• Does anyone play with a rule on how long a turn can take - particularly the purchase and attack declaration phase? I play with a great friend, who nevertheless takes foooorrreever to decide what he’s going to do sometimes. When you’re playing a game that is already a significant commitment of time regardless, I think it would be helpful to have some kind of time limit for making decisions. Like lose 3 IPCs if you go too long.

• If more than 5 minutes have passed we simply start pressuring him to finish his buy.

One thing that might be helpful is to have a simple to use calculator while playing to speed up the cost calculations.

• I’m one of them slooooow players. Usually, one drink will speed things up for me.

It may sound weird, but it gets me in a relaxed mood. I tend to forget that it’s just a game, and the world’s not going to end if i buy 2 Inf instead of 1 Arm. Really, it’s not!

So that’s my advice : ONE drink ( not more).

• when many people are playing i find it useful to use an egg timer. 10 min. to set purcheses and combat moves.

• @lnmajor:

when many people are playing i find it useful to use an egg timer. 10 min. to set purcheses and combat moves.

Is that just a reminder to help keep things moving or do you incur some penalty if the timer limit is exceeded?

I can see the mere reminder (time goes off) as a good way to move the game along.

• As a reminder, but the penalty is if purcheses and combat moves are not completed by the ding, no combat moves are allowed. this is usally enough insentive to move it along. i noticed when there is more than 3 people playing alot of side conversation and distractions come up especially when beer is involved. also wives calling"when you comming home?"

• @lnmajor:

As a reminder, but the penalty is if purcheses and combat moves are not completed by the ding, no combat moves are allowed.

Huh?  You said it’s just a reminder then discuss the actual penalty.

Seems harsh to me.  We like to play a friendly game.  if it takes longer, so be it.
    I do like the timer as a reminder. . .  it also enables more smack talk:

“Slow pokey Generals can’t figure out how to beat us…”

“How about some turtle food for the slow movers and shakers in the army world?”

• its more like a motivator to keep things moving. does that sound better for you. some people are indecisive and afraid to make any moves that might lead to a mistake 2 or 3 turns down the line. if you cant make purcheses and combat moves in 10 min. most of the time, the game can linger on in to wee hours in the morning unnessisarily. if you have at least 3 players, they should have a decent idea of their purcheses before their turn comes up, or they are not paying attention or distracted.

• @lnmajor:

As a reminder, but the penalty is if purcheses and combat moves are not completed by the ding, no combat moves are allowed. this is usally enough insentive to move it along. i noticed when there is more than 3 people playing alot of side conversation and distractions come up especially when beer is involved. also wives calling"when you comming home?"

ha! like the comment about the wife. My wife was on me just last night! - God made no crucible more effiecient than the institution of marriage to grind character into a man; either grow or be ground up. Heh.

I like your thought about ten minutes. That ought to be plenty if you are thinking through things as the move before you plays out. I’m not sure I would enforce a no combat penalty, because that could very well mean the game in several instances - but I imagine that such a penalty rarely takes effect or only in regards to a certain territory that was waivering. I like the idea of giving the opposition  1 or 2 IPCS -minor in scope enough that you may just be willing to give a guy 1 so you can make your move in peace, and yet the other is compensated for his timely battle decisions.

• think it. you should have your purcheses pretty much thought out before your up, maybe minor adjustments based on previous players rounds combat results. that leaves almost the whole 10 min. to make combat moves, just combat moves, combat is not part of the 10 min. rule. The only countries that might take longer on occastion is japan, germany, usa. Since UK is split now that is more managable. UK used to take the longest, especially if FRANCE is included in UK moves. But thats separate and FRANCE is a joke anyway LOL.
    I hate when a player is up and hasnt been paying attention to the game. “hey, your turn”, they walk up to the table,look over the table, and their eyes glaze over. Thats a time waster! You used to be able to do that with the older AA games, but this new game is a whole nother animal

• How do you play?  Is it a social event or a true ‘competition’?

We tend to lean to more of a social event, otherwise it can get too serious and then the game is not as much about having fun as it is about WINNING.  Bad dice then start the complaining, and it can snowball into a less than enjoyable experience.

Please don’t get me wrong.  I am VERY competitive when I play, but I realize that it is just a game.  Even if I lose, I want to enjoy myself.  I don’t want the fun to only be decided on the outcome (win/loss) of the game.

• We tend to lean to more of a social event, otherwise it can get too serious and then the game is not as much about having fun as it is about WINNING.  Bad dice then start the complaining, and it can snowball into a less than enjoyable experience.

This is what AA should be and why over the years the ‘bean counters’ have sort of ruined it because they hate having partners and prefer 1Vs.1. I prefer 4-5 players minimum or i wont even play.

When you win you can claim it was because of your play, when you lose you can blame somebody else….Either way you win because the result is… you learn something.

• @Imperious:

when you lose you can blame somebody else….Either way you win because the result is… you learn something.

Very yrue, you learn not to play again with that somebody else on your team  :-D

• I always play for enjoyment, and hanging out with the guys. Maybe you missunderstood my post. I dont play a militant game. we drink beer, roll dice, and taunt each other like dudes love to do. I was just saying that to keep the game moving along and get a decent amount of rounds in in Global AA the players have to be more focused on the game so when they are up they are ready to go and make moves. if we go til 3 or 4am in the morning i like to have at least gone past 6 or 7 rounds.

• @lnmajor:

I always play for enjoyment, and hanging out with the guys. Maybe you missunderstood my post. I dont play a militant game. we drink beer, roll dice, and taunt each other like dudes love to do. I was just saying that to keep the game moving along and get a decent amount of rounds in in Global AA the players have to be more focused on the game so when they are up they are ready to go and make moves. if we go til 3 or 4am in the morning i like to have at least gone past 6 or 7 rounds.

. . . yet above you posted that you impose a penalty for slow play (no combat moves allowed)

Your words and actions seem to contradict themselves.

• What? Your reading into that alittle too much, dont you think? You dont have to use this rule. I have used it to keep the game moving along. i only posted it here as a thought that pertained to this thread. if you and your buddies want to talk about what color your wife painted the kitchen or what fertilizer to use on your lawn this spring inbetween turns go for it. different strokes for different folks.  :lol:

• @lnmajor:

What? Your reading into that alittle too much, dont you think? You dont have to use this rule. I have used it to keep the game moving along. i only posted it here as a thought that pertained to this thread. if you and your buddies want to talk about what color your wife painted the kitchen or what fertilizer to use on your lawn this spring inbetween turns go for it. different strokes for different folks.  :lol:

Where’s the icon for ‘went over his head’?

:roll:

• We normally have a rule when we’re playing with more than 3 people that you must have your purchases ready for when your turn starts, or you don’t get to buy. I often am throwing my purchase onto the mobilize units boxes in the bottom corners directly after my opponent does.

Obviously, you like to hide them most of the time, and we usually keep our purchase choices hidden directly behind our boxes, where the opponents sitting on the other side o the table can’t see them.

But if you’re up next, then your purchases normally don’t impact what your opponent is doing, especially after he’s already decided his buy. If it’s a drastic buy, you keep it to the side, but as Russia, India, China & ANZAC have very basic buys (France none at all), showing stacks of infantry and artillery aren’t going to give him much to go on. Besides, he’s already made his purchases :)

Even America and Great Britain it isn’t necessary to hide. Ships and planes is what you expect, so yeah.

Minor changes are allowed, because if India was planning on buying tons of infantry, but Japan is positioned to sacrifice transports, some subs might be thrown into the purchase, or America might go for some destroyers if Italy goes sub-heavy.

• i usually play with a calculator my self, and would love to have a game that is more than 1 on 1 but cannot find any other players…

• @cts17:

We normally have a rule when we’re playing with more than 3 people that you must have your purchases ready for when your turn starts, or you don’t get to buy. I often am throwing my purchase onto the mobilize units boxes in the bottom corners directly after my opponent does.

Now that makes good sense to me. Might be too harsh for Axis Roll thou. But then again he sounds like he likes to play it more like AXIS and BARBIE DOLLS. :-D

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m