• I’m at a loss guys, torn between the Korean Conflict and Chinese Civil War, both for scholarly reasons and personal ones, I researched into.

Though, the many regional conflicts within Asia and Africa after European decolonization also qualify.

• '20 '19 '18 '16 '15 '11 '10

Angola.

• I chose other. I’m all for the War between United Nations Space Command and the Covenent Military. WHAT! you didnt say it had to be real. Also I think Patton was a good general but as a person i dont like him. Were talking about war so comfortably but in reality its hell. Im no soldier but trust me its not pretty. War with the Russians would have been a catastrophy. Russia had people in the insaide already. Stalin new about the A Bomb when Roosevelt told him. Also look at Russia! Its big and cold. Not like tiny islands in the Pacific or state sized countries in Europe. Also those russians were hard core. They lost it all. There homes, there family, there lives. They had nothing to lose. We decided to share the power. If one nation is all powerful they make enemies. If we COULD have conquered the Soviets then everyone would have ganged up on us. They wouldnt like us using the A Bomb on those poor Russians who already lost it all. Then we have WWIV and we make a nuclear winter. But there’s obiously something else at work in this world other than superpowers. If Germany was ment to collapse then the Soviets were ment to collapse as well. And thats an encouraging thought  :-)

• @Pvt.Ryan:

I chose other. I’m all for the War between United Nations Space Command and the Covenent Military. WHAT! you didnt say it had to be real. Also I think Patton was a good general but as a person i dont like him. Were talking about war so comfortably but in reality its hell. Im no soldier but trust me its not pretty. War with the Russians would have been a catastrophy. Russia had people in the insaide already. Stalin new about the A Bomb when Roosevelt told him. Also look at Russia! Its big and cold. Not like tiny islands in the Pacific or state sized countries in Europe. Also those russians were hard core. They lost it all. There homes, there family, there lives. They had nothing to lose. We decided to share the power. If one nation is all powerful they make enemies. If we COULD have conquered the Soviets then everyone would have ganged up on us. They wouldnt like us using the A Bomb on those poor Russians who already lost it all. Then we have WWIV and we make a nuclear winter. But there’s obiously something else at work in this world other than superpowers. If Germany was ment to collapse then the Soviets were ment to collapse as well. And thats an encouraging thought  :-)

People have the tendency to assume that things always turn out well in the end; or that things happen for a reason. Generally–and especially when applied to human history–that assumption is based on our own need to believe in something reassuring, rather than empirical evidence.

The Soviet Union was the most evil regime in human history. Period. It survived WWII not because it was more moral than Germany, but because it was bigger, stronger, and had more powerful allies. The tarantula sometimes eats the bird. The bad guy sometimes wins. The Soviet victory in WWII was one of those times.

You mentioned your personal dislike of General Patton. My own opinion of him was exactly the opposite. Despite his hard exterior and rough and tumble ways, he was a man of basic decency. A moral human, when confronted with a monstrosity like the Soviet Union, ought to react much as Patton did. If someone doesn’t, it suggests there’s something missing. Maybe that something is simple information–for example about how the Soviet government actually acted.

I handled hundreds of signals to all parts of the Soviet Union which were couched in the following form:
    “To N.K.V.D., Frunze. You are charged with the task of exterminating 10,000 enemies of the people. Report results by signal.–Yezhov.”

And in due course the reply would come back:

“In reply to yours of such-and-such date, the following enemies of the Soviet people have been shot.”

----Former Soviet Spy-Chief Vladimir Petrov

The above describes the reign of terror unleashed within the Soviet Union itself for the sole purpose of keeping its citizens in-line. During the latter stages of WWII that terror spread westward into the very heart of Europe. FDR was fine with that, and Churchill convinced himself that on some level he could trust Stalin. These attitudes were either the result of moral failure or willful self-deception. The below quote gives a brief taste of what happened when the Red Terror spread into Germany.

Antony Beevor describes [the Soviet invasion of Germany] as the “greatest phenomenon of mass rape in history”, and has concluded that at least 1.4 million women were raped in East Prussia, Pomerania and Silesia alone.[17] According to Natalya Gesse, “the Russian soldiers were raping every German female from eight to eighty.”[18] Soviet[19] and Jewish[20] women were raped also.

Also,

The Red Army’s violence against the local German population during the occupation of eastern Germany often led to incidents like that in Demmin, a small city conquered by the Soviets in the spring of 1945. Despite its surrender, nearly 900 civilians committed suicide, fueled by instances of pillaging, rape, and executions.[citation needed]

Any Soviet victory cannot be described as “good.” Nor can the Soviet Union legitimately be described as “the lesser of two evils” in relation to any other nation whatever.

The American Communist Party took its orders from Moscow. The Soviets realized that the United States was too strong to conquer from the outside, and so sought to promote revolution from the inside. But they also knew the United States was internally much stronger than czarist Russia had been. For the hoped-for revolution to take place, the existing social order first had to be destroyed or severely weakened. That meant the following:

• Destroying the American family by promoting divorce, radical feminism, and the end of traditional marriage.
    • Destroying traditional morality
    • Destroying religion
    • Destroying race and the existence of race through immigration and through changing attitudes about miscegenation
    • Destroying patriotism

The American Communist movement was particularly powerful in the '60s. Some of the ideas they attempted (with various success) to insert into the public consciousness included the following:

• Radical feminism and female hate of men
    • The idea that criminals are heroes and social revolutionaries for opposing the existing (evil) social order
    • The idea that the white race is bad; and that whites should hate their own race

To varying degrees these ideas influenced mainstream American culture and American law. For example, many in the mainstream adopted a watered-down version of the communists’ view of criminals. Criminals were now portrayed as victims (of poverty, racism, and social injustice) rather than victimizers and a source of social injustice. Anti-crime laws were weakened, the culture became far more tolerant of crime, and (expectedly) the crime rate became much higher in the '60s than it had been in the '50s. Those who were raped and murdered as a result of this crime spree were a distant echo of the hate, rape, and mass murder the Red Army had perpetrated as it moved westward into Germany.

There is only one appropriate response to the evil of Soviet communism. One must oppose it completely, totally, ruthlessly, and wholeheartedly. There is no moral distinction between the leaders of the communist movement and a man who has broken into your house for the sole purpose of raping and murdering your family. None. The attitudes you have toward that man must also be applied to the communist movement. Any other mindset is far too mild.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Where do I sign up to fight Kurt?

People fail to realize that like a chemical or nuclear weapon, the after effects of communism and it’s social attempts to destroy western culture are still replete today.  We suffer from them everywhere. People think communism lost, and on the surface that may be,  but we’ve lost too.  There are too many Americans that hate America.  There are people who go around calling themselves patriots, believing in thier cause, destroying their own country right in front of them, without even realizing it.  This was the Soviet intent.

The Damage is done intergenerationally, and only through concious acceptance, a TRUE sense of community, and objective education, can it be resolved.

This is truelly THE post WWII conflict, and in theory - not a shot was fired.

You ever wonder why when you walk around downtown, you get the sense that society is sick?  That’s because it is, it’s suffering effects of social weaponization, and disease - that were BY DESIGN.  Never forget that.  Best thing you can do is take your cup full, tell others, and help them find the places where they feel they belong, in their communities, in their families, and with each other.

Also never forget, that there are individuals out there promoting the same ill’s that still erode western culture.  They Must be STOPPED.

Ever notice that when you went to school they made you feel like Western Culture was Bad/Wrong?  That you should hate America (Certainly a fact in Canada) that you should feel sorry for the things your ancestors are accussed of and pay for them?  That when someone steals your wallet it’s YOUR fault.  And that doing the right thing isn’t doing the right thing anymore?

I could go on…  But I won’t to save this post from becoming political, and being removed by moderators.

Just remember that although Russian Communism “on the surface” fell in this “Post WWII Conflict”, that we still lost too.

• I see the your point Garagntuan. Your saying bascically that non of this should have happened. Its as simple as that. Funny how hard the human mind can think when it comes to something like this. But thats just it. You don’t think. The average person goes on living. They just don’t care. This sounds alot like the Hungary Games series. The main character never knows who to just. The archtypical “bad guys” or the rebels fighting for “a better future”. All this is in human nature. Everyone needs to react in the way they see fit. So as I mentioned in the last post., you just can’t control what happens. There are other powers at work whether you call them Faith, Fortune, or Luck. We just need to decide what to do with what is given to us.

• In his book “War”, Gwynne Dyer discusses how the wartime alliance of the US and the USSR quickly feel apart once Germany and Japan had been defeated.  He argues that any experienced 18th century diplomat would have had no problem understanding why the US and the USSR ended up at each other’s throats after WWII, even though the concepts of democracy and communism would have been completely alien to him.  The reason why alliances in major wars tend to fall apart after victory is that the winners are the biggest pieces left on the chessboard after the losers have been eliminated, and thus are the biggest potential threats to each other.

• @CWO:

In his book “War”, Gwynne Dyer discusses how the wartime alliance of the US and the USSR quickly feel apart once Germany and Japan had been defeated.  He argues that any experienced 18th century diplomat would have had no problem understanding why the US and the USSR ended up at each other’s throats after WWII, even though the concepts of democracy and communism would have been completely alien to him.  The reason why alliances in major wars tend to fall apart after victory is that the winners are the biggest pieces left on the chessboard after the losers have been eliminated, and thus are the biggest potential threats to each other.

An excellent point. It was all about competion not about communism or democracy. Those were just propaganda used by the countries to make them hate each other. It wasn’t necsarilly (i cant spell) the countries fighting eachother. It was the leaders disliking eachother.

• @Pvt.Ryan:

@CWO:

In his book “War”, Gwynne Dyer discusses how the wartime alliance of the US and the USSR quickly feel apart once Germany and Japan had been defeated.  He argues that any experienced 18th century diplomat would have had no problem understanding why the US and the USSR ended up at each other’s throats after WWII, even though the concepts of democracy and communism would have been completely alien to him.  The reason why alliances in major wars tend to fall apart after victory is that the winners are the biggest pieces left on the chessboard after the losers have been eliminated, and thus are the biggest potential threats to each other.

An excellent point. It was all about competion not about communism or democracy. Those were just propaganda used by the countries to make them hate each other. It wasn’t necsarilly (i cant spell) the countries fighting eachother. It was the leaders disliking eachother.

I disagree I think its a lot more complicated than that, there were fundemental differences in the ways they governed their countries and their people’s lives. In the U.S it was largely a policy of non interference and letting people prosper through free market capitalism while in the USSR it was a policy of controlling every single aspect of their people’s daily lives in order to maintain order and obedience from their people.

@KurtGodel7:

The American Communist Party took its orders from Moscow. The Soviets realized that the United States was too strong to conquer from the outside, and so sought to promote revolution from the inside. But they also knew the United States was internally much stronger than czarist Russia had been. For the hoped-for revolution to take place, the existing social order first had to be destroyed or severely weakened. That meant the following:

• Destroying the American family by promoting divorce, radical feminism, and the end of traditional marriage.
    • Destroying traditional morality
    • Destroying religion
    • Destroying race and the existence of race through immigration and through changing attitudes about miscegenation
    • Destroying patriotism

The American Communist movement was particularly powerful in the '60s. Some of the ideas they attempted (with various success) to insert into the public consciousness included the following:

• Radical feminism and female hate of men
    • The idea that criminals are heroes and social revolutionaries for opposing the existing (evil) social order
    • The idea that the white race is bad; and that whites should hate their own race

To varying degrees these ideas influenced mainstream American culture and American law. For example, many in the mainstream adopted a watered-down version of the communists’ view of criminals. Criminals were now portrayed as victims (of poverty, racism, and social injustice) rather than victimizers and a source of social injustice. Anti-crime laws were weakened, the culture became far more tolerant of crime, and (expectedly) the crime rate became much higher in the '60s than it had been in the '50s. Those who were raped and murdered as a result of this crime spree were a distant echo of the hate, rape, and mass murder the Red Army had perpetrated as it moved westward into Germany.

There is only one appropriate response to the evil of Soviet communism. One must oppose it completely, totally, ruthlessly, and wholeheartedly. There is no moral distinction between the leaders of the communist movement and a man who has broken into your house for the sole purpose of raping and murdering your family. None. The attitudes you have toward that man must also be applied to the communist movement. Any other mindset is far too mild.

This is one of the most insightful things I have ever had the good fortune to read and it opens up a whole nother school of thought into the downfall/decline of Western civilization, I will be bothering my girlfriend about discussing the implications of these ideas for many weeks and months to come  :-D

• Ha carful dude on that one. And yes there are many factors at play here. To many to count in fact. I don’t think our mere minds really grasp the whole thing. It is one of the things in history though that really makes you think.

• @Pvt.Ryan:

Ha carful dude on that one. And yes there are many factors at play here. To many to count in fact. I don’t think our mere minds really grasp the whole thing. It is one of the things in history though that really makes you think.

I completely agree, its incredibly complex but that only makes it more interesting because every single historical event has so many different causes some of which are impossible to quantify unlike the obvious ones like economic, political and social reasons.

• My point has been taken  :-D. Yes it makes it very interesting. I guess this is just how the human mind works  :-)

• @Pvt.Ryan:

I chose other. I’m all for the War between United Nations Space Command and the Covenent Military. WHAT! you didnt say it had to be real.

Actually I find the Halo fictional war to be a very very entertaining piece of fiction, at least for me. The space battles described in the books are well detailed even though us humans get our butts handed to us. But hey at least when it comes to the ground war we have the advantage with the spartans  8-). That was of course till Reach fell, and along with it most of the spartan soldiers……Back to reality, Cuban Missile Crisis is first on my list, followed by Covert Ops done by the CIA throughout the second half of the twentieth century, (Too many to name).

• It is. Specially the games. Killing people as the Chief. AWESOME  :mrgreen:

• On another, somewhat related topic, does the author of this poll realize that Operation Enduring Freedom is the invasion of Afghanistan? The Iraq conflict was codenamed Operation Iraqi Freedom.

• The recent Lybian Civil War has been one of the more interresting post WWII conflicts.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m