How is the balance with the new Alpha 2 changes? Please give your view.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@Krieghund:

Roundels, not border colors, indicate original ownership.

Wait, so any territory that the Japanese start the game with are eligable to have Major Industrial Complexes, provided it has the appropriate IPC value?

• Official Q&A

No, Japan may build major ICs only on territories with Japanese roundels printed on them.

@Krieghund:

No, Japan may build major ICs only on territories with Japanese roundels printed on them.

Okay, you had me confused, thought you were talking about control markers placed at the start of the game.  Good, back to Korea as the only valid Major IC location for Japan.

• TripleA

it’s still a turtle spot.

Yea, I like having a major there in anycase.  Allieviates the desperate need to have 5 transports in home waters…

• TripleA

I don’t see how anyone can have problems with Japan. Most of the time I screw around or I go hyper aggressive and round 3 india, round 5-7 china is done. with asia out of the picture I make as much as america.

The problem with balance is which way is USA designed to go? In every other axis and allies game USA goes europe. There’s no pacific.  Now usa has to go pacific or axis wins as soon as they hit 6/8.

USA vs Japan is about an even match. they both end up making the same. That’s why I don’t have a problem with usa making absurd amounts of cash. just means japan has to dominate asia that much quicker.
    ~

Anyway like the above users said. Germany takes down uk in a LL game. Japan screams ALL I DO IS WIN WIN WIN WIN NO MATTER WHAT and the allies go cry in a corner wondering why they are playing this game
    ~

AA50 and revised (if you play v4 you’re not a man) usually had capitol battles at around 6-8 for germany or moscow. Sometimes 9-11 if the russian player is a puss or if allies are doing really bad… like usa goes pacific and in that case just russia dies and axis win.
    ~
    This map is smaller than big world and WaW… but considerably bigger than AA50 in certain aspects. I think it should be geared around round 9-11.
    ~
    I am still working on my own version with victory conditions as russia or usa for axis and germany or japan for allies. It’s hard to setup because there so many countries now and stuff blocking japan from taking russia unlike all the other maps.
    ~~

• For improved balance, what do you guys think if we pushed Russia and USA entry into the campaign up one spot? Russia turn 3, USA turn 2? Maybe just one of them? Thoughts?

Bill

• TripleA

For balance we need to solve victory condition issue first like combine it and figure out what the magic number is.

Then as far as entry into the campaign… Russia should be able to go before America. In fact America’s entry being around the same time as russia is pretty silly. I am thinking bump America’s entry to the war to Round 4 and just give india more stuff

No, I like the VCs the way they are, it’s low enough that if the allies fail to make note of them, they lose the game but high enough that if the Allies really try to keep the Axis from getting enough, they can without nerfing their war effort too much.

I, honestly, think all they need to do to even the game out now is to break up the block of allied turns a bit.  I’d say drop ANZAC and China so they move post Italy.  Rarely does Italy have an impact on what ANZAC and China do, and it makes it so one person doesn’t have to run 5 turns consecutively. (okay, 4 turns, but since you have to keep Pacific/Atlantic money seperate for England, it feels like 5 turns.)

• Balance is good, with a considerable improvement over the original AA40G rules and turn order.  We’re taking about 4 hours per turn - and can only play the game because all the animals live outside, and my family treads softly around the pool table with this game set up.  The board is 2 inches too wide (north-south) to fit in the pool table.

From a game mechanic pov - I would like to see all facilities damaged from conquest to put some price on the Risk-like momentum of taking those French and Soviet factories that seem to start the game with German design templates, and the Brit Shanghai (etc.) naval yard that is oh so ready to help the Japanese navy.

Have Fun,

I’d say it would be beneficial to max-dmg all complexes, shipyards and airbases upon capture.  Force you to rebuild what was destroyed when you took the land. (What self-respecting army isn’t going to sabotage its own war making ability before losing it to the enemy.)

However, that’s a house rule.

I am wondering about balance against a Sea Lion coupled with a Japan 1 surprise strike.

• Played it too little to be able to form a final judgement but without a doubt it’s a HUGE improvement over the original out of the box game and set-up. Scrambling rules are great, so is the MIC in Germany, the minor ones in the US, the restrictions on movement for the US while not at war etc. Also the British can attack the Italian fleet and cripple them while at thye same time incurring losses themselves OR they can concentrate off of Gibraltar and basically deny Italy it’s ‘easiest’ NO of having no enemy warships in the Med for the rest of the game.  Love Alpha 2 so far!

• My group of fairly experienced AA gamers have played Alpha +2 five times so far.  Here are my observations.  Germany must decide to either attack the UK or Russia, it cant attempt both and hope to win.  Japan has three choices but again must decide on which course to take and do it as quickly as possible, 1) Go for India  2) Go for the US Fleet and island groups(to deny the US some NO’s) or 3) Go for the easiest 4 VC’s (Hong Kong, Philipines, Sydney and Honolulu).  Both the Germans and Japanese must substantially achieve these objectives by turn 3, any later and they will eventually lose.

Some general rules we follow…
    1. US concentrates on building a very strong pacific fleet and at least 2 additional transports…even at the expense of building in the atlantic if necessary. Once numerically superior to the japanese fleet (at least 2 - 1 in BB’s and CV’s) then go hunt it and kill it.  Then all new buys to Atlantic.
    2. UK builds infantry and moves aircraft to UK to counter sea-lion or if sea-lion not threatened a factory in Cairo and tanks in South Africa.
    3. UK India - Infantry only until US gets involved.
    4. Anzac - airfield western australia on turn 2 and fighters thereafter…which are then ferried to India every turn.  These are used to consolidate any british territory gains in mainland asia in later turns (landing in freshly UK captured territory).
    5. China - Infantry only and everything into Yunnan.
    6. Russia - Infantry and one fighter each turn.  Slowly retreat towards Moscow and then let the German impale himself on a huge stack of infantry and aircraft.  It will be a costly exercise for the germans and leave them very thin on the ground.

In all of our games so far the allies have eventually won out and this with IPC’s of 70 for the japs and occasionally the germans at times.  The big problem for the axis is holding onto their gains.  Eventually the US will turn the tables in the pacific and retake all the japanese held territories.  Once the jap fleet is destroyed its game over for them.  In Europe, if the UK hasn’t fallen and the Germans have had no success in Russia, then they too are simply marking time and if the Italians are held in North Africa then they remain simply an inconvenience in the med which will also be dealt with.

We like the game and it is our favorite version.  We are taking turns at playing the axis and trying new strategies all the time but it looks like its a fairly tough ask to win as axis especially when playing experienced players (who dont fall for too many tricks).   Im going to give a J3 US fleet attack and simultaneous multi-island grab a go in my next foray.  I figure I can take out the entire US pacific fleet and inflict some serious NO pain to the US, in a reasonable exchange.  I may then have just enough time to take Sydney, Philipines and hold onto Honolulu for at least 1 turn to secure the victory.

• TripleA

Taking india is cakewalk broski. UK takedowns are 70-100% in low luck games.~

I can’t see how global is better than AA50 or the NWO mod WaW. ~

Why on earth do you like the VCs? most groups I go to play without VCs. Hell I even support that. Berlin or Moscow or we play another game.

How many people really enjoy pacific? It’s so lackluster. Naval cost lots of money and once one side is sunk that’s it. there’s no coming back. Not to mention attacking is rough, there’s no retreating because you can’t repair, so you’re all in no matter what. It’s so stupid.

Even in aa50, I never go pacific and I usually win. So now I am supposed to go pacific to deal with the japs or he gets 6/8??? Screw that. That’s stupid.
    ~
    I would like to add that low luck favors the axis hardcore just like in AA50 but even more so.

I am sorry if you did not buy the limited edition 50th anniversary edition, but you really missed out. It’s a plateau that is hard to go down.

Hard to test this game out without many live games. Eventually this will be available for triple A. Hopefully yall have the balance figured out by then.

Well, I do have to agree in some aspect that it’s still ridiculously easy to take India and London by round 4 or 5 in the game and thus remove England as a power all together.

• @Cow:

How many people really enjoy pacific? It’s so lackluster. Naval cost lots of money and once one side is sunk that’s it. there’s no coming back. Not to mention attacking is rough, there’s no retreating because you can’t repair, so you’re all in no matter what. It’s so stupid.

It’s a world war two game.  The pacific kind of saw a major war fought in its theatre.  Naval warfare is a whole other ballgame to landwarfare and really adds an element of authenticity and “Fun” to the game.  That’s why the alphas are trying so hard to make sure a war has to be fought in the pacific from a gameplay/game advantage point of view, so as to avoid the KGF’s and JTDM’s of all the other axis and allies games before this one.

I for one do enjoy the pacific battle, and that’s why I tend to avoid playing online games since the most “efficient” strat for both sides in games up untill now have been to ignore the pacific.

I love naval warfare in these games.  Land battle is so blah…necessary to win, but hardly exciting!

• TripleA

then bust out the pacific board and play that instead of playing global. :|

I understand the pacific was real. I played bad company 2. You were the old bad company from WWII era doing your thug thizzle for an isle. representin o fo sho.

In reality the only thing an island is good for is growing spice.

you can’t shove pacific down people’s throat in a global game. I am german and japanese and I know that europe mattered more. I mean how many people know about the holocaust compared to the rape of nanjing? Guess what? The europe half has more sales than the pacific half.

The only time Pacific is fun is when you’re japan. USA going pacific is so boring. Not only do you have to take the islands, but you have to figure out how to take japan itself which is making 10 inf a round on japan.  So stupid.

IN RL Japan got atom bombed, that’s why very few people actually like pacific campaigns. If I can 80 ipc for an atom bomb so I can blow up japan. I’ll consider going pacific.

Atom bomb: cost 80 ipc. DOES NOT INCLUDE THE FIGHTER. charge a fighter with an atom bomb on west usa. this fighter must fly over japan which is a special move except you roll no attacks you just blow everything up except for an industrial complex and an AA gun. AA guns may fire on the atom fighter as the fighter leaves. All units are removed from japan at the end of turn. The atom bomb fighter cannot be Kamikaze attacked. Only 2 may be made per game.

one must be able to put his palm over japan and in one swoop fly all the japan pieces off the board into his opponent’s face. If that cannot happen there is no reason to go pacific, ever.

• I just played my first game of Global and I have to say, at least it’s historically more accurate.  I love seeing Japan not going for Moscow and the fact that the allies actually have to focus on both sides of the map.

In my game Japan went for an early US attack (J2) because I left most of my initial fleet on Hawaii, but Japan lost the attack due to unlucky dice (though the US only got out of it with a damaged battleship).  UK and ANZAC built up a fleet at Hong Kong, and Japan basically gave up in China because it needed to focus on rebuilding its navy.  Japan was actually able to take out the UK fleet (including the Med fleet) and the US couldn’t quite catch up to it in time to stop repairs.  In the end Japan made a suicide attack on the UK/ANZAC fleet because we were out of time and came out of it with 10 fighters, 10 tac bombers, 3 damaged battleships, and 2 cruisers.  But while the US had clear naval superiority, it would take a while to actually take Japan because of the huge army there.

In Europe, Germany and Italy successfully took out France, the British north Atlantic fleet, and the Balkan peninsula round 1.  Germany then proceeded to make massive fighter and tank buys and steamrolled Russia (invading G4 with some really helpful Italian tanks going in I3), eventually taking Leningrad and Ukraine, and they would have gotten Stalingrad if given one more turn.  Moscow though had a stack of around 60 infantry, and Russia was able to kill off most of Germany’s non-tanks (despite being unlucky and losing several stacks of 10+ infantry with very few German losses).  The US built a huge Atlantic invasion fleet after the Japanese fleet beat the UK fleet the first time, thinking it would be able to catch up to and destroy the remaining Japanese fleet, and it took Gibraltar, eliminated the Italian navy, and took out Rome, but German troops then went into northern Italy.  The UK made an attempt to take Normandy/Bordeaux, but they lost it in the German counterattack and settled for Norway.

All in all, I’m really impressed with how much the game (or Alpha + .2) feels realistic, like it could have actually happened this way.  It seems like even when the US achieves naval superiority in the Pacific, though, it still takes forever to actually take out Japan.  And while it’s fairly easy for the US to take Gibraltar and Rome, Germany can easily stop any more Allied capture/liberation of Europe for a while while still killing Russia.  Building tanks in Russia and infantry in France/west Germany will take a while for the Allies to counter.  It also seems like if China is allowed to hold onto the Burma road they can get truly massive amounts of infantry/artillery, though this could probably be countered by Japan focusing a bit more on China instead of pulling out.  Italy feels like a minor power, because despite its objectives once the US can devote some IPCs to Europe it’s hard to keep Rome.

In my opinion, what the game crafters need to do is invent a unit for England that cannot move or attack but can defend and be taken as casualties.

I see this unit as follows:

From England 1 until America declares war on Germany, England has 6 Home Guard Units on England.
    Home Guard:

• Move 0
    • Attack 0
    • Defend 1
    • Cost - Cannot be purchased (so when they are dead, they are dead.)

These six units alone would almost certainly require Germany to wait until round 5 to be assured success in the amphibious assault on England, assuming England puts every IPC they can into the defense of England.  However, it would not be enough so that England can ignore putting everything in England to stop a German attack either.

In regards to Atlantic vs Pacific, has any Allied players seen what happens if you ignore Japan entirely, letting them take the Pacific/Australia and holding them at India?  Thereby freeing up America to put extra nails in the European coffins?

It problably not work.  You’d have to invest something into stopping Japan from getting 6 Victory Cities, but maybe it would?

Also, if I am going to surprise strike with Japan, I’m going to do it on Round 1 and get the Philippine fleet, the Hawaiian fleet and the British battleship off Malaya.  With moderate luck (as in not getting bad dice) I should have enough left in SZ 26 (Pearl Harbor) to make an American counter attack there ill-advised and either sink the rest of the Americans on Round 2 or run them out of the Pacific entirely.

Building up extra units to counter ANZAC/England at that point shouldn’t be all that hard, while you keep the rest at Pearl (SZ 26) available to strike New South Wales or LA (W. USA) as needed.  I think SZ 26 (and 33) are like the center 4 squares of a chess board. To wit, one must control those two sea zones to control the Pacific.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m