• Can an aircraft carrier fire on a sub or can only destroyers. I’m tryinig to understand if other ships can attack once the sub has started a suprise attack?

Can an enemy sub see a sub of a different player in the same sector and attack?

• @Gen.pixelz:

Can an aircraft carrier fire on a sub or can only destroyers. I’m tryinig to understand if other ships can attack once the sub has started a suprise attack?

If there are no enemy destroyers present and the attacking sub(s) hit during their surprise attack then any defender casualties are immediately removed and won’t roll for defense. If a sub attacks a single carrier and hits, then the carrier is immediately sunk, without firing back.

But if there are remaining defender ships after the subs have fired then they will fire back at the sub, even if there are no friendly destroyers present.

Can an enemy sub see a sub of a different player in the same sector and attack?

An attacking sub may perform a combat move to a SZ occupied by an enemy sub in order to attack. However since both subs have the option to submerge before any combat, the defending sub will always be able to avoid combat.

To attack and destroy enemy subs you need to bring a destroyer, otherwise the sub can always submerge first.

• Thank you.  Does anyone know of a better rule book or guide that will help with the game.  My son and I are new to the game and need some extra help.

• @Gen.pixelz:

Thank you.  Does anyone know of a better rule book or guide that will help with the game.  My son and I are new to the game and need some extra help.

The sub rules are probably the more complex ones regarding the game. Other than the manual and the FAQ there’s not much else, it’s usually a matter of getting used to the game system.

But if you have anymore questions just ask on the forums :)

• Official Q&A

Welcome, Gen.pixelz!

The FAQ Hobbes mentioned can be found here.  As he said, feel free to ask questions here.  There are plenty of helpful folks around to answer them.

I hope you and your son enjoy the game!

• '16 Customizer

I also have a question about subs. Does each sub get a new surprise attack with each round of combat? This also goes in tandem with my previous question: if a sub conducts a surprise attack, can it still participate in the general combat?

Thanks!

• Official Q&A

Subs get a Surprise Strike in each round of combat in which no enemy destroyers are present.  In each round, a sub either fires a Surprise Strike or fires along with everything else - it can’t do both.

• I also have a question about subs.  hi btw, i’m a rookie A&A player, nice forums!
    anyhow, my question concerns fighters and subs.  specifically, if a sub were to attack a carrier and hit, what becomes of the planes?  i understand that fighters on the carrier are allowed to defend, but they can’t hit subs.  so are they considered cargo in this case, or are they defending, but unable to hit?  if they are defending, do they die because of having nowhere to land (the sub can’t hit them) or may they land on an adjacent friendly zone? 
    i saw in the rulebook pg 27

a fighter based on a defending carrier must land on the same carrier if possible.  If that carrier is destroyed in combat, it must try to land elsewhere.  It must land on a different friendly carrier in the same sea zone, move 1 space to a friendly territory, island, or aircraft carrier or be destroyed

is this my answer?  it’s a little unclear to me.  thanks for anyone who can give a ruling!

• well, i tried looking for the answer before i made this post, unsuccesfully.  but i have browsed some more and run across the answer.  oops!  i ask that my ignorance be suffered with patience  :|

• @ragnarok628:

i saw in the rulebook pg 27

a fighter based on a defending carrier must land on the same carrier if possible.  If that carrier is destroyed in combat, it must try to land elsewhere.  It must land on a different friendly carrier in the same sea zone, move 1 space to a friendly territory, island, or aircraft carrier or be destroyed

is this my answer?  it’s a little unclear to me.  thanks for anyone who can give a ruling!

Yes. If your carrier is hit then, after all combats are resolved, the defending player can move the fighters 1 space to an adjacent friendly landing area (territory, island or carrier). If your fighters can’t reach any friendly area with that 1 move then they are lost.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m