• I belong to a gaming group out of Portland that plays with “The Cone of Silence”. Basically, other allies/other players cannot talk to the active player during their entire turn. Hence a distraction free cone forms around the player….speeding the game up through pure concentration, they claim that it speeds the game up by 40%. I have never tried it though personally I can get distracted for example when I’m totally up my IPCs. It kinda sounds a bit hardcore and harsh…I play for fun so I don’t know.

Feedback sought…

• I declare shenanigans on this topic sir.  Your ally would not be able to catch a vital strategic or tactical move.  More eyes = less errors. Well theoretically any how.

• @leddux:

I declare shenanigans on this topic sir.  Your ally would not be able to catch a vital strategic or tactical move.  More eyes = less errors. Well theoretically any how.

More eyes= more confiring= puppeteering! You can confir with your ally before you start your turn

• But that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be allowed to talk to allies during your turn.  You could have viable reasons to talk to them, including asking their opinion on how you should respond to a failed attack (or whether to pull back there or not).  If you do anything that could affect them, you have a reason to talk to them.  And not all of that talking should be confined to before your turn starts.

• @Ruanek:

But that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be allowed to talk to allies during your turn.  You could have viable reasons to talk to them, including asking their opinion on how you should respond to a failed attack (or whether to pull back there or not).  If you do anything that could affect them, you have a reason to talk to them.  And not all of that talking should be confined to before your turn starts.

Was Hitler on the phone asking Tojo for his opinion: should invade Russia?

• @Idi:

@Ruanek:

But that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be allowed to talk to allies during your turn.  You could have viable reasons to talk to them, including asking their opinion on how you should respond to a failed attack (or whether to pull back there or not).  If you do anything that could affect them, you have a reason to talk to them.  And not all of that talking should be confined to before your turn starts.

No.  But Hitler and Mussolini talked a lot.  Churchill and FDR talked a lot, too (along with de Gaulle and Stalin at times).  Really, Hitler and Tojo (or Mussolini and Tojo) is the only one you can make a case for the leaders not talking to each other much.

• @Idi:

@Ruanek:

No, even Mussolini didn’t know the exact time. Told after the fact.

• The point here is: would the game speed up if you didn’t talk or get talked to during your turn?

• @Idi:

The point here is: would the game speed up if you didn’t talk or get talked to during your turn?

Yes, it would.  But I think a major part of the game is playing as a team, and this really diminishes that aspect of the game.

• @Ruanek:

@Idi:

The point here is: would the game speed up if you didn’t talk or get talked to during your turn?

Yes, it would.  But I think a major part of the game is playing as a team, and this really diminishes that aspect of the game.

Your missing the point>>>>>>You can still talk to your allies before and after your turn.

• @Idi:

@Ruanek:

@Idi:

Your missing the point>>>>>>You can still talk to your allies before and after your turn.

No, I’m not.  I realize that.  But I don’t see a reason to not allow a player to talk to their allies during their turn just to speed up the game a tiny bit.  And there are times where a player will want an ally’s opinion on something during their turn that they wouldn’t know to ask before and it would be too late to ask after (like the reasons I described above).

• The interaction between team players is priceless. Cant take that away. But outside distractions like " hey did you see my new ride, or my new boss at work sucks becouse……" . You can have fun and enjoy social interaction, but when your up, PLEASE be ready to go!

• '10

What about heckling your enemy?  Making him second guess his moves, or make his Allies think he is acting jealously and only for his own benefit rather than the team?

Table talk both positive and negative is one of my favorite aspects of playing a board game rather then a video game… IMHO.

• @FieldMarshalGames:

What about heckling your enemy?  Making him second guess his moves, or make his Allies think he is acting jealously and only for his own benefit rather than the team?

Table talk both positive and negative is one of my favorite aspects of playing a board game rather then a video game… IMHO.

• over 9000!

• The Portland group lets the team talk and meet while the opposing team is building and thinking.

I think it is a good idea after watching them.

• @inverted:

over 9000!

Over 9000! thats impossible

• So you want to not allow the entire team to talk during each of their player’s turns, while they’re also distracted by the other team’s planning (because that’s the only time they can plan - during the other team’s turns)?  I really don’t see what’s so bad with talking to someone during their turn.

• Sounds pointless and not much fun.

And Idi Amin as a username? WTF are you thinking?

• When FMG releases its combat unit pieces (which, if I’m not mistaken, will include some sort of Leader unit), I suppose a house rule could be devised saying that you can only talk to the players on your side when all your Leader pieces are in the same territory – for instance, the way Roosevelt, Churchill and de Gaulle met at Casablanca after the Allied invasion of French Morocco, or the way Hitler, Ciano and Kurusu signed the Tripartite Pact in Berlin.  There could also be a rule saying that you can only talk to the players on the enemy side when all your Leader pieces are in the same territory – an early example of which in the game would be the French surrender in June 1940.    :-D

• I do not like “Table Talk” regarding strategies and missed moves/opportunities in Multi-Player games (as long as it is 2 vs 2 or 2 vs 3, etc…)

Players can all talk at the start of each new round to plan general strategy…but thats it.

Not really the original point of topic…but, what the hell…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m