• This may have been addressed before, but my opponent and I are thinking about adding defensive retreats as an option.

Basically as a defender, you would have the option to retreat your army to an adjacent controlled territory at the beginning of each combat roll. If you choose to retreat, the attacker would still get an extra roll to inflict some damage on the routing forces.

Obviously this means some heavy adjustments to strategy. You don’t need to be as careful with your advancing armies as long as there’s enough  cannon fodder to cover the attacker’s first roll. It becomes a lot harder to destroy large stacks, unless you have them surrounded.

My question to you guys: do you think this rule adjustment favors one side more than the other?

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Favours the allies way too much.

The balance of the game is decided early, by the ability of the axis to kill things like battleships and fighters on the front lines before they can move.  This would have a devestating effect on game balance, if lots of these items could “run away.”

Call it the axis losing the “initiative”.

• My friends and I already tried the dedender retreat but the big problem is…the game is way too much longer!!!

• '10

@Pelanderfunk:

This may have been addressed before, but my opponent and I are thinking about adding defensive retreats as an option.

Basically as a defender, you would have the option to retreat your army to an adjacent controlled territory at the beginning of each combat roll. If you choose to retreat, the attacker would still get an extra roll to inflict some damage on the routing forces.

Obviously this means some heavy adjustments to strategy. You don’t need to be as careful with your advancing armies as long as there’s enough  cannon fodder to cover the attacker’s first roll. It becomes a lot harder to destroy large stacks, unless you have them surrounded.

My question to you guys: do you think this rule adjustment favors one side more than the other?

In our house rules games we allow the defenders to retreat if they have a commander unit only after one full round of combat. FMG will have commander units with their new sculpts. I do not think they will favor one side over the other. Of course that depends a lot on what powers the commander has. Without commander units I would say no it will make the game longer.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m