to attack Manchuria!!

• The only thing I would like to add is this: yes, stack Karelia as much as possible. Also, stack all your eastern units in Yakut to make a small wall to stop the Japanese for a few turns. Also your allies, US and UK, should be sending wave upon wave of reinforcements to Karelia as soon as possible. Then, when the chance presents itself, UK or US should try and take EE from the Germans. This blocks Germany from attacking Karelia with armour from the capital. Yes, Germany will re-take EE each turn, but by having the US and UK keep taking it back each time, Karelia is protected behind this “buffer zone” while Germany is prevented from hitting it full-force. This buys Russia some flexibility in its infantry placement; it can even send a few much-needed helpers down to the capital to fend off the Japanese.

Also, while the US and UK are busy sending waves of infantry to Karelia, have the US build at least one fighter every other turn. Send these fighters to Russia or Karelia. After a while, you will have a formidable defensive force of fighters in Russia/Karelia - a force that will rock Japan or Germany if they choose to attack it. Right now I am playing as the Allies, and after building up Russia with infantry from the US and UK, I have been sending US fighters over as well. I now have a total of 10 Allied fighters defending Karelia and Russia! This force will be deadly if my opponent is foolish enough to attack me!

• Well put Guess!

In addition, U.K. must destroy the German navy A.S.A.P. U.K. must also send both fighters to Karelia or Russia to help strenghten the defense.

It also helps if U.K. and/or the U.S.A. can eliminate Germany from Africa.

Also, if U.S.A. can ever capture Finland/Norway – this is a great place for U.S.A. to place an I.C. (even if it does only have an I.P.C. value of 2).

Just make sure you stack infantry with Russia!

Mista Biggs 8)

• First off, i agree with Big Blocky. He’s right. You don’t go very offensively as Russia, but pick up the odd dead zone if it is offered to you. You want a buffer between the German front line and Caucasus if you can get it - if only to slow down the tanks.
    Also it is a major pain for the allies to take (and retake) Eastern Europe. Rather than just land troops on West Eu which is a turn for the US - this move requires 2 turns for the US. It also makes boats more vulnerable to German planes. What i mean is that it takes a while to do anything on the mainland outside of west EU. Also i generally leave Manchuria alone. Unless it’s an easy pick with few expected losses, you’re simply spreading out your forces.
    If you want to see some good strat as Russia - check out the games section and look in on a game where Darth Maximus or Kobu (both) or Big Blocky are playing, and generally you’ll pick up some good early moves.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m