• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

You could call this a Tips and Tricks thread, or a Strategy Thread, but I figured the best thing to call it, was:

The “Lessons Learned” Thread

So I’ll start this off, and I want everyone to contribute,  in point form, about basic game facts, mini theories, and Aha! moments.  Please add as you see/feel necessary.

1. Britain even if left relatively alone, can be kept out of the game easily enough with limited German air and sub superiority.  The
    brits don’t make enough $ to build ships AND men.  And they don’t want to put their units in range of getting obliterated.

2. Navies without transports and men, are of very limited threat to the overall game (Unless convoy blocking or killing your transports) Make sure when you build a navy, you have men and transports to take territories with it.

3. Russia is BIG,  Yes, it takes the Axis a long time to get there… but, it takes the Allies, EVEN LONGER to get there and help.  even landing in Europe only has a limited effect on Axis efforts on the eastern front. If you are the Axis, make sure you build the Maximum amount of units you can on the eastern front to keep the pressure on as best as possible, to make sure you meet your goals.  If the Russian Capital falls, unless Berlin AND Rome fall at the same time, you can forget EVER liberating Russia back.

3. Norway is CRUCIAL to the Axis war effort.  3+5+3 = 11 IPC swing if the Allies take it.  Every Turn the germans keep it, the allies are getting slammed with the economics.  Make sure you keep a transport or better (With scramble coverage or better) inside the Baltic, you NEED to control the north if you are the Axis, and if you are the allies, you need to Kill that navy, and take Norway away as soon as possible.

4. PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR CAPITALS. With all the bonus movement, extended ranges, new units, rules, and loads of can-opener effects. WATCH YOUR CAPITALS like a hawk.  When in doubt, DOUBLE up against your opponents chance of taking it.

5. PARIS is a show.  Only take it, if you can hold it, AND only if you can supply it with more than +6 ground units and air a turn.  Otherwise you’ll lose it to the Axis and they’ll collect + 20 or whatever, and you’ll have lost any french holdings you have world wide as the allies.

6. Germany needs to built a plane or two EVERY turn that it can (Maybe not G1).  Air Supremacy in Europe is everything.  It gives your units strength on the ground, it makes your navies defendable, and gives you options.  If you lose Air Supremacy in Europe, you are losing the game, or will soon.

7. America needs to use EVERY piece on the board to maximum effectiveness.  Make sure you use every piece and that there is not a single american piece on the board, that is without purpose, or course action.

8. China is a problem, and the best way to spread that problem, is with other allied support. Russia and U.K… Involvment, a Hold In Yunann has been seen as quite effective.

9. China wins more on the ATTACK than the DEFENSE.  This is because when China Defends, the Japanese bring in unlimited air support to paste any chinese units that resist  Stacks of chinaman only ever get to roll once on defence, but sometimes 3 or 4 times on attack.  When the Chinese attack, they can win, because they face ONLY Japanese ground units.  Killing Japanese Ground units, as often as possible, is how to make China Survive THAT much longer.

10. Mobility, keep your units in territories that give you the most options.  Don’t box yourself into corners, or fly your bombers to Greenland.

11.  Taking a French African territory nets the axis +1.  Taking a British African Territory nets the Axis +1 but the Allies -1. so net +2.

12.  Don’t forget your NO’s, fighting for these, and keeping the economic game in your favour, or going toward your favour is how to win world wide.  If you win the economic game, you’ll win the game.  The Capitals will fall eventually.

13. Only attack with your navy, against an equally sized navy, when you are ALREADY IN CONTROL of the Islands around you that you want.  There is no sense, blowing up there navy, and losing yours, if they already have all the islands and you can’t take any now that you are navyless.

14. If you know a territory is going to get steamrolled with 50 inf, art, mec and tanks.  Don’t leave 1 guy there defending it - unless it’s to stop a blitz.

15. Don’t be afraid to challenge.  Sending 1 inf at 1 against 1 inf at 2, can often make the difference.  Especially when you can replace your 1 guy, and your opponent can’t replace yours.

16. Transports can Draw fire.  Sometimes it’s better to seperate a transport from your navy.  Than to just let it sink with the navy that is going to die anyways.  The example is, your opponent has 2 fgt’s 1 tac.  You have a battleship and a transport.  Now, you are going to lose that fight, but, if you seperate the two, now your opponent has to decide… sink both?  sink one?  If he get’s greedy, he might take the transport, but lose to the ship… either way, your transport just drew you a hit - instead of dying regardless.

17.  Don’t be afraid to sacrifice transports to make gains that are difficult for the enemy to reciprocate.  IE, taking a factory territory whilst losing a transport, or an Island that is part of an NO, or worth a considerable sum.  YES, you will LOSE the transport for free, but now your opponent will have to sail there, to take it back, FIGHT your units on the ground, draw in ships for bombards, and air support if he wants to garuntee the win.  Resources that would otherwise be going elsewhere…

18. Mobility is worth money,  sacrifing planes, transports, ground units, or whatever, can sometimes be worth it, if it means taking a territory like Gibraltar back, that just bought you another turn - either moving forward, or slowing your opponent down.

19. Money is made, not when you just collect income, but when you KILL enemy units that are worth more than what you lost.

20. Trade units when YOU are in control, either when you are making more money than your opponent, have more units in the region, or know that once you make the trade, you can replace your unit, but they can’t replace theirs.

21. Russian Tanks - If you pay attention to how many tanks the Germans have, and try to make sure that you have about as many tanks as they do, it will always be difficult for the Germans to attack you. Because chances are, you’ll already have as many men as they do already on the ground.  VS building MOSTLY infantry (No counter attack capability) or MOSTLY tanks (no staying power against German assaults)

22. Keep silent- Don’t talk about what you are going to do to your opponent, or you’ll lose.

23. Consciously Move or consider every piece you own, every turn.

24. The Aircraft Carrier range boost.  Always remember, you can land in a SEA ZONE that has a factory present, if you are willing to build an ACC there.  This can give you a + 1 range boost if you committ.  This boost, even if the ACC dies on the following turn, can be worth sometimes, especially when there are undefended GROUPS of transports in the water…

25. Aircraft Carriers soak hits .  Yes they can’t roll to attack, but if they are part of your navy, or you are against them, DON’T underestimate there capabilities.  If you think about it, 16 IPC’s /2 = 8 IPC’s.  That’s 8 bucks a hit, same as a destroyer. CHEAP. Feel free to sink your carriers whilst on the attack or the defense if it’s going to make the difference for you… no one thinks you are going to, but it’s not really that bad of a trade.  I’ve sunk a few American fleets in my time using this technique, even if you go in for a STRAFE.  It’s fair game and good economics. (If you are doing more damage to them)

I appreciate some of these tips might be simple, and or well used.  But I thought I’d drop em off, and encourage others to do the same.  Let’s see what you’ve got!

• These are all good points, especially on a board of this size with a lot of new rules and options.

• While I’m thinking about this. The killing of the navy navies where u don’t control the islands around it isn’t always a good one.  Many times as the US I have killed both the US and jap navies with no way to get the islands near by just because I have the advantage of knowing that now I can win the purchasing war since the japs need to still worry heavily on the land front.    2.  Don’t under estimate the power of the submarine. With the new convoy raid system they can become a very sneaky tool. In the pacific I like to send subs north towards japan, towards china and then towards the DEI. Those $6 subs become much more expensive headaches for the Japanese. They lose $2 for each convoy with the sub then 8 for the destroyer. -10+.                        2.  Then the carrier hits are a great value especially in large navy attacks. If u know you are going to lose your planes anyways why not send the now empty carrier to soak up the hits.  The thing the make sure though is that for every two carrier planes kill you then kill the carrier.  If u take the hits on the carriers first assuming u will lose the planes for the carrier u just removed and then those plans aren’t hit. You will shoot yourself in the foot for having to remove perfectly good planes from play because they now have no where to land.

Who else has some points?!?!?

Come on people! :P

1.  Sometimes a series of very small ongoing battles are better than one BIG battle.  Especially where you trying to do things like Defend China, or Africa from Invasion.

• 1. Remember that you can’t take subs as casualties if the opponent has no destroyer
    2. As Germany, dob’t leave 11 lone transports in the open ocean ready for a Russian sub to sink
    3. Bombers in WUS can reach Algeria, bombers in Gibraltar can attack Z10 and land in WUS, bombers in EUS can reach New Zealand, and bombers in England can hit both Italian zones and land on malta

• 1- Sometimes leaving a lone soldier on the front line is a very helpful tactic. IE: Germany wants to move its troops towards moscow as quickly as possible, by leaving the one Russian infantry out front to absorb the german front line soldiers and aircraft, you can counter attack the Germans and NOT have to worry about enemy fighters rolling at a four and decimating your troops. The result is you trade that single territorys IPC’S over and over and the Russians IC’s are close enough to reinforce these fronts if your primary purchase’s are mechs, tanks and maybe a fighter or two.

• '10

Very interesting thread.
    Thanks for your post Gargantua. I read a few things that we don’t do enough in our group…

For Calvin, i’m just a little confused by this :

@calvinhobbesliker:

1. Remember that you can’t take subs as casualties if the opponent has no destroyer

This apply only for the hits caused by the opponent planes when he has no destroyer right ? I mean : if your opponent attacks with just subs, battleships and cruisers, you can take subs as casualties right ?

What calvin is refering too, is a game he and I played where I defeated him using carriers and planes.

He had a FAT navy, statistically superior to mine, and he had several subs for fodder hits.

What he failed to realize however, is that I just LEFT my destroyer behind, and attacked with all planes and my carriers.  Sure, my 3 carriers took I think 1 hit from his subs.  But it was irrelevant, because I couldn’t hit those subs, all my fighter hits where directly onto his naval elements.  I ended up sinking his fleet, with FULLY LOADED transports, into the bottom of the sea.  It cost me 3 carriers,  and left a pile of American subs off the coast of england.  But america had NO other land elements, and the economic gain was like + 70.

I’ve used this before several times… particularily as Japan.  Just send ALL planes against an opponents navy, and it’s as if his subs aren’t even there.

• Another good tip  - Always move your AA guns where they are likely to see action, and with your large armies, it will give you the edge.

• Remember AA guns, facilities, and complexs PREVENT the blitz.

• as the allies, when landing in france, it’s VERY difficult to attack large german stacks (Like West Germany),  so don’t.  instead of trying to attack with a weak force, stack your units in one territory with another ally nation, UK/USA, and force the Germans to attack YOU. Even if it’s a 2 dollar territory. This gives you the defenders Edge, and your units fight togehter. Even better, if he doesn’t attack, than you get to unload ANOTHER volley of units into that territory, and attack other territories he has chosen not to defend.  If you bring an AA gun, any of his fighters will SUFFER from it.

• build the odd sub, someone else said it, and I agree.  They can be a NIGHTMARE.  No matter what country you are.  and if you have subs in the water, try to focus on the enemies destroyers, so that he can’t attack YOU.

• DIRTY TIP! when playing face to face.  Don’t chip your units up, leave them in a messy pile on the board.  Move the clump of units around, and no one will know quite whats in there…  I’ve seen this work many a time.

• The power of what you CAN do, is BETTER, than the power of what you WILL do.

IE, an Axis fleet off Gibraltar, CAN invade U.K, West coast Africa, or the U.S. Capital.  many players will build defenses expecting such attacks, IE more MEN.  Even if you NEVER attack, they essentially built defenses (slowing them down) even though you never planned to attack and don’t.

For the allies it’s the same…  You can hit SO many territories once you have a navy, and depending on what Sz it’s in.  You’ll  spread the germans thin, or get to land for free.  Just by being in the right place.

• [[color=red]quote author=Gargantua link=topic=21840.msg734182#msg734182 date=1294787532]
    You could call this a Tips and Tricks thread, or a Strategy Thread, but I figured the best thing to call it, was:

The “Lessons Learned” Thread[/u

So I’ll start this off, and I want everyone to contribute, {[color=red]{Idi Amin will}  in point form, about basic game facts, mini theories, and Aha! moments.  Please add as you see/feel necessary.

1. Britain even if left relatively alone,{I felt so alone with an Island full of inf and no Navy} can be kept out of the game easily enough with limited German air and sub superiority.  The
    brits don’t make enough $ to build ships AND men.{Tell me about it I had like 12 IPCS to rebuild the Royal Navy}  And they don’t want to put their units in range of getting obliterated.
    2. Navies without transports and men, are of very limited threat to the overall game (Unless convoy blocking or killing your transports) Make sure when you build a navy, you have men and transports to take territories with it.{Agreed}

3. Russia is BIG,  Yes, it takes the Axis a long time to get there… but, it takes the Allies, EVEN LONGER to get there and help.  even landing in Europe only has a limited effect on Axis efforts on the eastern front. If you are the Axis, make sure you build the Maximum amount of units you can on the eastern front to keep the pressure on as best as possible,{That means 10 inf every turn out of your Romainia IC} to make sure you meet your goals.  If the Russian Capital falls, unless Berlin AND Rome fall at the same time, you can forget EVER liberating Russia back.

3. Norway is CRUCIAL to the Axis war effort.  3+5+3 = 11 IPC swing if the Allies take it.  Every Turn the germans keep it, the allies are getting slammed with the economics.  Make sure you keep a transport or better (With scramble coverage or better) inside the Baltic, you NEED to control the north if you are the Axis,{As I recall last F2F game your efforts fell short in Scandinavia due to stubborn Russian resistance} and if you are the allies, you need to Kill that navy, and take Norway away as soon as possible.

4. PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR CAPITALS. With all the bonus movement, extended ranges, new units, rules, and loads of can-opener effects. WATCH YOUR CAPITALS like a hawk.  When in doubt, DOUBLE up against your opponents chance of taking it.

5. PARIS is a show.  Only take it, if you can hold it, AND only if you can supply it with more than +6 ground units and air a turn.  Otherwise you’ll lose it to the Axis and they’ll collect + 20 or whatever, and you’ll have lost any french holdings you have world wide as the allies.

6. Germany needs to built a plane or two EVERY turn that it can (Maybe not G1).  Air Supremacy in Europe is everything.  It gives your units strength on the ground, it makes your navies defendable, and gives you options.  If you lose Air Supremacy in Europe, you are losing the game, or will soon.

7. America needs to use EVERY piece on the board to maximum effectiveness.  Make sure you use every piece and that there is not a single american piece on the board, that is without purpose, or course action.I agree here as well but sometimes saving all your IPC’s for the first round can benificial so you can see which way the Axis are headed.}[/colo
    8. China is a problem, and the best way to spread that problem, is with other allied support. Russia and U.K… Involvment, a Hold In Yunann has been seen as quite effective.[color=red]Always try to kill the “Flying Tigers” at any cost}

9. China wins more on the ATTACK than the DEFENSE. {Don’t forget your commital roll}
      This is because when China Defends, the Japanese bring in unlimited air support to paste any chinese units that resist  Stacks of chinaman only ever get to roll once on defence, but sometimes 3 or 4 times on attack.  When the Chinese attack, they can win, because they face ONLY Japanese ground units.  Killing Japanese Ground units, as often as possible, is how to make China Survive THAT much longer.

10. Mobility, keep your units in territories that give you the most options.  Don’t box yourself into corners, or fly your bombers to Greenland.{Or lose the whole UK fleet}

11.  Taking a French African territory nets the axis +1.  Taking a British African Territory nets the Axis +1 but the Allies -1. so net +2.

12.  Don’t forget your NO’s, fighting for these, and keeping the economic game in your favour, or going toward your favour is how to win world wide.  If you win the economic game, you’ll win the game.  The Capitals will fall eventually.

13. Only attack with your navy, against an equally sized navy, when you are ALREADY IN CONTROL of the Islands around you that you want.  There is no sense, blowing up there navy, and losing yours,Unless you are the USA, they can afford to lose their navy, Japan can’t!} if they already have all the islands and you can’t take any now that you are navyless.

14. If you know a territory is going to get steamrolled with 50 inf, art, mec and tanks.  Don’t leave 1 guy there defending it - unless it’s to stop a blitz.

15. Don’t be afraid to challenge.  Sending 1 inf at 1 against 1 inf at 2, can often make the difference.  Especially when you can replace your 1 guy, and your opponent can’t replace yours.

16. Transports can Draw fire.  Sometimes it’s better to seperate a transport from your navy.  Than to just let it sink with the navy that is going to die anyways.  The example is, your opponent has 2 fgt’s 1 tac.  You have a battleship and a transport.  Now, you are going to lose that fight, but, if you seperate the two, now your opponent has to decide…. sink both?  sink one?  If he get’s greedy, he might take the transport, but lose to the ship… either way, your transport just drew you a hit - instead of dying regardless.

17.  Don’t be afraid to sacrifice transports to make gains IE, taking a factory territory whilst losing a transport, or an Island that is part of an NO, or worth a considerable sum.  YES, you will LOSE the transport for free, but now your opponent will have to sail there, to take it back, FIGHT your units on the ground, draw in ships for bombards, and air support if he wants to garuntee the win.  Resources that would otherwise be going elsewhere…{Remember when placing newly purchased Transports to put them out of range of enemy planes}

18. Mobility is worth money,  sacrifing planes, transports, ground units, or whatever, can sometimes be worth it, if it means taking a territory like Gibraltar back, that just bought you another turn - either moving forward, or slowing your opponent down.

19. Money is made, not when you just collect income, but when you KILL enemy units that are worth more than what you lost.{Not always!}

20. Trade units when YOU are in control, either when you are making more money than your opponent, have more units in the region, or know that once you make the trade, you can replace your unit, but they can’t replace theirs.

21. Russian Tanks - If you pay attention to how many tanks the Germans have, and try to make sure that you have about as many tanks as they do, it will always be difficult for the Germans to attack you. Because chances are, you’ll already have as many men as they do already on the ground.  VS building MOSTLY infantry (No counter attack capability) or MOSTLY tanks (no staying power against German assaults){That are far away from their supply lines}

22. Keep silent- Don’t talk about what you are going to do to your opponent, or you’ll lose.{Or get laughed at}

23. Consciously Move or consider every piece you own, every turn.{Especially if your France!}

24. The Aircraft Carrier range boost.  Always remember, you can land in a SEA ZONE that has a factory present, if you are willing to build an ACC there.  This can give you a + 1 range boost if you committ.  This boost, even if the ACC dies on the following turn, can be worth sometimes, especially when there are undefended GROUPS of transports in the water…{As I recall a couple of games ago it was you lost 7 undefended transports or was it 8 in this exact manor.}

25. Aircraft Carriers soak hits .  Yes they can’t roll to attack, but if they are part of your navy, or you are against them, DON’T underestimate there capabilities.  If you think about it, 16 IPC’s /2 = 8 IPC’s.  That’s 8 bucks a hit, same as a destroyer. CHEAP. Feel free to sink your carriers whilst on the attack or the defense if it’s going to make the difference for you… no one thinks you are going to, but it’s not really that bad of a trade.  I’ve sunk a few American fleets in my time using this technique, even if you go in for a STRAFE.  It’s fair game and good economics. (If you are doing more damage to them)

I appreciate some of these tips might be simple, and or well used.  But I thought I’d drop em off, and encourage others to do the same.  Let’s see what you’ve got! {See you on Saturday}>

• @Gargantua:

• DIRTY TIP! when playing face to face.  Don’t chip your units up, leave them in a messy pile on the board.  Move the clump of units around, and no one will know quite whats in there…  I’ve seen this work many a time.

Dude, I’m just a messy player……that’s all…Not dirty!

• @Gargantua:

I’ve always applied a ‘force stack’ rule to prevent stuff like this. In fact, most I play against are all fierce ‘stackers’ ie no more than one unit of a kind in a territory, and the rest only chips. Exception: capital ships. We even have named stacking and adding chips to them after the initials of someone who always went around the board doing this very thing.

Also, enforce a dice tower, or else a ‘dice must land in the box and upright otherwise they do not count under any circumstances, and they must be rerolled’ rule. Prevents a lot of argueing afterwards. Also, one of the opposition must witness the rolling.

{As I recall a couple of games ago it was you lost 7 undefended transports or was it 8 in this exact manor.}

{As I recall last F2F game your efforts fell short in Scandinavia due to stubborn Russian resistance}

You are correct on both points Idi, that’s why this is called the “Lessons Learned” thread.  These were both Valueable realizations.  We all make mistakes, those were some of mine, fortunately, we yielded a draw, and an incomplete in those games. So neither manuever cost me the game :P

I especially liked your point about DOUBLE CHECKING that you don’t leave newly built transports undefended in range of the enemy.

• I love Mech Inf.  For Russia 1, I usually build 3 Inf. for Leningrad and 7 Mech Inf. for Moscow.  Gives me a chance to get to Leningrad for the Fight.

Mech. Inf. is useful for Japan to attack China/Russia and For Italy/Germany to attack Russia.

Go Mech INf.

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

Here is an essay I wrote for a friend on how to play the axis in Global OB…

probably redundant to what’s already been posted, but may have some original insights.

The following is a summary of my knowledge re: A&A with special emphasis on A&A Global.

1. Playing Styles

There are basically two playing styles in A&A, pursuing the (1) the ultimate strike and (2) the general push.  They are exclusive playing styles in that they cannot be pursued at the same time but one can alternate between them during a game.

A. Ultimate Strike. The ultimate strike concerns when player seeks victory through one decisive battle at a critical point in time or place, but usually in place.  This is the high risk, high reward way of playing.  This kind of play to be successful requires two things: unforseeability and luck.  The player moves his forces in ways in which the opponent cannot readily discern the ultimate objective and/or cannot counter it, and then the moving player suddenly moves his forces into place.  However, given that all moves are made in the open and all the pieces can be viewed on the board, the likelihood that an opponent will not at least partially predict your move and strengthen his forces is high, necessitating good dice. Further, battles of a critical nature usual occur at critical points, such as Capitols, which are by their nature usually heavily defended, again meaning that any advantage in the battle will by slight, requiring good dice.

Examples of this sort of play are obviously: Germany employing sea lion and then also Japanese fighters in Russia.  The latter is more instructive.  Japan moves its fighters in Asia in mass and then onto the eastern front.  Since Japan moves after Germany, Japan can land its planes on a newly conquered territory, preventing a Soviet counterattack.  If this occurs, say, in a territory next to Moscow, the massive advantage is obvious.  Russia is contained, and Germany has a springboard for massing troops to kill Russia in one or two rounds.

The advantages of this type of play are that obviously if you succeed you win the game.  The drawbacks of this style of play are obvious.  If the ultimate play fails, then the player is generally exposed and irrecoverably weakened.  Further, even if the player succeeds, he may be exposed and dangerously weakened.  Sea Lion is instructive in this regard, i.e. the ultimate strike works, but overall leads to a weaker position.

B. The General Push.  Following this style of play, a player will establish general grand strategic goals and then pursue them incrementally.  The keys factors here are to maneuver always effectively and predictably toward your ultimate objective and to fight only battles with low to moderate risk of losing.  Here there is little to no surprise visa vie your enemy.  But you effectively use terrain and your composition of forces to destroy resistance and to continuously and methodically improve our position over your opponent until they are defeated.

Examples of this are the classic eastern front and Pacific naval theaters.  In the former, Germany moves in on a broad front, using its material advantages to pushing the Russians back to Moscow, making battles only on favorable terms.  In the Pacific, the US usually confronts a superior armed Japan. Thus the US must maneuver about, avoiding combat, but slowly building its forces until the Japanese fleet is vulnerable.

The advantages of this style are that you exercise a high degree of control over the progress of the game and can make informed, calculated choices. The draw back is that it does lend itself to be blindsided by ultimate strikes.  The classic is the sea born invasion of Germany by the Allies while most of the panzers are deep in Russia.

C. Comparison.  I have always played as a general push player.  Again, given that the game is in an open format with all units and moves on the table, the ultimate strike usually will fail with experienced players.  Indeed, sea lion is a bust if UK builds only men its first round.  However, I think the strategies in some combination are useful.  Most often the general push followed by an ultimate strike can succeed, such as in Russia when the Germans must finally take on the Russian army in total.  However, the opposite has happened, such as in our last game when I prepared sea lion and then feigned it into a general push into Russia.  That was an extremely powerful move because the Allies could only foresee those ships in use toward the UK.  John Weatherby was a fan of the ultimate strike plays.

Overall, I think the truth is a banality: be flexible. Play the general push and then use the ultimate strike if possible.  Many of the games I lost were because I panicked and prematurely invoked ultimate strike.

2. A&A Global Strategies.

Since you will be playing the Axis, I will now opine on my thought on Axis strategies as I see them.

1. The US and when?

The ultimate question for the Axis I think is when should the US be brought into the war.  The decision will basically determine if and when Germany goes on the defensive and if and when Japan will be able to go “Hog Wild,” i.e. expand without limitation on all fronts.

The answer to this question is tricky.  It depends I think on the Axis’s immediate goals.  If the immediate goal is a sea lion attack, then the US should be left out as long as possible.  If the goal is to provide Japan with the strongest position possible I think the US should be attacked right away.

Part of this consideration is the fact that the US basically will have only three options in how its plays: (1) all in towards Germany/Italy (2) all in towards Japan and (3) and some division among the two.  The last is the least dangerous towards the Axis obviously, as it is the hardest to play for the US.  See how my father played the US in the last game – a nullity.  The 1st strategy is probably the most dangerous, although it will leave Japan open to go Hog Wild from the start.

Unfortunately, there is only one strategy that will control how the US will play: Sea Lion.  If Germany takes the UK, then the US must attack Europe with almost everything it has, allowing Japan to go Hog Wild.

1. Germany

a. The key to understanding Germany is to realize that it is the weaker of the two main Axis powers in terms of number of military units on the board.  Japan has something like 20+ fighters and tac bombers. Germany has 7.  Germany however is in the more critical strategic situation with more victory cities and capitals surrounding it.  Economically Germany has greater potential as well.  However, with the UK, USSR and US all attacking, Germany at some point will have to go over to the defensive unless it achieves victory over the USSR.

b. The second move I think is the most critical move for Germany.  The first move is wrote: kill British fleet, take France and move into neutrals.  The second move Germany will be flush with cash, 60+.  It is the second move where I think Germany must decide where it will focus.  The choices are obvious: east or west.  I suppose there cold be a third, i.e. just go over to the defensive right away and let the allies attack you in the hopes they in their vain attempts to crack you, will allow Japan will grow super powerful and unstoppable.  The danger is that, believe it or not, the USSR has massive potential if it is able to take Germany territory and may get out of control, i.e. become stronger then Germany alone.

c. Sea Lion.  I think you are aware of the ins and outs of this strategy.  If it works it does not necessarily spell the end of the war as Germany will not have enough units to kill Russia.  The game we played was an anomaly with the sea lion feign.  Further JW did not prepare Russia very well for the German attack.  There was an interesting post on A&A.org where someone used a large German fleet to invade the USSR from the Artic.

d. Blockade and Barbarossa.  I think the strongest yet most conventional German move would be to on the second turn build up its air force and subs and men with the long term goal of containing the UK with subs and planes and then preparing for an all out onslaught against the USSR.  The advantage obviously is that subs are cheap(!) and the air force is dual purpose – effective in the Atlantic and eastern front.  Thus you provide yourself with an effective western shield and can effectively prepare for the inevitable attack on the USSR.

e. Eastern Front.  They have changed a lot in the game but the fact that Germany’s fortunes will inevitable rise and fall on the eastern front is still the same.  This is sadly an inescapable fact.  I have not seen any way around this.  Unless the USSR is played ass backwards, the USSR will crush Germany if it can.  Japan used to be an effective partner is in this endeavor.  But with the board now expanded, this is unlikely to happen.  Even if were Japan able to clip off the eastern USSR, it still would not materially impact the course of the eastern front within any reasonable time frame.  There are I think 8-10 spaces between the Asian coast and Moscow.  Japan taking or aiding in taking Moscow is not realistic. Thus Germany must rely on what arms it has and hope that Japan can draw off enough power so that Germany can focus on the USSR and Russia is not reinforced.  I must admit I am not sure there is any sure fire strategy re: the USSR.  There are now so many provinces in the eastern front that it’s likely you will have to move around according to the tenor of the game.

However, I do think you can set to basic goals regarding the USSR.  First you can go straight for Moscow. This strategy will be similar to the ultimate strike.  You must engage Russian units wherever possible even if not favorable with the objective of whittling them down as fast as possible. If Germany builds up for this strategy from the start with massive stacks of men and tanks etc then I think Germany after a few rounds will emerge on top and the USSR severely weakened. Using a small Italian force in this regard will be critical to open up holes in the soviet lines that you can pass through and attack soviet concentrations. The Soviets will be hard pressed and they will not be able to replace their units as quickly as Germany even as Germany’s supply lines grow.  The disadvantage to this strategy, as with any ultimate strike strategy type, is the dice may turn against you.

The other strategy is the “Long War” strategy.  Move into the USSR with objective of taking territory and increasing over the long run your economic advantage to the point you can take the USSR at will.  Avoid moderate risk battles and just push the soviets back on a broad front.  Japan may even be able to aid you in this in the Far East or Middle East depending.  The disadvantage to this strategy is that your economic conquests may be fruitless if the Allies reoccupy Western Europe and open a second front, nullifying any gain in the east.

f. Africa/Neutrals.  I think that Germany has no to little role in Africa. It’s a sideshow best left to Italy.  Attacking true neutrals would be insane.  They provide buffers for you.

3. Japan

a. The key to understanding Japan is that while it is the more powerful militarily of the two from the start, the increased distances on the board mean that this might must be spread much thinner.  The problem with Japan is to balance its goals with this expanse of space.  It appears Japan can do anything it wants, but in reality can only do a few things that will last.  The allies in the Pacific are more resilient than they seem.

b. US.  The US will be the only ally that can effectively move offensively against Japan.  Thus if the US is all in on Europe, Japan has cart blanche in the Pacific and should press its advantages.  If the US is all in towards the Pacific, then Japan must play a high stakes games of killing the US fleet if it comes in rage but not in a way that will expose any surviving Japanese ships to counter attack.  Air bases and subs will be critical to this dynamic.  Beware; the US starts with more airbases and capacity to build numerous subs.

c. Carolinas or Pearl Harbor.  We have discussed the virtues of using the Carolinas as a shield against US incursion.  Pearl Harbor could also serve such a function.  However, the later would obviously be more contested and likely to result in the US directly attacking you on favorable terrain.  Although, Japan could always retreat prior to an imminent attack.

d. China.  In my opinion China is nothing but a waste of time. The territories are virtually worthless and china has an extraordinary degree of tactical flexibility.  It’s a sideshow.  Yet I understand that I may be in the minority here.  The contrary opinion is that you must kill China lest it rise up and thrust a knife in your side.  Yet it seems to me that going back to the first problem with Japan, soldiers are so far and few in between for Japan that wasting them in China cripples Japan’s ability to occupy the East Indies.  I am willing to be proven wrong on this however.

e. India  As you know this is the primary goal.  Conquering India will solidify your position in Asia beyond reproach and expose Africa and the Middle East.  What can be said that is not already apparent about its importance?  However, getting India is another thing.  There are three modes of invasion: over land and by the sea or both.  Building a 10 factory in Hong Kong or perhaps even more effectively in Malaya is critical to this endeavor.  Basically there are two ways to defeat India: destroy India’s army outfield or in India itself. The former is preferable.  To do so via the latter will give India the advantage of its production etc.  I think the best way to do it is to churn out units in a 10 factory, maybe even another 3 in Indochina, and charge straight for India.  China can intervene especially in Burma where is can park units as a block.  Bringing around the fleet can be critical to this in that it will allow you flank any such giant Chinese/India force in Burma.  Japan’s air force will be critical in this regard.  It must on the hand be able to pose a deterrent to the US fleet and then be able to fly west to the final fight in India.  One must keep accurate count and watch the turns.

f. USSR. The Soviet Far East is a chimera.  There are at most 5 provinces you can take worth only 1.  The 18 man strong force is a serious deterrent.  I think it would be a waste to assault this force for so little gain.  However, obviously this gives the initiative to the USSR.  However, if Japan keeps a fleet in range to conduct amphibious landings then Japan can, in conjunction with its air force, destroy any incursion.  I recommend just pulling out all troops for other purposes with the caveat of keeping units in range for a retaliatory strike.

g. Japan, Carolina, Indochina Triangle.  Remember the triangle trade? Well in the Pacific there is an equivalent, without the molasses. In all my years of A&A I have stunned by how inept Japan players are with their transports.  The needed dynamic could not be easier. Troops from Japan need to go to Indochina or thereabouts to engage India or the East Indies, and the transports need to be able to move back in one turn to Japan to then dump troops off at the end of their move in the Manchurian theater.  Back and forth, back and forth.  Yet the problem is that now you can move three from Japan to Indochina but not back.  If you build a harbor in Hainan, that would fix the problem.  Not to mention that with a harbor in the Carolinas, you could converge in the Carolinas with a massive force from all over the Empire in range of Hawaii or Australia.  With those three harbors, Japan can move around and threaten whatever corner of the Pacific its wants with impunity.  Obviously building a harbor on Hainan would have to come after building factories, and may even be rendered unnecessary.  But with that harbor, Japan achieves a level of tactical mobility that will give it an advantage over any enemy seeking to invade the inner Pacific.

h. Australia.  Australia can either be taken right away or only after a more lengthy investment.  I’d say only go after Australia AFTER the East Indies have fallen and India.  Ventures to Australia expose your flanks from attacks from the US and India.

4. Italy

a. Italy is despite its weakness only a benefit. I have found only two (2) effective purposes for Italy: (1) take Egypt and build a factor to dominate Africa and (2) open up holes in the eastern front for the Germans.

b. Africa.  If the UK destroys the main Italian fleet, Italy is not precluded from taking Egypt. Italy still has one transport and 2 planes to reinforce.  I bet if Italy pushes all units toward Egypt, it will succeed.

c. India Gambit.  By threatening Egypt, Italy plays a crucial role in Japan’s attack on India. The only plausible source of immediate UK reinforcements for Egypt are from India.  Thus the more Italy threatens Egypt/Africa the more the UK must redeploy forces there unless it decides to abandon North Africa and rely on South Africa to hold the line.

d. Italian Factory in Egypt.  This is the main objective for Italy, in my opinion. Such an advent means Italy has gained local supremacy. The only way to dislodge Italy would be a concentrated UK offensive from all fronts, which is unlikely given the Japanese threat to India.  The US thus can provide the only way to root out the Italian cancer via North Africa.

e. US Invasion.  Italy has to beware of US invasion of Italy from Gibraltar.  The US can move there in one turn from the US and then right into Italy.

f. Hog Wild, Italy.  If Italy can take most of Africa and not be threatened from Gibraltar, then it will plausibly have enough case to start going hog wild, building a new fleet, large land armies, and air force.  If Italy can get over a certain income level threshold, it can blossom.

D. General Notes.

Generally, all one has to do to be a good player is to think ahead, but not too far ahead.  Running the possibilities 2-3 turns ahead I think is essential for any major push. However think too far ahead, and you get lost in the increasing number of permutations.

Beware counter attack.  If you make a critical move, the likelihood is that your enemy has units available for a counter attack.  Look for those units, make contingencies for a counter-counter attack.

If your opponent is pushing hard in one sector, then bend like a reed in the wind.  Let him fall forward, and exploit his commitment by then attacking where he has let himself go weak.

Watch harbors and airfields.  They are the key to surprise.

• Nice list of tips, well thought out.

I really liked tip#

-2, have a transport w/units threatens many areas, besides the one you are going for.

-7 & 23, very important! One may reason that it will take “6 turns to move those units into the action”, which may be the unit that is needed in the endgame.

-1,12,18,19, you have a good understanding of winning the game, instead of being worried about what is happening at the moment.

Nice article Gargantua.

1. In face to face games, I find my dice roll better when I shake them vigorously and apply some muscle and flick when I roll them out,  and the faster I make those rolls consecutively, the better they seem to be. :)  Oh and it helps if you REALLY believe you are putting Reds in the dirt everytime you score a hit on the eastern front.

2. Also, it’s a good idea to think about and plan your purchases in advance, but make sure you don’t leave them IN PLAIN VIEW during face to face games.  Infact, feel free to setup a purchase (Like a G2 sea lion purchase) that LOOK like your real purchase, to Forecast the wrong game plan for your opponents.

3. Crazy isn’t always necessarily stupid.  Look at ALL your options ALL the time.  Like Calvin Hobbes put it, look at the ranges your bombers cover, you’d be amazed what you can pull off.

4. As Japan, don’t leave units behind on islands like Palau, and Okinawa For Defense , use every damn unit you have at your disposal on the board.  And kill anyone who isn’t a yellow bstard.

5. During Naval FACE OFF’s  count how many “tippable” vessels you have to your opponents.  You know if you go in to win, it’s going to be a mutual blow out. Use a NAVAL STRAFE  sometimes one that you can build into, go in for the kill, hit as many or more of your opponents vessels, and pull out after 1 or 2 rounds. You don’t have to win the fight, you just have to do more damage to them than they did to you.  This can set them back a round, and your navy automatically heals at the start of your next turn - as long as you have attack from an adjacent zone with a friendly naval base.  And if you have a factory adjacent to that zone, even better.

5. Know when to scramble and when not to.  Sometimes your aircraft aren’ worth scrambling, like the UK against G1 attacks for example.  Especially if you suspect Sealion.  give them the ships, whislt you retain your counter attack capability and defence.  Same can be said for island amphibious assaults.  SCRAMBLING IS NOT ALWAYS A GOOD IDEA>

6. Use air power to kill enemy naval ground units when they are far from home.  There is nothing worse as Japan, when you are setting up to attack some far away territory, and you’ve taken another territory close by, New Guinea for example when going for australia, and then suddenly all your infantry are DEAD. and you have to go back and get more, because some crazy fool suicided the odd plane to kill them off.

7. Be creative. Scripting purchases and movements ESPECIALLY in Global is not always the best idea.  Have fluid solutions that can change when necessary, and as needed.  If Japan can’t roll through a wet paper bag, and has NO GAME by round 5 for example, you don’t need to be spending as many or any ipc’s in that direction, even if you planned to, especially if Russia or the U.K. is on it’s heels.  DON’T BOX YOURSELF IN.

8. Bombers can contribute to a pinch defense effectively.  Say the game is on the line,  The Big push into moscow is going to happen on the next german turn.  The dice are 50/50.  You have four bombers sitting in Scotland,  put them in harms way,  sure, there chance to score a defending hit is low, but there chance to suck up a hit for the Russians, is 100% :)  And that can be the edge you need. That, or use them to attack some of the units that are going to be part of the German push.  Yes your bombers will die, but they’ll take some A**holes with them.

• Another general naval tip in the Pacific (due to its great size) is to ‘pepper’ the ocean with individual destroyers (posibly paired with subs).  They block seas zones, cause your opponents considerable worry, and can also be available to ‘converge’ during a battle (more so than infantry on land due to their mv of 2) to give extra firepower and soak up extra hits…often without your opponent realizing this aspect.

• if the british have a carrier in the mediterranian or can move one in, a fighter from the uk can reach most seazones there (only exceptions are seazone 96, 98, 99). this can be the tip for the british to win a naval battle against italy. (as it happened to me  :cry: :D)

german fighters and tacticals can help defend italian positions in africa quite well.

move some german subs into the med to go through the suez and eventually threat british transports there.

help each other out. “small” maneuvers often achieve this.

go via western africa with germany and eastern africa with italy to crush the british in africa effectively.

without any unprovoked attack against the US etc. there are FOUR turns, actually, for the axis to beat down the uk in europe or china in asia AND to move into best strategic positions to gain more income via conquest and subsequently NOs.

best one: possibilities are more threatening than not! (i.e. imagine a german invasion fleet at gibraltar with gibraltar hold by the axis: half the atlantic is covered…)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m