Welcome! If you're a returning member of the forums, please reset your password. If you don't receive an email within minutes, it means your account is listed under another, likely older, email address. Contact webmaster@axisandallies.org for help.

Is Germany strong enough in Alpha?

• I don’t buy that.  With regards to Europe, we rarely see Germany losing more than 1 or 2 planex on the UK fleet kills unless the UK player scrambles, at which point he’s inviting sea lion as his fighters are dead.  Germany generally comes out of its France battle with its infantry screen dead but all other units pretty much intact, as they can still send in a couple spare tac bombers.  It’s usually left in a pretty good position to pursue Barbarrosa in whatever fashion it deems fitting.

My main point I’ve been trying to raise was that the US can’t get away with starting much of a fleet at all in the Atlantic early because its crucial for them to spend in the Pacific early on before Japan gets out of control.  All the other allies in the area are mere speed bumps, and if there’s no US navy (that’s close to par with Japan’s) already making its way past Hawaii by the time Japan takes the DEI and begins to kill of the minor Pacific allies, things are going to go downhill really fast.  Japan can force the US to spend heavily on fleet to be a threat by spending heavily on fleet in its own right.  In short, I have yet to see the US be able to effectively stall Germany without letting Japan off the hook.  Why does Germany need even more offensive power?

I get that some of you are better players than me, really. I’m not gonna argue that.  But from where our group see things, the Axis are winning the majority of the time no matter who plays what side.  Doesn’t that speak to some sort of inherent disadvantage for the Allies?  Or do we just magically become “incompetent” when we switch from playing Axis to Allies?

• “The Russians MUST hold.”

That sums up how the allies win. The battle comes down to Germany and Russia with the newest rules. So yes the best allied player must play Russia. The next best should play the USA and then the other one the UK. Its really hard to screw up as the USA unless you play your cards close to the vest. The USA has a huge income edge and it needs to throw that weight around. As long as they do that and Russia holds then the allies will be fine.  Again if the allies are not winning at least 50% of the time then the allied group isn’t attacking enough. I can see the thinking is that the axis attacks and the allies defend but the allies have to know how and when to attack. If in WW2 the allies hadn’t launched bold attacks then they would have never beaten Germany or Japan.

• The US doesn’t have a huge income edge if its splitting its IPC’s between theaters.  And you’re ignoring the simple fact that Germany can easily put the Russian player in a position where they have to chose to either fall back a territory or be destroyed, at which point the Germans move one space forward and await the next wave of reinforcements one space behind before moving ahead again.  Yes, you can threaten the German stack more by investing in units like planes and tanks or (my personal preference) artillery, but the Germans will always have more than you do as long as they stay mostly stacked up and don’t overextend themselves.  Believe me, its not that our Russian players are turning tail and running back to Moscow the moment the Germans show up, nor are they churning out 90-100% inf builds and awaiting the inevitable. Every inch of Russia is fought for, but eventually when faced with the choice of making a stand and dying, or pulling back a space toward your capital to reinforce, the choice (IMHO) is an obvious one.

• '10

Turn#1 the U.S. builds 2 CVs, 1 DD, and 1 tac and place the ships in sea zone 10. Move all ships from zone 26 to 10. Move fighters from Hawaii to new carriers in 10. Fly the fighter and tac from the west coast to 10. Place the new tac in the central. Move the sub and DD from 35 to 23. Turn#2 the U.S. builds 2 CVs, 1 DD, and 1 CA. Place 1 carrier in zone 101, fly the fighter from east coast to 101. Place the new CV, DD, and CA in 10. Fly the tac in the central to zone 10. Turn #3 the U.S. builds 1 BB, 1 CA, 1 tac, and 1 fighter. Place the new tac in zone 101. Place the new fighter in zone 10. Place the new ships in zone 10. Move the ships in 23 to 26. Move the DD from zone 89 to 101. You now have 4 fully loaded carriers, 2 battleships, 2 cruisers, 4 destroyers and 1 sub in zone 10 with 1 destroyer and 1 sub in zone 26. You also have 1 loaded carrier and 2 destroyers in zone 101. When turn 4 comes you are ready to move all ships in zone 10 to 26. Plus you have at least 70 IPCs to spend on turn 4. If you cannot check Japan with this Pacific fleet then something is wrong. You have the option to add to the Atlantic fleet or maybe buy bombers to support the Pacific fleet or maybe fighters to replace losses. You will have many options at this point.

• That’s been the basic order of purchases for the US just about every game we’ve played of the newest Alpha setup, and it works beautifully at slowing down and/or containing Japan.  It’s a kickass setup to really bring some pain to Japan and I’m a huge fan of it.  But it’s nowhere near ready on the Atlantic side to do much of anything but die, and then the US will need to spend its next two turns or so worth of IPC’s to get its Atlantic fleet to the point where it can survive a German attack, and then another turn or two in order to have sufficient transports and men to begin dropping into Europe.  Which brings me back to my earlier statements, it’s very tough for the US to exert any real pressure on Germany before its gobbled up enough of Russia that it can turn around and begin fending off Allied landings while trickling enough reinforcements to Barbarossa via Leningrad and Stalingrad to eventually take Moscow as well.  Once again, why does Germany need even more help?  This is just stacking the odds further and further in its favor.  I would like to draw attention again to the fact that these games were played without the +3 IPC bonus per territory gained in the initial Barbarossa turn, and yet Larry is looking at adding even more to Germany.  If anything, its Japan that ultimately needs the help.

Honestly the only way I’ve found for the US to make a real and lasting impact on the European side after a string of purchases like those you described was through helping the UK retake and hold Cairo while protecting London.

• '10

@chompers:

That’s been the basic order of purchases for the US just about every game we’ve played of the newest Alpha setup, and it works beautifully at slowing down and/or containing Japan.  It’s a kickass setup to really bring some pain to Japan and I’m a huge fan of it.  But it’s nowhere near ready on the Atlantic side to do much of anything but die, and then the US will need to spend its next two turns or so worth of IPC’s to get its Atlantic fleet to the point where it can survive a German attack, and then another turn or two in order to have sufficient transports and men to begin dropping into Europe.  Which brings me back to my earlier statements, it’s very tough for the US to exert any real pressure on Germany before its gobbled up enough of Russia that it can turn around and begin fending off Allied landings while trickling enough reinforcements to Barbarossa via Leningrad and Stalingrad to eventually take Moscow as well.  Once again, why does Germany need even more help?  This is just stacking the odds further and further in its favor.  I would like to draw attention again to the fact that these games were played without the +3 IPC bonus per territory gained in the initial Barbarossa turn, and yet Larry is looking at adding even more to Germany.  If anything, its Japan that ultimately needs the help.

Honestly the only way I’ve found for the US to make a real and lasting impact on the European side after a string of purchases like those you described was through helping the UK retake and hold Cairo while protecting London.

Stand by Chompers, looks like we got a new Alpha+2 to deal with. Got to check out the changes.

• One step ahead of you.  More units for Germany, less for Russia, weaker US NO, and no more Anzac capturing the Carolines for the US, or UK/US threatening Berlin via seizing Denmark to open the straight.  Let me know if I missed anything major, I’m gonna go beat my head against the wall for a bit.

edit Russian Minor IC in Ukraine…interesting, and at least he removed the German initial Barbarossa territory grab N.O.  Overall though, seems to have strengthened the Axis slightly while weakening the Allies slightly.  I guess he went with what made the majority of players happy, can’t say I blame him.

Welcome to the new forums! For security and technical reasons, we did not migrate your password. Therefore to get started, please reset your password. You may use your email address or username. Please note that your username is not your display name.

If you're having problems, please send an email to webmaster@axisandallies.org

T-shirts, Hats, and More

Suggested Topics

I Will Never Grow Up Games

Users

Topics

1.3m