• Or it can move its extra 2 planes to South Italy to scramble. In fact, Germany can attack z112 with planes and land them in Rome.

• '10

@calvinhobbesliker:

@Fishmoto37:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@Fishmoto37:

In Alpha+1 is there supposed to be an air base or not? I am still confused. If no air base then it appears that the Italian fleet is in deep trouble.

There’s one in South Italy

If no air base in Northern Italy then Germany will be forced to attack the U.K. ships in 110 with lots of air power in an attempt to draw the two fighters out of London and kill them to give the Italian fleet a chance.

Or it can threaten Sealion to discourage the UK from using those planes.

Sea lion looks like a waste of German resources that will be needed for Barbarossa.

• '10

@calvinhobbesliker:

Or it can move its extra 2 planes to South Italy to scramble. In fact, Germany can attack z112 with planes and land them in Rome.

Sending two Germ. fighters to southern Italy looks like it may be a dad burned good idea. I will have to study that move.

• @Fishmoto37:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@Fishmoto37:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@Fishmoto37:

In Alpha+1 is there supposed to be an air base or not? I am still confused. If no air base then it appears that the Italian fleet is in deep trouble.

If no air base in Northern Italy then Germany will be forced to attack the U.K. ships in 110 with lots of air power in an attempt to draw the two fighters out of London and kill them to give the Italian fleet a chance.

Sea lion looks like a waste of German resources that will be needed for Barbarossa.

It doesn’t have to go through the threat.

• '10

@calvinhobbesliker:

@Fishmoto37:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@Fishmoto37:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@Fishmoto37:

It doesn’t have to go through the threat.

Spending IPCs on transports to threaten Sea lion is a waste of precious resources. The Axis key to winning this game is the same as it always has been. Take out Russia!

• @gamerman01:

OOB Malta had NOTHING on it!  Finally people talk sense into him.  I’m frustrated with Larry right now.

Not so fast. Are you sure that Larry still has 100% control over the design? WotC must have a little blame to share here, even if it’s pushing the product out the door before it’s ready.

The game is only in its fourth month of release, patience… it’s the most ambitious A&A release to date and it’s completely different than classic or even the original Europe+Pacific since that dynamic changes when you combine the boards, also consider there’s new playables, PRs… NOs… Video games also have balance issues that are patched post-release.

• I think the easiest thing to say is, “If you think you can do a better job, be my guest!” I get tired of seeing people put down the game, if you are so smart, build one yourself you jack-wagons!

People need to relax and help the process. Suggest ideas, the more we can get to Larry the easier it will make his job.

• '10

@maverick_76:

I think the easiest thing to say is, “If you think you can do a better job, be my guest!” I get tired of seeing people put down the game, if you are so smart, build one yourself you jack-wagons!

People need to relax and help the process. Suggest ideas, the more we can get to Larry the easier it will make his job.

I agree. That is why I posted an alternate income schedule for the U.S. under house rules. I will play test it in our session tomorrow.

• When you guys are FINALLY done tweaking the game so your favorite side can win please let the rest of us know. I would just like to play the game, but everybody and their mother seems to think one setup is better and more balanced than the other. If they don’t win using the setup then they say they would using the NEW one. So we have evolved from the global with Larry Harris alpha setup to the global Larry Harris alpha plus setup to now the Larry Harris alpha plus 1 setup. I get confused when I play a game and people say “this is the setup as of Oct whatever… No this is the setup as of Dec whatever… no you obviously don’t read the boards this is the new Larry approved version…”

• Then just play OOB - it’s a really good game.

Larry has decided to make a revised version of the game together with the fans. Alpha is a term from software, meaning an early development version. Presumably, when it seems to be working well, there will be a Beta to get more people playing and iron out the last issues, and then a final revised version.

• Does anyone else feel that Japan should get a few of its air units back that have been removed? They feel too weak.

I am curious if anyone else feels the same.

• @Stockus13:

Does anyone else feel that Japan should get a few of its air units back that have been removed? They feel too weak.

I am curious if anyone else feels the same.

I agree.  Too weak now.

• '10

@calvinhobbesliker:

Or it can move its extra 2 planes to South Italy to scramble. In fact, Germany can attack z112 with planes and land them in Rome.

Calvin, I sent two German fighters to southern Italy on non-combat move and sunk the U.K. cruiser with two subs. With three fighters to scramble it prevented the U.K. attack on the Italian fleet. We finished six rounds in our session today. That was a great idea.

• @Fishmoto37:

@calvinhobbesliker:

Calvin, I sent two German fighters to southern Italy on non-combat move and sunk the U.K. cruiser with two subs. With three fighters to scramble it prevented the U.K. attack on the Italian fleet. We finished six rounds in our session today. That was a great idea.

Thank you. It really irks me when people complain that they can’t do anything to save the Italian fleet when what they want is to be able to kill the UK Navy, threaten Sealion, and save the Italian fleet all at once.

• Our gaming group plays Axis and Allies Global about once a week. We have played every week with all the changes since the games came out.

The Alpha +1 setup is the best one yet. On what basis do I make such a claim? The fact it is about to be Japan 5 and I have no idea who is going to win the game or even really how it will play out. The War really does hang on the edge. This is a nice change.

Normally we call the game at the end of turn 4 or 5; sometimes as early as turn 3. In the last few games we have had some really good battles in Poland, London, Java and near Midway. This setup is really balanced - at least according to our three man gaming group.

I know the above does not give many details about games we have played, but the new scramble rules and new setup really does give new options to the players about purchases. No more having to buy a Carrier and 2 Transports just to threaten Sea Lion first turn.

Anyway, my two cents…

• I wholeheartedly concur. This new set up rocks.

• Where can I see this newest set-up.  Getting Europe for Christmas and would like to be prepared with the newest set-up so I can start at 6am Christmas morning when my son wakes me from my deep slumber, lol.

• www.harrisgamedesign.com
    Go to “forums”
    Scroll way down to Global 1940.  Top stickied thread - at beginning of thread is the entire setup and rule changes straight from the horse’s mouth.

• Here’s a more direct link:
    http://harrisgamedesign.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=4060

The 12/15 changes can be seen on the link I posted in the 1st post of this thread.

• TripleA

Well it’s the end of round 3 with the new set up.  It has been a drastically different game than the last.  As it sits right now:

Germany:  Took London, EU UK is out of the game.
    Russia:  Strong front for their attack next round, German line should hold past the second wave.
    Japs:  Were going strong, attack on India failed, China has 3 territories left.  Of main concern is the Russian East front, that has been paired with USA Bombers, and land supplied by a Minor IC in Alaska that has shipped tanks over.  Japan is not looking good, I really need better strategies for them.
    Italy:  Owns Africa, fleet moving to US Atlantic.  Unsure what is going to go down with them.
    ANZAC:  Useless as ever.
    France:  Dead.
    USA:  Just got the cash bump.  Atlantic is not a threat right now.  Pacific has a weak fleet, but some menacing units in Russia.

Really liking this set up.  It has been exciting to play.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m