• @Variable:

Just need to finish Midway first.

Sweet!  Midway!

• Hi there, can someone explain to me what does " Base AA is a 2 or less "  under the naval and air base section.

• '14

@dcandf5:

Hi there, can someone explain to me what does " Base AA is a 2 or less "  under the naval and air base section.

The Naval and Air bases have an AA value! If you have 4 planes attacking a zone with an airbase then the airbase rolls 4 dice, 1 for each plane, just as an AA gun. Same with the naval base in a sea zone.

• AWESOME BOARD!!! :-o :-D :mrgreen:

• '20 '19 '18 '16 '15 '11 '10

Tigerman,

The sneak attack is just fine as it has a turn limitation. If the Axis don’t have it together by the time the US is at war, sneak attack or not, things get messy for them. It’s turn five in the game right now and things are going the Axis’ way but the States is up and is at war. Moscow still stands and the USSR will be counter attacking soon.

The only think you may want to do to satisfy the detractors is cancel the limitations on the US during the sneak attack. Past that, this game is good to go in our (there’s four of us playing) opinion.

Again, compliments on a job well done. I’ve been playing Axis and Allies for 28 years now and this is my favourite incarnation yet. It’s a big project to get the pieces and such together. All involved are loving it. 12 sided dice system works well. More details on S. American neutrals would be good.

While we’re at it, I noticed a plexiglass cover on the map shown on the video presentation. Do you find a lot of glare with this arrangement or difficulty with defining borders (or any other issues)? I’m considering 1/8" plexi for my map (and possibly ordering a spare).

• Plexi works great over map, just keep lights away from being above it because you will get glare, but on my 4 x 8 map the light is above and there’s glare but once you start playing you won’t notice it for me anyway. You can buy it in 3 x 6 and 4 x 8 foot sheets. Got mine at Menards 3 years ago.

plexi glass is the way to go, I use 2x 4x3 and a 2x4 sheet. All borders are easily defined.

U only notice glare with pictures, while playing, you’ll barely notice it if at all

• Is there a version of this map that is less geographically correct and more playable ?

As it stands i just received my copy of the map, it really looks great and is on very durable material…but…
    It is unplayable, total nightmare to setup, esp Germany there is way too much stuff to pack into way too little of spaces

Really disappointing as i almost lost sleep over waiting for this to come in the mail  :cry:

• If you didn’t get the 4 x 8’ map, ya its gona be tight in Europe. Have to chip it up. Even my 3 x 6’ map was to tight for me even after chipping up. Went to my 3 x 6 other WW2 map. There was a thread a little while ago about the guys taking request to enlarge certain areas of map. I said to make Russia smaller and Africa smaller so Europe could be enlarged. Still one of the best maps (tigermans) out there for me.

• the map i got is rougly 37" by 76"

the only trouble spots are continental Europe and the island of Japan, but they are not just problems they are total nightmares to setup lol

i may return the map for the larger one or maybe even return it and wait to see if a better scaled version comes out

the map looks really really great though, great job overall

• '14

The original design of the 39 map was intended to be put on a 96x48 layout. This was for a personnal use and not intended to be distributed. So a 72x36 map will be a little cramped. Sorry for this but if you want more room you may have to get a bigger playing surface and look at getting the 96x48 map, this is what I have.

• I just purchased this map and hope to be recieving it soon. I was more than a little worried when I saw the Uncrustable post that it is unplayable because of the coin that I dropped on it. Luckily, I splurged for the 47" x 96" big map so I should have plenty of “lebensraum” for my hordes of plastic army men. I will give a full review once I play through my first complete campaign.

• @Dispatch:

I just purchased this map and hope to be recieving it soon. I was more than a little worried when I saw the Uncrustable post that it is unplayable because of the coin that I dropped on it. Luckily, I splurged for the 47" x 96" big map so I should have plenty of “lebensraum” for my hordes of plastic army men. I will give a full review once I play through my first complete campaign.

i should have gotten the bigger one for sure, let me know how the setup fits into the European territory’s

try the 1940 map if concerned space confinement. Just the big 6 + china for set up

• @Deaths:

try the 1940 map if concerned space confinement. Just the big 6 + china for set up

your talking about the official global 1940?

• I think he means his 40 map under his post in other varients.

SS is correct. This is the Map that started the '39 map
    almost 30k views  :-)

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=11672.0

Pics on pages 7-8, maybe even 6 don’t remember exactly

• This post made me a Submarine  :-D

• @Uncrustable:

@Dispatch:

I just purchased this map and hope to be recieving it soon. I was more than a little worried when I saw the Uncrustable post that it is unplayable because of the coin that I dropped on it. Luckily, I splurged for the 47" x 96" big map so I should have plenty of “lebensraum” for my hordes of plastic army men. I will give a full review once I play through my first complete campaign.

i should have gotten the bigger one for sure, let me know how the setup fits into the European territory’s

The 1939 map is gorgeous but…
    I’m about 1 1/2 hours into my first setup on the big map. So far I have the Neutrals, ProAxis, ProAllies, and Germans on the map. Neutrals and Pros fit fine without having to chip up. Germany is bursting at the seams even with chip stacking anywhere possible. There literally isn’t enough room for the beginning setup and I haven’t even put in fortresses yet. Wondering if this was intentional in order to whip the German player up into an expansionist ferver. :?

• It is so geographically correct that it is unplayable

Very disappointing as i was really looking forward to playing this :(

Germany cannot fit period
    France cannot fit
    UK is tight
    Japan is tight
    Alot of Russia either cant fit or is super tight

Alot of the territories can barely fit a single chip, and settup calls for several units :P

Reallying hoping someone releases a playable version where geography can be thrown out
    You have less room in Europe in this map than you do in the spring 1942 version (this map is 4 times bigger than 42 lol)

• @Uncrustable:

It is so geographically correct that it is unplayable

Very disappointing as i was really looking forward to playing this :(

Germany cannot fit period
    France cannot fit
    UK is tight
    Japan is tight
    Alot of Russia either cant fit or is super tight

Alot of the territories can barely fit a single chip, and settup calls for several units :P

Reallying hoping someone releases a playable version where geography can be thrown out
    You have less room in Europe in this map than you do in the spring 1942 version (this map is 4 times bigger than 42 lol)

Well I wouldn’t call it unplayable as it has been play tested quite a bit by very experienced A&A players but yes Europe is crowded, especially Germany. A temporary fix is the task force marker cards available for free on the HBG website. Another fix could be modifying the setup by reducing the number of units but you would have to work at getting the right balance. On the 8x4 map, Western Europe is slightly larger than AAE40 but there are more spaces and a denser starting setup.

There will be a new map coming out soon by the same map makers which addresses the problems of overcrowded territories. Apparently Europe has been enlarged at least by 20%, Africa has been reduced, and some other nice modifications.

Coach is a very fair dealer and the consumate professional so I’m sure you could work out a deal with him once the new map comes out if you are unhappy with the old one (possible an exchange).

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m