Alpha axis victory conditions in Alpha

• Well, I think the main difficulty behind the USA strategy is deciding how much to focus on each theater, and I like that.  I think the US player should be forced to spend of both sides, because that’s historically accurate and makes the game more interesting.

• I think it is good that Axis can win on one side of the board and lose on the other because it means we will no longer see ignore Japan strats like in revised,spring 42 and AA50. This will also then make it easier for Germany to try and win thus creating a fairer game

• In WWII USA crushed Germany and only after crushed Japan.

• @MEGAEINSTEIN:

In WWII USA crushed Germany and only after crushed Japan.

Yes however they has started to attack Japan prior to that. Guadalcanal started in 1942. It was only in 1943 that the western allies invaded Italy and in 1944 was when D-Day happened. The US also After Guadalcanal launched other attacks throughout the Pacific. Japan left the war after Germany and that was because of the A-Bombs.

@MEGAEINSTEIN:

In WWII USA crushed Germany

I must disagree with this because:

One: US had UK help and French resistance help to plan D-Day.
    Two: The Soviet Union Gained a large amount of German occupied territory(Which became the Eastern Bloc) and also put pressure on Berlin. I have more points if you care to ask

@MEGAEINSTEIN:

In WWII USA crushed Germany and only after crushed Japan.

Also How relevant is this as the poll was about Alpha victory conditions and I see no talk about what happened historically but just talks about not being able to play Ignore Japan/Germany strats.

However (historically) it would have been possible if US had put all resources into the Pacific that the Allies could have won on both sides considering the large Soviet Counter offensive which included lifting the siege of both Stalin and Leningrad and the battle of Kursk and much more so I believe that with maybe some British help they could have forced Gerrmany into submission but the question is would the British and Soviet troops be able to form a cohesive army. Japan killed its chance of having a victory by attacking the Americans because they would have been happy being neutral because if they weren’t they would have attacked and joined the war earlier. But this is just my honest opinion

• Yours comments are pertinent.

I would like to point out that AA is a game that intends to be historical and Alpha rules seems to be made to balance the game instead of making it more historical.

• @MEGAEINSTEIN:

I would like to point out that AA is a game that intends to be historical and Alpha rules seems to be made to balance the game instead of making it more historical.

However in many cases rules are made to be for game play rather than be historical. I.E. strict neutrals

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I am seeing a lot of discussion about this or that is more or less historically accurate.  While I am sure all the play testers and Larry wanted to be somewhat historical in their game (It is based on world war II after all) we do need to remember it is a game and games need to start off “fair.”

I am using quotes on that because unlike Chess, there just is no possible way to set up this board to be exactly even for both sides.  For one thing, one side has more countries than the other!

That said.  If America ignores the Pacific, the allies should lose. Period.  The game should be built around that basic premise, and it is.  Japan can easily sweep down, crush England and ANZAC and move to take Hawaii without serious American interest in stopping them.  (Isn’t it nice that this aspect is historically accurate?  America threw a lot of Marines and Army Air Corps into the Pacific to stop Japan while tackling Europe.)

What I do not have a problem with is America all but ignoring Europe. (Note, I am talking the continent, not the board.)

So the Axis having the ability to “snipe” a win in the old M84, AARe style is all good for me.  The one thing I would change is to move the VC in Ottowa to Central Persia.

• this poll today is tied so it means little.

at least it means that everyone should give some thoughts on the matter.

• So to get the topic back to victory conditions as I have not had a chance to look at alpha setup because im apparently banned from the larry harris website is it 8 out of 11 AND 6 out of 8 VCs or is it 8 out of 11 OR 6 out of 8 VCs

• @TheDefinitiveS:

So to get the topic back to victory conditions as I have not had a chance to look at alpha setup because im apparently banned from the larry harris website is it 8 out of 11 AND 6 out of 8 VCs or is it 8 out of 11 OR 6 out of 8 VCs

or

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m