How is the balance with the new Alpha 2 changes? Please give your view.

• '10

Think we’re gonna try reducing the Far East Russians to 4 infantry per territory in our game tomorrow.  Hoping that will ease up the pressure on the Japanese mainland and encourage the Russians to play defense up there rather than trying to big-stack the Japs.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Eh, I like discouraging Japan from invading Russia.  I’d even go with a straight up ban on invading Russia or Russia invading Japan completely.

• '10

Usually when I invade Russia with Japan, it’s because they have stacked up close to the border in numbers I can’t turn my back on.  I hate to do it, and it puts the mainland force way out of position, but if those eighteen dudes wait 'til my little nippers have wandered off south, they can be extremely difficult to kick back out.  Best way to keep me from attacking them is to make them less of a threat.

If Japan ignores me, I generally retreat my 18 Infantry and AA Gun back to TIM, where I can put them into CHA.  But that’s beside the point, the point is, I WANT Japan to invade me!  That’s 2 tanks for the attack on Germany, or to move into Cha with my infantry later.

• '10

If you want Japan to invade, just stack up next to 'em.  They pretty much have no choice, I feel like.

@eudemonist:

If you want Japan to invade, just stack up next to 'em.  They pretty much have no choice, I feel like.

Clarification:  I want Japan to invade, but I don’t want to lose all 18 men and the AA Gun if I can help it.  I would rather trickle my men down to 14 men and an AA Gun plus 2 armored units by the time I get to TIM.  Coupled with 2 fighters and a Tactical bomber (plus the Strategic Bomber I generally get) that’s a significant fighting force to keep Japan out, while the 4 planes have relatively easy time to swap territories if you retreat to Ukraines/Belarus.

• @Cmdr:

If Japan ignores me, I generally retreat my 18 Infantry and AA Gun back to TIM, where I can put them into CHA.  But that’s beside the point, the point is, I WANT Japan to invade me!  That’s 2 tanks for the attack on Germany, or to move into Cha with my infantry later.

ill glady take 2 tanks when russia will be losing 4-5 ipcs every turn without german invasion.

@ghr2:

@Cmdr:

ill glady take 2 tanks when russia will be losing 4-5 ipcs every turn without german invasion.

I’ll gladly take two armored units as well, since you’ll be forced to bring 50 IPC worth of equipment with you out of China or risk losing it all to a counter attack and that doesn’t include any aircraft you bring with you as well.

• closer to 25-30 ipc worth of units actually that wont be doing anything else otherwise

@ghr2:

closer to 25-30 ipc worth of units actually that wont be doing anything else otherwise

That is not enough to best 18 Infantry, 1 AA Gun, 2 Fighters, 1 Tactical Bomber.  The Russians will roll over any Japanese incursion you send with less than 50 IPC worth of units.  Hell, with the 2 armor Japan gives me, I’ll theoretically have 18 Infantry, 2 Fighters, 1 Tactical Bomber and 2 Armor (and the Strategic Bomber I generally buy anyway, because I want the utility).

Generally, when Japan invades and I retreat before them, they have over 14, 15 units including some air units and an AA Gun.  All those units are now unable to attack China or defend against England, Australia and America.

• since when does russia send 2 figs and a tac east?

• but those units are contesting a huge threat and allowed japan to get 4-5 ipcs a turn of russian territory, japan has plenty of other resources to get china down.

@ghr2:

since when does russia send 2 figs and a tac east?

Oh, I’ll send them to Moscow and they’ll be in range to help my units from TIM crush the Japanese.  That’s fine.  I just want to keep the Japanese out of China and I can do that from TIM/Moscow and still have the aircraft for Bessarabia, E. Poland and Baltic States if I need them.

One of the reasons I build more aircraft with Russia.  Again, Russia does not have to win, they just have to not lose.

• ok then, so japan gets 6 ipcs per turn (russian loses that many)that u wont be able to counter attack on? fine by me.  12 IPC swing a turn will make up for the declaration bonus.

• Not to butt in but invading Russia is flat out stupid before round 7-8

1. Distracts forces needed in China/India or other places
    2. Takes longer to regain the $$$ you get for invading.
    3. Giving more money to Russia to fight against Germany isn’t very smart

I’ve been down this road many times.  Better for Japan to go through China- gain IPC’s w/o punishment, exterminate then possibly invade them through China later.

• ya, but ive seen russia starved alot when japan invades J2

• @ghr2:

ya, but ive seen russia starved alot when japan invades J2

Starved of what???  6IPCs worth of worthless Siberian land for 12IPCs- give me a break.  On top of that your giving the Pacific Allies a tempo and positional advantage because you commit to such a venture.

• Man, when I look at the Alpha 2 setup, I think Allies advantage.

I don’t think Sea Lion should be changed with more land troops but a more robust navy. Make it more difficult to wipe out the UK navy in round one. Its pretty easy to destroy southern france, france and the entire UK navy on G1.

• @questioneer:

@ghr2:

ya, but ive seen russia starved alot when japan invades J2

Starved of what???  6IPCs worth of worthless Siberian land for 12IPCs- give me a break.  On top of that your giving the Pacific Allies a tempo and positional advantage because you commit to such a venture.

I dont know, getting 31 ipcs a turn vs gettign 37 does alot of damage over 4-5 turns, not counting another 6-7 from german gains.  it becomes very hard for russia to hold off a 50 ipc per turn germany.  And how does this give allies the tempo?

• @ghr2:

I dont know, getting 31 ipcs a turn vs gettign 37 does alot of damage over 4-5 turns, not counting another 6-7 from german gains.  it becomes very hard for russia to hold off a 50 ipc per turn germany.  And how does this give allies the tempo?

It’s giving the allies “tempo” because you’re dedicating resources to take 1 IPC lands, usually at a cost of units, which could be used to bring the conflict to India, Anzac or even the US.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m