Question : Kamikaze attack rule in Alpha 2

• Hello,

Alpha 2 says:

13. Kamikaze Strike: The capture of certain islands (Iwo Jima, etc.) is no longer required to activate kamikaze - they can be used at any time. If an Allied power attacks Japanese units in or conducts an amphibious assault from a sea zone containing the Kamikaze symbol, the Japanese player can announce at the beginning of the Conduct Combat phase, of that round, that he or she intends to launch a kamikaze strike. (Note: Kamikaze strikes are now triggered by combat, not combat movement.) See page 14 (Pacific 1940) for specific details as to how Kamikaze strikes are conducted.

So if I understand right, there’s no Kamikaze during Non combat moves. Right?
    Actually, was there in OOB rules? (not that important, just wondering).

So, for instance, for any territory without ennemy ships in sea zone (with Kamikaze symbol) I could move US transport alone, unload and move warships during non combat phase. In this scenario Kamikaze could never be triggered since they can’t target transport (nor submarines for that matter) and they can’t be triggered during non combat phase.

Am I right?

Thank you.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Yes.

• Official Q&A

@BigBadBruce:

Actually, was there in OOB rules? (not that important, just wondering).

No.

• Great, thanks to you two.

Again, fast and clear answer. Very appreciated  :-)

LOL wow terrible answers hey?  Vague with double negative conotations!

So if I understand right, there’s no Kamikaze during Non combat moves. Right?

Right

And the way it is worded, you can use them on JAPAN’s turn’s combat movement phase, and as japan on the ALLIES combat movement phase.

Krieg’s answer reflects the second part - I believe - about the OOB rules question.  But what does it matter, no one plays OOB anymore.  We’re just keep putting on the latest version of Alpha+.2 underwear.

• @Gargantua:

And the way it is worded, you can use them on JAPAN’s turn’s combat movement phase, and as japan on the ALLIES combat movement phase.

HUH? I understood cleraly but that statement confuses me. I never expected Kamikaze to be usable during Japan’s turn.
    > If an Allied power attacks Japanese units in or conducts an amphibious assault from a sea zone containing the Kamikaze symbol, the Japanese player can announce at the beginning of the Conduct Combat phase, of that round,

As I understand it, Kamikaze can only be use during Allies’ turn, Correct?

Let’s get the legal gloves on.

13. Kamikaze Strike: The capture of certain islands (Iwo Jima, etc.) is no longer required to activate kamikaze - they can be used at any time. If an Allied power attacks Japanese units in or conducts an amphibious assault from a sea zone containing the Kamikaze symbol, the Japanese player can announce at the beginning of the Conduct Combat phase, of that round, that he or she intends to launch a kamikaze strike. (Note: Kamikaze strikes are now triggered by combat, not combat movement.) See page 14 (Pacific 1940) for specific details as to how Kamikaze strikes are conducted.

the Japanese player can announce at the beginning of the Conduct Combat phase, of that round, that he or she intends to launch a kamikaze strike

So say you are Japan, it is your turn, and the allies took Phillipines last turn,  then NCM a fleet off the coast.

at the beginning of the conduct combat phase of your own (japan) turn, announce that you intend to launch a Kamikaze strike because you are attacking the allied fleet in the phillipines sea zone with your own fleet.

Pick your Kamikaze targets,  roll your dice, proceed with your battle.

Kamikazes are by the rules, limited to the Conduct Combat Phase.  They are NOT however, limited to JUST the Conduct Combat Phase of the opponents turn.

Oh wait nevermind, now I see it….  This wording is terrible…

we go from

they can be used at any time.\

to

If an Allied power attacks Japanese units in or conducts an amphibious assault from a sea zone containing the Kamikaze symbol, the Japanese player can announce at the beginning of the Conduct Combat phase, of that round, that he or she intends to launch a kamikaze strike.

Now I’m confused.  We have to see the spirit behind the rule,  I guess they are supposed to only be used as a “defensive” measure.  But I see no reason they can’t be combined with your attack - if your attack is into a zone with the Kamikaze symbol.

Clarification please?  And with the final release lets hope they get rid of all the junk at the beginning of the rule regarding activation it’s ambiguous and needless.

• Official Q&A

They can only be used on Allied turns.

Why?

Is the game balance upset if they are used on the Japanese turn?

Or is the spirit of the rule that they are only supposed to be used when defending a home fleet?

Kind of seems silly to me…

• Customizer

I think Kamikaze strikes fit into the same category as scrambling fighters from airbases which makes it a defensive move.

• @Krieghund:

They can only be used on Allied turns.

Thank you  :-)

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I’d have to agree that Kamikazee just makes no sense on offense, in terms of game play.  I believe the idea is to add extra defense to Japan, since they are out numbered 4 to 1 (China, England, ANZAC and America vs Japan).

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m