Another Scramble/Amphibious Assault Question

• Sorry if these questions have been already answered.  I am a little fuzzy about who decides how fighters attack in a sea battle vs an amphibious assault.

Scenario:  Germany is conducting an amphibious assault on England with two loaded transports, 3 destroyers, and three fighters.  England has four infantry, no defending sea units, and three fighters.  Who decides what happens to the German fighters - Germany or England?  Does Germany first decide if it will either keep some fighters in the sea zone to protect against a possible scramble from England or use some of its fighters during an amphibious assault (if possible after the sea battle)?  Or does England scramble at least one fighter to force Germany to use all of its fighters in the sea battle?

• Official Q&A

I’ll assume you’re using the Alpha rules, otherwise UK can’t scramble at all in this situation.

Germany must first commit its fighters to either the sea zone or the territory (in any combination).  UK then has the choice to scramble any or all of its fighters, regardless of what Germany did.  This gives UK the advantage of knowing how Germany’s fighters will be assigned before it makes a decision regarding scrambling.

• '22 '21 '19 '18 '17 '16

This might be a silly additional question, but….

If Germany uses tac bombers in the “protection of the fleet” from scrambled fighters scenario just described and they are coupled with fighters, would they use their attack on a 4 capability for combined arms?

• @kilroynothere:

This might be a silly additional question, but….

If Germany uses tac bombers in the “protection of the fleet” from scrambled fighters scenario just described and they are coupled with fighters, would they use their attack on a 4 capability for combined arms?

Of course.  It’s still a normal naval battle and follows all standard combat rules.  The only difference is that the UK has the option to commit some planes to the seazone that were not already there at the beginning of the combat move.

• @Krieghund:

I’ll assume you’re using the Alpha rules, otherwise UK can’t scramble at all in this situation.

Germany must first commit its fighters to either the sea zone or the territory (in any combination).  UK then has the choice to scramble any or all of its fighters, regardless of what Germany did.  This gives UK the advantage of knowing how Germany’s fighters will be assigned before it makes a decision regarding scrambling.

Thanks, Krieghund!  I really appreciate all of your hard work with answering questions and helping Larry with the new Alpha rules.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m