• What skills are needed in a German player, and what skills are needed for a Japanese player?

• Germany:

• Playing three different fronts(Eastern, Africa and defense of France)
    • Being able to work out what percentage of defensive units and aggressive units to build when having to guard against D-Day but still attack Egypt and the USSR

Japan:

• Being able to use transports well
    • Controlling a large fleet

Just my thoughts

• thanks!

• @strategic:

What skills are needed in a German player, and what skills are needed for a Japanese player?

Ability to think tactically and strategically, and to get along well with others.  The particulars can be learned, but 'tis best to start with a strong base.

It is not enough to be a “good German player” or a “good Japanese player”.  A “good player” should know the tactics and strategies for all the powers, including knowing how powers can combine their forces for strong effect.

Take, for example, the not-immediately-obvious Japanese air to Ukraine/West Russia/Caucasus trick.  In a sample game, say Germany can put 16 units on one of those territories (a few infantry and a lot of tanks), but the Russians can counterattack with 21 units.  This is often a trade that’s going to end badly for the Germans.  But say Japan flies 4 fighters in to land on the newly captured German territory.  Suddenly, Russia can hardly dare to attack.  Russian infantry, artillery, with some tanks and fighters may be enough to destroy a German force composed mostly of tanks, if the Russians have superior numbers.  But once you drop four fighters on the German territory, the Russians simply often don’t have the attack power to match - they can kill a lot of tanks, but German tanks will survive, and Russia’s power will be broken.

But this never happens if Japan doesn’t remember to work together with its ally, and plan accordingly.  If the Japan player just keeps fighters wherever, those fighters will probably not be in position to reinforce German positions when needed.  The Japanese player has to watch the German front, and for an opportunity.

• '16 Customizer

Take, for example, the not-immediately-obvious Japanese air to Ukraine/West Russia/Caucasus trick.

I recently played a game against my friend, where I was the Axis, and I think that the above move probably won me the game. On G1 I threw pretty much all of the available ground units and fighters at the Caucasus in attempts to capture it… this turned out to be a vital move in crippling the Russian deployment options… later on in the game you only have one “front”/IC to worry about. I also moved 1 or 2 fighters to Norway to harass the various allied ships that were not yet organized into a fleet. On J1 I flew 4 fighters to the Caucasus… later on in the game these fighters are even more valuable becuase they can be used to shore up the holes in your German lines, especially when you are pushing to Moscow. Using this joint J and G strategy, I didn’t even have to devote many of my IPCs to attacking Russia as Japan.

Overall, you definently have to be agressive as the Axis right out of the gate.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m