Double Allies IC in Asia (India + Sinkiang)

• Let’s talk about another strategy that I think is terrible. The double IC in Asia for allies. Here is the usual plan I see:
    -Sending a bungh of units east with Russia (the stack of 6 in buryatia and some Inf in Sinkiang + even tanks sometimes).
    -Attacking FIC on UK1 and building an IC in India.
    -Building Pacific fleet with US + an IC in Sinkiang.
    -Sometimes followed by sending even more russian units west (To protect Sinkiang).
    -Turn 5 to 6 plan : Lose Moscow and concede.

Seriously, I’d call this strategy “fun” but I am just tired of seeing that since it is definitely one of the worst strategies available for allies (And I once saw a UK1 IC India + IC Persia…)

How to beat it (If anyone wonder):
    -Build an infantry stack.
    -At the same time, take Africa with Germany which will gets you to 50 IPC, allies are so busy protecting their IC that they often don’t even try to stop you !
    -Swarm Russia with you having pretty much twice their IPC + more air units.
    -When you have Moscow on turn 5-6, explain politely that the game is over.

Seriously I have seen people doing that an insane amount of time. I know I am on quite a roll about bad strategies :) But this game is not as fun when you just know you are winning on turn 1.

• Ah, the two Asian allied factory days. Those used to be fun (if you were the axis). I wish there was a way to bring back more Pacific action. In our games now the US will spend next to no IPCs in the pacific.

• 2 factories are possible with the right moves and good 1st round battle results…uk would have to sink the transport by formosa and not attack FIC

• What about the polar express that makes US spend in the Pacific

• W. Canada is no longer a landing spot from Japan in the v4 map.

Polar Express, Spring 1942.  Fail.

Exception - if Japan has 7+ transports, or 5+ transports and a lot of air, maybe.  But I still doubt it.

• The only games where I attacked USA with Japan (without having already won Moscow) is actually against the double IC. It is in no way part of my strategy against it, but I have seen people building the 2 IC and no US pacific fleet. Therefore, after the allies pushed back Japan from Asia the most productive thing I had to do was attack LA. I have to say that the two times I remember getting kicked out of Asia by someone that didn’t made a Pacific fleet (you really need 2 IC to do that + Russian help) I actually took LA and started building 10 units a turn there. Obviously, if the players had been good they’d have protect LA correctly, but hey would they have played that opening in the first place ?

• I have to say, i have not seen anybody to build those two ICs R1 in my games ever.

While I agree the strategy is much weaker then standard KGF, I believe there actually may be situations after J1 when going Pacific is the safer way to victory.

I think there are two preconditions: 1. Germany fails to take and hold AE and 2. Japan screws Hawai. Then to go naval, build IC to sink US R1 and IC to India UK R2 gets japan really in the trouble because it will not be able to contest both the mainland and protect the islands. If it loses foothold on the mainland and starts losing islands too, it can be contained with realtively small patrol, while the production of SINK and Ind ICs may turn west to deal with the Germans.

I saw an interesting Pacific strategy though with US going all pacific, UK building an IC in Australia, to produce a few boats to give the cover for the US fleet while spending most of its ipcs on fighting Germany. While Allies lost it at the end, it was not that hopeless it may sound to somebody who was not forced to confront it.

• the allies have the advantage of seeing what the axis do to decide there move.  if in the 1st round russia gains W. Russia and Ukraine and defends well against germany, then russia can stack infantry above manchuria, and if UK defends well enough in egypt and take it back easily they can build there complex on India. (must sink the lonely transport by formosa).  if japan rolls poorly in hawaii, allowing the US to sink whats left there, the US can build the 2nd complex and choose to build a small fleet on either East (to start a flow of units to africa or norway) or West USA (to continue the naval threat on japan).  and has time to place units in Asia.

• I’m reading a few comments in this thread on how US sinks Japan’s fleet at Hawaii.

Sub/cruiser/2 fighter/bomber kills the US fleet and doesn’t risk Japan’s battleships or cruisers.

• '16 '15 '10

This was a much-loved strategy in Revised so its no surprise to see people trying it, particularly on GTO.  Some of the GTO bugs favor KJF tactics.  For example, in GTO it’s possible to block Jap bombardment of India by just leaving the UK sub in 35….this can really throw Japan off!  I’ve seen a successful tactic where the UK bought almost nothing but subs with India in a bid to eliminate the Jap fleet early.  Two more factors that favor KJF are that bombers are now 12$ and Jap transports are not military units.

While it isn’t hard to neuter Japan, it is harder to contain Germany in 42 then it was in Revised, due to the changes in the Atlantic naval situation.  So overall KJF is tougher because Germany will be a beast.

The key to success is aggressive USA air buys to destroy the Jap fleet in quick time.  You can’t effectively turn and face Germany till the Japanese fleet is destroyed and Japan is sea-locked.  So IMO the USA1 Sink factory is not a necessity…its an option if J1 goes poorly on land…but air buys to destroy the Jap fleet are the priority.

This is the most exciting and “fun” Allied strategy to play, so this is the style I recommend and play for face to face games or in any game against non-experts.  In Revised, being able to win with KJF was a great test of overall skill…and I think it will be the same in 42, though it is even harder to pull off now.

• @Bunnies:

I’m reading a few comments in this thread on how US sinks Japan’s fleet at Hawaii.

Sub/cruiser/2 fighter/bomber kills the US fleet and doesn’t risk Japan’s battleships or cruisers.

then japan may lose 3 of those units and poses no threat to US territory ( as long as they build enough to defend Alaska. )… US can put all there money to a KGF scenario and a complex in Sinkiang.

• My version of the polar express involves taking Alaska first.@Bunnies:

W. Canada is no longer a landing spot from Japan in the v4 map.

Polar Express, Spring 1942.  Fail.

Exception - if Japan has 7+ transports, or 5+ transports and a lot of air, maybe.  But I still doubt it.

So no polar express doesn’t fail

• The problem is that your UK fleet usually dies in 1942 (while it didn’t in revised). Therefore, if UK builds an IC in India and then ground units there, they are losing too much time to get ground units against Germany. And with the US also spending IPC for an IC and ground units in Asia, Russia usually cannot hold long enough against a good axis player.

• @GCar:

The problem is that your UK fleet usually dies in 1942 (while it didn’t in revised). Therefore, if UK builds an IC in India and then ground units there, they are losing too much time to get ground units against Germany. And with the US also spending IPC for an IC and ground units in Asia, Russia usually cannot hold long enough against a good axis player.

G2 builds 6 arm and 4 inf. G3 moves everything to Karelia, less 2 IPC for Russia. G5-6 Caucasus falls, and meanwhile Russia has to pull back all its units on Sinkiang/India to defend itself, leaving them open to Japan. Game over.

• @The:

My version of the polar express involves taking Alaska first

So no polar express doesn’t fail

Spring 1942:  Central US adjacent to Eastern Canada, allowing US E Canada units and E US units to consolidate at Central US.  Western Canada cannot be reached with one transport trip from Japan.  Double whammy gives US plenty of time to react.

The timing is completely different.

If you’re going to set preconditions for Polar Express, like no US ground units in US, then you should mention it, because it’s so unusual.  It’s like saying Germany should take and fortify Caucasus on G1 and Japan fly 4 fighters in.  Against a Bel/WR opening, or WR/UKR opening, that’s nonsense.  After a failed Russian triple attack, though, with 3 ground units surviving at Ukraine, and an 8 infantry Russia build, it’s an entirely different story.  In one case, it’s suicide, in another it wins the game for Axis.

• @GCar:

The problem is that your UK fleet usually dies in 1942 (while it didn’t in revised). Therefore, if UK builds an IC in India and then ground units there, they are losing too much time to get ground units against Germany. And with the US also spending IPC for an IC and ground units in Asia, Russia usually cannot hold long enough against a good axis player.

its possible to save some of the UK fleet.

@Hobbes:

G2 builds 6 arm and 4 inf. G3 moves everything to Karelia, less 2 IPC for Russia. G5-6 Caucasus falls, and meanwhile Russia has to pull back all its units on Sinkiang/India to defend itself, leaving them open to Japan. Game over.

the allies can stall this and buy america time to threaten the axis. and russia losing karelia isnt that big if they continue to trade Ukraine and hold west russia… and with that german buy germany isnt doing much for africa which means USA and/or UK can feed troops through northern afrrica which takes another 2 away from germany.    … but again this all depends on what moves the axis make if germany goes strong on land UK will be forced to go KGF along with america.  it also depends on rolls during certain battles.  strategy doesnt always guarantee victory if the rolls are not there.  it also depends on house rules used… sometimes i forget we play with certain house rules and not direct OOB rules.  for example we use 2 hit carriers.

• @Keredrex:

the allies can stall this and buy america time to threaten the axis. and russia losing karelia isnt that big if they continue to trade Ukraine and hold west russia… and with that german buy germany isnt doing much for africa which means USA and/or UK can feed troops through northern afrrica which takes another 2 away from germany.    … but again this all depends on what moves the axis make if germany goes strong on land UK will be forced to go KGF along with america.  it also depends on rolls during certain battles.  strategy doesnt always guarantee victory if the rolls are not there.  it also depends on house rules used… sometimes i forget we play with certain house rules and not direct OOB rules.  for example we use 2 hit carriers.

Ok if you play with 2 hit carriers it definitely explain why your UK fleet survives. In the real game (which is what is talked about in this forum) it doesn’t except if you go for Norway instead of Ukraine. But Ukraine is the usual move for the two IC opening since the plan is not to build an early fleet in Atlantic with UK (since there is no IPC to do so with the India IC).

As for Africa, how could Germany not have very good win odds there with no Atlantic fleet sending units there and him just sending two units a turn to Egy ? The best you could have as early allies units is the 6 UK/US1 units. The following reinforcements will take a while so Germany has good chances to have 9 to 11 Africa IPC for some of turns.

• Germany take egypt round 1… .figure they have 2 tanks left.  britain takes it back with 3 inf. fighter bomber Cruiser bombardment.  and builds fleet in SZ 2.  america sends a transport and units to take algieria and builds a fleet and units.  if germany didnt add to the fleet in rd 1 they cant do both sides of africa … US has the money to sacrifice a transport for an early deployment into africa… and UK can join them when possible.  or wait 1 round and go huge.  still depends on the outcome of dice, etc. but it can be done

• @Keredrex:

@Hobbes:

the allies can stall this and buy america time to threaten the axis. and russia losing karelia isnt that big if they continue to trade Ukraine and hold west russia…

Germany holding Karelia has a lot of advantages:

• Norway is secure (+3 IPC for G, less 3 for the UK/US)
    • Russian income stays below 30, while G remains 40+
    • Russia has to commit units to West Russia that won’t be used to defend the Sinkiang/India ICs from Japanese pressure. The same happens with the UK/US sending planes (either they go to WR or the ICs). That or Russia retreats from WR, dropping its income even more.

and with that german buy germany isnt doing much for africa which means USA and/or UK can feed troops through northern afrrica which takes another 2 away from germany.

The UK/US can commit troops but they face the same problem as before on Africa: they need to wipe out completely the German forces there. And the more troops/ships they commit, the less will be available for landings on Europe, which is where the big money is.

strategy doesnt always guarantee victory if the rolls are not there.

It’s more easily the other way around: rolls don’t get you a victory if the strategy is not there. The best definition of luck i know is: when opportunity meets preparation. If your opponent is not prepared to take advantage of good rolls, or, if you are not prepared to deal with unexpected results then you’ll be at a severe disadvantage.

• @Hobbes:

Germany holding Karelia has a lot of advantages:

• Norway is secure (+3 IPC for G, less 3 for the UK/US)
    • Russian income stays below 30, while G remains 40+
    • Russia has to commit units to West Russia that won’t be used to defend the Sinkiang/India ICs from Japanese pressure. The same happens with the UK/US sending planes (either they go to WR or the ICs). That or Russia retreats from WR, dropping its income even more.

Britain can build and fight norway or use a navy to fight karelia.  (this is with the assumption that Germany didnt buy a navy R1 and losses the transport and destroyer in the north.)  Russia doesnt necesarliy have to defend the sinkiang complexes, this depends on japanese moves.  i had said the Double IC only work depending on japans strategy & Strength in Asian land units. we could write down a mock game and assume all its moves, strengths and weaknesses and still not completely call this a failed strategy.  over all id say this is still a possible strategy that could possibly be used for the win depending on the game.  the double allied complex in asia could lend itself to any win/loss using strategies like KGF, KJF, KRF, KBF (dont think there is a KAF if so please let me know) does not mean the game is over cause of the attempt.

@Hobbes:

It’s more easily the other way around: rolls don’t get you a victory if the strategy is not there. The best definition of luck i know is: when opportunity meets preparation. If your opponent is not prepared to take advantage of good rolls, or, if you are not prepared to deal with unexpected results then you’ll be at a severe disadvantage.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m