Any thoughts on the Minor IC in Southern Ukraine?

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Theory - Germany takes the offensive to Russia in G4.

I’m thinking  Italy Takes Bulgaria I1,  Goes to Romania I2, hits Bessarabia I3,  and the Germans take the factory in southern Ukraine, with mechanized and armored divisions on G4.

This armored thrust then puts you within reach of the caucasus N.O. - a southern most strategy, and combined with Italy, a decent shot at getting the Oil NO’s and perhaps Volvograd.

Any takers?

• No, Germany is strong enough already. This could well be a gamebreaker.

• My thoughts are it was very considerate of the Russians to build that Minor for Germany.

• Sent you a TOP SECRET PM Gargantua!  I’m using it tonight!

• What is the thought behind that IC?  History in WWII? Does that represent Kiev?  There was a huge contingency of Ukrainians that joined the Wehrmacht after the German liberation of Ukraine.

• Customizer

Yeah, I tend to agree with you guys.  I think adding that IC in the Ukraine is going to prove more detrimental to Russia than to the Axis.  While it may help Russia get troops to the front a little quicker, especially infantry, once Germany attacks Russia, it won’t take them long to get to that IC and if Russia doesn’t have sufficient force to take it back, then Germany has a nice IC to build up troops right in Russia’s front yard.  Easy to take Stalingrad.  Then Germany has 2 ICs to build up more units for the final push into Moscow, 3 if you figure they have taken Leningrad by this time.

• @knp7765:

Yeah, I tend to agree with you guys.  I think adding that IC in the Ukraine is going to prove more detrimental to Russia than to the Axis.  While it may help Russia get troops to the front a little quicker, especially infantry, once Germany attacks Russia, it won’t take them long to get to that IC and if Russia doesn’t have sufficient force to take it back, then Germany has a nice IC to build up troops right in Russia’s front yard.  Easy to take Stalingrad.  Then Germany has 2 ICs to build up more units for the final push into Moscow, 3 if you figure they have taken Leningrad by this time.

I’m betting that Larry put this in to speed the Russian game up.  If Germany takes 2 of the minor ICs around Moscow, that’s half the reinforcements needed to keep on pushing to Moscow.  If Germany takes 3 minor ICs, then Russia’s pretty much down to producing INF in Moscow anyway, and Germany will probably be outproducing them even from the 3 minor ICs, making it a matter of a few turns before Moscow falls.

Could also work in the same manner for the Reds if they’re doing well on their front, making reinforcements on the front line.  A good idea, and it saves Germany $12.  :-D

• '10

I think the idea is to take some of the pressure off of Leningrad.  In all of my games, this was the first city to fall as it is closest to the German frontier and attacked already by Finland and the Baltic German fleet.  Now Germany MUST concentrate on taking the Ukraine FIRST and Leningrad SECOND.

• My strategy for when I play russia (I’m almost always italy or japan) I leave token defense on the border nations w germany and rally my armies in leningrad, belarus, west ukraine and ukraine. The added ic will prob help out since I now have two places where I can pump out infantry and fast units to the frontline. With the new NOs I can use the stalingrad ic to reinforce the caucasus and use moscow to send units to help out china

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m