• '10

@Cmdr:

I decided to leave the BB and CA off the coast of SZ 110 to have overwhelming odds in France, SZ 111, SZ 112 and Yugo and some snipe attacks on SZ 91, 106 and 103

Snipe attack on SZ 103 ?  :?

• '10

@Cmdr:

I decided to leave the BB and CA off the coast of SZ 110 to have overwhelming odds in France, SZ 111, SZ 112 and Yugo and some snipe attacks on SZ 91, 106 and 103.  Paid off, somewhat in one game, didnt pay off at all in another.  On the plus side, with all that firepower, yer usually safe assuming the Scottish fighter cowers like a pansy instead of scrambling to fight you. wink

I’ve yet to be spanked by the British battleboat, meanwhile, teh fighters I usually send there were sent elsewhere so they could get to Naples to protect the Italian fleet.  I’ve yet to see a “good” open that sinks both British carriers, shoots at the cruiser in SZ 91 and has 3 fighters in S. Italy at the end.  I am not saying it does not exist, I am saying I have not seen it.  And my definition of “good” is 80% or better odds in each battle.  “Sufficient” is 60% or better.

In our game tomorrow I will put enough German planes into Italy that no U.K. ships will survive in the Med. on G2. Jenn, where are the two U.K. carriers that you refer to? Is there one in the fog that I have not seen? I think that it is more important that Italy survives than it is to sink U.K. ships in the Atlantic. So I intend to take France, Normandy and Yugoslavia on G1 and sink the U.K. cruiser in 91 if possible. There are many German planes that can get to Italy at the end of G1. By using the Luftwaffe in the land battles it will lower my losses. All my plane should survive G1.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@Axisplaya:

@Cmdr:

I decided to leave the BB and CA off the coast of SZ 110 to have overwhelming odds in France, SZ 111, SZ 112 and Yugo and some snipe attacks on SZ 91, 106 and 103

Submarine vs Destroyer Transport in SZ 103.  I coulda gone after the same thing in SZ 106 but I figure that destroyer is easier for the Germans to go after on the next round and if the British think their BB/CA in SZ 110 is going to be unsinkable with the DD/Trn from SZ 109 and some other ships, who am I not to ablige them by trying to sink it?  Get all the boats that way, or he has to retreat the destroyer, battleboat and cruiser which means he isn’t using them anyway

• @Cmdr:

@Axisplaya:

Submarine vs Destroyer Transport in SZ 103.  I coulda gone after the same thing in SZ 106 but I figure that destroyer is easier for the Germans to go after on the next round and if the British think their BB/CA in SZ 110 is going to be unsinkable with the DD/Trn from SZ 109 and some other ships, who am I not to ablige them by trying to sink it?  Get all the boats that way, or he has to retreat the destroyer, battleboat and cruiser which means he isn’t using them anyway

There’s a German sub in 103.  There’s no UK destroyer/transport.  And you clearly don’t mean to attack 109 as the airbase can scramble 3 fighters from the UK (as you didn’t attack 110, they have nothing better to do and could never be hit) and kill the SS more often than not at the possible loss of the DD, so the transport remains safe.

The seazones you hit:
    Sea Zone 71: 1 Destroyer
    Sea Zone 91: 1 Cruiser
    Sea Zone 98: 1 Cruiser, 1 Destroyer, 1 Carrier w/1 Tac Bomber, 1 Transport
    Sea Zone 106: 1 Destroyer, 1 Transport
    Sea Zone 109: 1 Destroyer, 1 Transport
    Sea Zone 110: 1 Cruiser, 1 Battleship
    Sea Zone 111: 1 Destroyer, 1 Battleship
    Sea Zone 112: 1 Cruise

eh, 106, whatever…new map.  That funny SZ off the cost of Quebec

And, for the record, you could scramble the French and British fighters to protect the SZ 109 destroyer from the submarine, but they could not shoot at the submarine nor be taken as casualties.  So without an attack on SZ 110 and with only a submarine(s) going to SZ 109, there is no point in scrambling fighters. /shrug.  It’s why I ignore the BB in SZ 110, that way I can have CRUSHING power in my other attacks and don’t generally have to wait for my opponent to scramble (because if they do, they just lose their planes and do virtually no dmg with them, so why scramble? PBF takes long enough as it is!)

• '10

@Cmdr:

And, for the record, you could scramble the French and British fighters to protect the SZ 109 destroyer from the submarine, but they could not shoot at the submarine

Uh ? Why is that ? There is a destroyer in SZ109, so the planes could shoot at the sub if they scramble… No ?

• @Axisplaya:

@Cmdr:

And, for the record, you could scramble the French and British fighters to protect the SZ 109 destroyer from the submarine, but they could not shoot at the submarine

Uh ? Why is that ? There is a destroyer in SZ109, so the planes could shoot at the sub if they scramble… No ?

Yes, due to the presence of a DD, the scrambled planes CAN hit the sub.  Destroyers cancel all sub abilities, and allow planes to hit them.  Such as it has been since AA50.  Prior to that, planes COULD hit subs, even without DDs present.  Now, subs can never be selected as a casualty to a plane hit, even if you desperately WANTED to use a sub as fodder, unless an enemy dd is present.  There have been amusing battles where people have used subs as fodder, only to be attacked by ONLY planes, and losing the entire surface fleet as their fodder units were required to be ignored.

Eh, wasn’t thinking…rather moot issue since I hit the destroyer off the coast of Canada and not off the coast of Wales, England - no?

I’ve never fallen to this, nor seen anyone fall to this myself.  Not saying it does not happen, but EM, Bo, Funct, A44, etc that I normally play on a back to back basis have never given me this gift nor have I given it either.  Of course, we do seem to litter the ocean floor with hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions, of Destroyers…the occasional cruiser.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

the occasional cruiser

Yea the ones you start with, because I doubt you’ll be building others.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m