GLOBAL MAP AVAILABILITY FOR MOUNTING AT HOME

• some more pics, this one I had to print in sections myself (a lot of bother) and glued the sheets to a piece of sheet steel, then I covered the whole map in clear adhesive vinyl (to protect it) and then glued the steel sheet to a piece of mdf board.  Thats why Im going to get this new map done properly in one piece.

03022011_006.jpg

• typical stack

03022011_011.jpg

• infantry stack, works great guys…give it a try.

03022011_005.jpg

• Looks fantastic!  Great work!

• What is the Brand of Magnets and the size?

• Got them from ebay, no idea of the brand but they are about 8mm in diameter and about 1mm thick.  They are usually sold in lots of 10 or 20 and are not that expensive.  I’ve been using them for a while for my other hobby (battery hatches for my rc model aircraft) so I’ve always got a few about.  Thats how the idea first struck me to do a magnetic wall version. One more thing I have to add, …dont forget to rough up the area you’re gluing the magnets to as this will improve their adhesion.  I’ve had a few “separations” because I didn’t do it.

• What adhesive are you using for the magnets?  It looks like hot glue or epoxy from the photos.

• 5 minute epoxy, though you can only do about 10 at a time before it starts to go off.  but you could use 30 min and get an entire nationality done in one go.

• Sweet.  This is a project I am totally doing.

• Somebody really wants to keep Gibraltar.  :-D

• Italians weren’t that strong during ww2, but they sell great magnets!
    Try this company, they work great for this project (And I’m totally doing it!)  –>  http://www.supermagnete.it/eng/index.php?adwords_it_ita_brand&gclid=CInZt46ct6YCFcKCDgodkU3-IQ <–

Nimitz, what kind of iron sheet did you buy?

• Its about .5 mm thickness, the sheet of mdf is 1500mm x 800mm, that is the size piece of steel im going to get and the size that i will have the map blown up to, so its a neat fit on the board. Im going to stick this new map on the back of the 1942 mapboard, then just flip it over when i want a change.

• Hey Nimitz, they told me the metal sheet I need would weight around 50kg.
    How do you place it in the wall efficently? I need your advices! :)

• I think you might have told them 5mm??   its not 5mm thick, its point five i.e. 0.5mm (half a millimetre) thickness. they must have thought you were building a jap tank. lol

• @Woodstock:

@cminke:

also great marshes?? its pripet marchs on the real map

He pointed that out the moment he posted it.

@ Nimitz: I have toyed with this idea for a long time, but do not have the skills to update the map.
    So this will be a great help, if we’re allowed to use it that is?
    Thanks a bunch for your efforts.

sorry i dident see that

• Nimitz,

What type of metal did you mount it to?  Was it stainless steel?  If it wasn’t, I am wondering if you have had any corrosion problems beneath the vinyl.

• Nimitz,

I noticed a misspelling on the Pacific side:  Paulau Island in sz 34.  You have it as “Pelau”

Also, if you don’t mind my asking, some of the islands in the Pacific are distorted compared to the regular board (Philippines, Carolines, Gilbert, Paulau come to mine.  Actually, Gilbert doesn’t even have a visible island, just the UK roundel).  Was this something you had to do in your ‘paint’ program to clean up the picture? I do not mean to offend, so please don’t take it that way.  I only ask because of curiosity.

• darn my spelling…  yes your right about Palau…and correct about missing or different shaped islands in the pacific.  The paint program I was using allowed me to cut and paste the sea into the island zones but it meant chopping some of the islands out and having to repaint them.  I missed a few of the very small islands altogether (didn’t bother putting them in) as they were so small as to be insignificant on the map anyway (you couldn’t place pieces on the land anyway), so providing there was a name and a roundel in the sea zone it’s clear enough that there is a land mass there.  Cyprus is a case in point (Its under the roundel. :-)…)  Though I was in a hurry to get the map done… so these pick-ups by you guys are to be expected (and welcome).  If there is something serious that will affect game play then Id really appreciate if you could let me know and I will fix it up fix up, then I will do these few spelling errors (and put in a couple of “green spots” where the islands should be at the same time).  Thanks guys. :-)

• Sorry GH…only answered your second question.  Heres the first about the metal.  I used ordinary sheet metal, the same that is used for shaping air conditioning ducts.  Its thin and much more light weight as a result.  There’s no corrosion under my current map but it is indoors all the time.  Also the plastic covering was folded around the edges before I glued it to the mdf board.  There is just no chance of moisture getting to it.  Hope that helps.

• Nimitz,

You have two sea zones numbered 33.  I think the one by FIC is supposed to be sz 36.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m