• So after almost four years of inactivity, I’ve decided to return to the forums. Those of you who don’t remember me won’t care. Those of you who do are few in number at best (though I still recognize a few names). In any case, thought I’d say hi and start my own “welcome back” thread, because I’m ego-centric like that.

My return is thanks largely to my resurgent interest in A&A (and its variants), which I hadn’t played in years before this winter and boredom led me to dig them out of my closet and play a couple rounds against myself.

Having remembered why I love Europe, D-Day, and Bulge, I had a look around and discovered that Avalon Hill has since released several more (the last one I got was Guadalcanal, which I still haven’t played). Being the lazy sort, I decided to skip searching the various threads discussing these games, and invite people to give me their opinions on them here, sort of as a “welcome back” present (remember, ego-centric).

Also, I’ll be aiming to revitalize the Europe and Bulge forums, which look tragically dead.

So, glad to be back, and looking forward to getting my geek back on!

• Yea i remember you. Good that you saw the light and headed back to the fold.

• Yes, it is always good when a fellow member that has wandered off comes back to the flock. I am interested in learning from you, and do you have Spring 42 or Pac/Euro 1940, as these are the variants that I have.

• Thanks for the welcome, guys.

I don’t have either of those variants, SP - the last one I got was Guadalcanal. In total, I have Original, Revised, Europe, Pacific, D-Day, Bulge, and Guadalcanal. Part of the reason for my return is my interest in Spring '42 and Pacific/Europe '40, as I don’t know anything about either of them. How do they compare to Revised and the original Europe and Pacific?

• '10

@Wargaming_nut:

Thanks for the welcome, guys.

I don’t have either of those variants, SP - the last one I got was Guadalcanal. In total, I have Original, Revised, Europe, Pacific, D-Day, Bulge, and Guadalcanal. Part of the reason for my return is my interest in Spring '42 and Pacific/Europe '40, as I don’t know anything about either of them. How do they compare to Revised and the original Europe and Pacific?

I would advise you to not waste time on Spring 1942 although it is the lowest priced of them all. Go right to the 1940 games and if the global is too long a game for you then just play the Europe or Pacific versions.

• First get AAE40, or alternately DL my AA50 map and use the new pieces from AA42 ( cost $20). The pieces are much better than before.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Welcome Home.

• @Fishmoto37:

@Wargaming_nut:

Thanks for the welcome, guys.

I would advise you to not waste time on Spring 1942 although it is the lowest priced of them all. Go right to the 1940 games and if the global is too long a game for you then just play the Europe or Pacific versions.

I like Spring 1942 the most.

So clearly, opinions differ.

Why didn’t you make this thread about me?!?!?  :wink:

Welcome back… I do remember you!

GG

• Welcome back.

Never thought about playing myself to get  a game in. In a few years my son will be old enough, I figure.

• Europe 1940 looks really good, I may have to get my hands on that sometime (maybe I’ll hold out till summer, and see if I can get someone to give me it as a birthday present :P).

While I’m at it, anyone recommend any rule variants for the games I already have, maybe a recreation of WWI, or a theoretical clash of the Cold War, etc.?

Never thought about playing myself to get  a game in. In a few years my son will be old enough, I figure

It’s a pretty good way to go, honestly, though obviously not as good as having another player (or three). It allows to you test strategies against an all-knowing opponent, as well as try wacky things without any “real” consequences.

• Spring 42 is my first aaa love and is great, but global is even greater.

• '10

@Wargaming_nut:

Europe 1940 looks really good, I may have to get my hands on that sometime (maybe I’ll hold out till summer, and see if I can get someone to give me it as a birthday present :P).

While I’m at it, anyone recommend any rule variants for the games I already have, maybe a recreation of WWI, or a theoretical clash of the Cold War, etc.?

Never thought about playing myself to get  a game in. In a few years my son will be old enough, I figure

It’s a pretty good way to go, honestly, though obviously not as good as having another player (or three). It allows to you test strategies against an all-knowing opponent, as well as try wacky things without any “real” consequences.

Print out ILs AA50 map and the anniversary rules then find some extra units for the Chinese and Italians. If you have some unusual colored units in those old games that might work. Or try the new coachofmany online store. He is selling lots of different color units.

• I don’t know you (I’m newish) but I’d like to say hi anyways

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

He didn`t stick around too long…

• I’m still here. Just been busy with Real Life.

• I meant before you took the 4 year break or whatever…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m