• @Hellmutt:

Why the extra UK plane in Normandy??  I didn’t see any discussion on the Harris site regarding that addition.

It can also be used to attack the Italian navy.

• Final? I hope not we have 3 global versions now one can play any they want it’s just rapid A&A evolution at the moment

• Nice job on the charts questioneer. ~~Two things I noticed as missing on your setup cards is the Ukraine gets 3 inf and a minor IC, and Kiangsi gets 3 inf and 1 art.~~Keep up the good work.

Oops, posted in the wrong thread… :oops:

• @morrel:

Final? I hope not we have 3 global versions now one can play any they want it’s just rapid A&A evolution at the moment

Thankfully we can all play the version we want to play, I play a self-adapted version of Alpha 1 which I believe to be very balanced, and am now slowly adding house rules (difficult since every change might upset the delicate balance).

I would not be surprised to learn that the Ukraine IC turns out to be a game breaker.

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

I thought of one seemingly important question I haven’t seen asked during this play test process… No one is using the techs, right? I say that because with the right tech, any country could end up with a game breaker. To put it simply, in order for us to achieve this “balance” that we are looking for, all play testers should NOT be using techs. Just wanted to make sure that we minimize the outside “luck” variables in this process.

• Board doesn’t change (why would it?  It still has the same ol’ typos it always had).

I thought I read something somewhere about changes TT values? Not the case?
    But as Krieghund friendly suggested in my other thread: I’ll stick with OOB rules for now. Sucks though, because pretty much all the strategic posts on this forum are based on some kind of Alpha.

• WHats happened to the US NO of boosting income at war?  And what are the new starting incomes?  Are they the same?

If the US doesnt get its extra IPC’s, isnt it a huge nerf to the allies?

Also,  If german naval units are moving into the channel, and germany attacks uk navy, can planes scramble to assist from uk?

• Official Q&A

These questions have already been asked and answered.

• @Variable:

I thought of one seemingly important question I haven’t seen asked during this play test process… No one is using the techs, right? I say that because with the right tech, any country could end up with a game breaker. To put it simply, in order for us to achieve this “balance” that we are looking for, all play testers should NOT be using techs. Just wanted to make sure that we minimize the outside “luck” variables in this process.

I’d prefer that tech is used for testing, because that’s a work that should be done before selling the game, and I want to continue using the tech (the biggest advance in AA50 was ignored by some reason in 40 series). At least one could hope that they’re going to test the tech a bit after selling the game  :-P Tech doesn’t affect the game balance, but the way of playing (requires more skill in case of using tech), specially with the very nerfed techs that now we have

The only reason I’m not using tech by now is that Larry did a huge setback reviving the Classic system of non-persistent tech teams … big error: AA50 was the way, or at least Revised

Please, Mr. Harris: decide for once the ruleset and setup for this game, and use WOTC testers for the next one before selling it, not free testers on the web after selling. Surely not your fault, but this is going to hurt big A&A future selling

• @Krieghund:

Sorry, but I dont see the answers to my questions in this thread.

• @General:

@Krieghund:

The answers aren’t in this thread; they’re in the FAQ and probably a couple of other threads.

Edit: I actually didn’t look through the thread, but apparently they are here (as per Krieghund’s post below).

@General:

WHats happened to the US NO of boosting income at war?  And what are the new starting incomes?  Are they the same?

If the US doesnt get its extra IPC’s, isnt it a huge nerf to the allies?

Also,  If german naval units are moving into the channel, and germany attacks uk navy, can planes scramble to assist from uk?

The US still gets boosted income - it’s just spread out a bit to make it easier for the Axis to disrupt.

1. Collect 10 IPCs per turn for complete control of the continental US (WUS, CUS, EUS). Theme: Basic national sovereignty.
    2. Collect 5 IPC per turn if the Allies control 5 of the 7 following islands. Midway, Wake, Marianas, Iwo Jima, Caroline, Solomon Islands and Guam. Theme: Islands considered to be vital strategic forward bases.
    3. Collect 5 IPCs per turn for controlling the Philippines. Theme: Center of American influence in Asia.
    4. Collect 5 IPCs per turn for controlling Hawaii, Alaska, the Aleutian Islands, Line Islands, and Johnston Island. Theme National sovereignty issues.
    5. Collect 5 IPCs per turn for controlling, Mexico, Southern Mexico, Central America (Panama) and the West indies. Theme: Defense treaty & trade obligations.

It’s not a nerf, considering the US still gets the full 30 IPCs.  It makes the game a bit easier for the axis (compared to OOB, which was unbalanced towards the allies).

And yes, UK planes can scramble to assist a naval battle in the channel.

• Official Q&A

@General:

@Krieghund:

They’re at the bottom of page 1 and the top of page 2.

• @marechallannes:

3. Collect 10 IPCs, once, for Soviet capture of Berlin (Germany). Theme: National prestige.

If Zhukov takes Berlin is game over. Why even bothering about collecting 10ipc for the USSR? Building up for the Cold War?

• @Black:

@marechallannes:

3. Collect 10 IPCs, once, for Soviet capture of Berlin (Germany). Theme: National prestige.

If Zhukov takes Berlin is game over. Why even bothering about collecting 10ipc for the USSR? Building up for the Cold War?

There could be a situation where Japan has decimated all enemies in the Pacific but the USSR took Berlin (possibly with the USA focusing on the Europe board).  In that case it could make sense.

• @Black:

@marechallannes:

those 10 bucks may be really useful to assemble a nice Victory Parade at the Red Square  :-D

• @Krieghund:

@General:

@Krieghund:

They’re at the bottom of page 1 and the top of page 2.

Ah, very sorry for missing this.

Thanks so much for answering my questions. (and to the previous poster)

• @Ruanek:

The US still gets boosted income - it’s just spread out a bit to make it easier for the Axis to disrupt.

1. Collect 10 IPCs per turn for complete control of the continental US (WUS, CUS, EUS). Theme: Basic national sovereignty.
    2. Collect 5 IPC per turn if the Allies control 5 of the 7 following islands. Midway, Wake, Marianas, Iwo Jima, Caroline, Solomon Islands and Guam. Theme: Islands considered to be vital strategic forward bases.
    3. Collect 5 IPCs per turn for controlling the Philippines. Theme: Center of American influence in Asia.
    4. Collect 5 IPCs per turn for controlling Hawaii, Alaska, the Aleutian Islands, Line Islands, and Johnston Island. Theme National sovereignty issues.
    5. Collect 5 IPCs per turn for controlling, Mexico, Southern Mexico, Central America (Panama) and the West indies. Theme: Defense treaty & trade obligations.

It’s not a nerf, considering the US still gets the full 30 IPCs.  It makes the game a bit easier for the axis (compared to OOB, which was unbalanced towards the allies).

And yes, UK planes can scramble to assist a naval battle in the channel.

I would disagree, because it is almost certain to cost the US production through the course of a game, therefor it certainly is a nerf.  Now i cannot speak to the balance of the game under Rules As Written or under the Alpha+ setup and changes (because i cannot find anyone in Dallas to play with!)

• @Ruanek:

@Black:

@marechallannes:

There could be a situation where Japan has decimated all enemies in the Pacific but the USSR took Berlin (possibly with the USA focusing on the Europe board).  In that case it could make sense.

That happened to me once, I was Japan and was able to take Moscow on the same round Russia took Berlin ending with a cool 120 IPC’s or whatever it was. This was in AA50 though. BUT Britain was liberating France, so it was only a matter of time before Italy ate it and thus me next, so aside from dice/techs, it’s only a matter of time when Berlin, or dare I say, Tokyo fall. Also, can anyone convert the Alpha +2 setup picture? I can not open .AAM files. Thank you.

• @Dijitz:

Also, can anyone convert the Alpha +2 setup picture? I can not open .AAM files. Thank you.

.AAM is not a picture file… it’s a save file for the free ABattlemap program.  You should try it out - it will allow you to move the pieces around as you strategize, etc.  You’ll also need Func’s 1940 Global module.

• @Stoney229:

@Dijitz:

Also, can anyone convert the Alpha +2 setup picture? I can not open .AAM files. Thank you.

.AAM is not a picture file… it’s a save file for the free ABattlemap program.  You should try it out - it will allow you to move the pieces around as you strategize, etc.  You’ll also need Func’s 1940 Global module.

Thank you, now how do I get the Alpha +2 loaded… been having a hard time figuring that out.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m