I am a semi-noob at A&A, I bought A&A:E in the early 2000s and have now just purchased A&A:1942. I’ve played about 5 games and each game the axis has won, the strategy being Germany invades West Russia, Japan attacks East Russia, and as long as Germany has some naval units taking out transports trying to come into France or Italy as well as guarding the east coast with just enough defending units, the allies can’t get on land. Then once Russia is gone, with the IPCs gained it’s only a matter of time before it’s all over.
My question is, as the allies I don’t see how to win with enough time before Germany and Japan take out Russia completely and also being able to successfully doing a land invasion in time, in either eastern europe or the island of Japan. I guess I’m just missing something, are there any basic ideas/tips you can give me to help and avoid this same scenario over and over again?
Russia needs support from U.K. in India & Karelia/Archangel and from the U.S. in Sinkiang (<– This can be tough).
The Eastern Front is Yakut, Sinkiang and India.
The Western Front is Karelia, West Russia, Caucasus.
^ Keep those Fortified.
If you don’t want a Turn Break Down Stop Reading Now. 😐
RussiaBuy 8 Infantry Attack West Russia with Arch, and Karelia + 2 Planes. Move everything in Russia into Caucasus, put 1 in Archangel. Group 8 troops in Yakut. 2 into Sinkiang, 2 into Persia Land Planes in INDIA <-- This is key. Build 4 Inf at each I.C.
U.K.Buy 2 Industrial Complexes. If Germany didn’t beef up the Baltic fleet, use your Planes to sink the Transport/ Destroyer. You Must sink the Japanese transport in 59 (To avoid a Naval Bombardment in India).
* I usually sacrifice my Cruiser in 35 to do this. Its a bad trade off, but it usually means securing India which is worth it. Instead you can use your plane in 35 and land it in China. Not a terrible move but I prefer to move the plane into India for added security. Place Industrial complex in South Africa and India. By the time U.K. goes on turn 2 Germany could have capped most of Africa (If they have 2 tanks). Don’t give up on Africa. Contesting Africa is critical.
* Always build 2 units if possible, until the German Med fleet is destroyed. If your tight on IPC’s keep pumping out Infantry to thwart a capture. If a large force is approaching buy fighters. Keep the Carrier and transport nearby. ^ Same goes for India. Always build what you need to keep it safe from a building threat. At the end of the previous Russia turn always check if Caucasus can spare a tank(s) for an India defense. It can be tricky allocating IPC’s between Keeping U.K., South Africa, and India secure early on, but its doable. Depending on what Germany is doing always look for opportunities to either take Norway, Liberate/Support Karelia/Archangel (Liberating/Supporting Karelia takes a lot of pressure off Russia, if u can spare the 2 planes from U.K. land them their (if u have fodder their)). Move infantry from Persia to India.
Move your Bomber to the U.K. and begin bombing Southern Europe next turn. Always try to have at least 2 Bombers in U.K.
You have 2 turns to amass your navy and load up your transports. Taking longer then 2 turns to have an impact on the war is too long ime.
It depends what the Axis has done to decide which way to go.
Buying an Air Craft Carrier, Industrial Complex, and Transport is usually a good choice.
Get everything to S.Z. 10 load it up and go to 12 on your third turn. Sea Zone 12 is a tactically important Sea Zone imo.
When you get to 12 with your navy (Battleship, Cruiser, Destroyer, 2 Aircraft Carriers, 4 Planes, possibly the Sub and 4 fully loaded transports) look for weakness’s in the German defense. If you have the advantage always destroy the Mediterranean fleet (This relieves the U.K. in Africa).
Place the Industrial Complex in Sinkiang (Before you place this complex make sure you will not loose it when Japan goes!)
* This probably involves Russia landing its 2 planes from India in Sinkiang (Russia may need the planes to attack, but being conservative to lock down Sinkiang on turn 2 is Huge), and 2 Infantry from Novosibirsknyyyyy.
* Possibly the U.K. fighter.
* Talk to your Allies make absolutely sure they are willing and capable of doing this.
* Basically figure out what you will need to defend both Sinkiang and India if Japan decides to throw everything it has against either territory and divide the planes accordingly. <— Do this DURING Russia’s Non-Combat Movement Phase (take into account what U.K. will be purchasing for India). If Germany’s main force isn’t in Ukraine chances are Russia can spare tanks until U.S. builds up Sinkiang.
Place your Industrial Complex in Sinkiang, and always build 2 of whatever you need to keep it safe. Most likely Tanks or Fighters.
* If you don’t feel comfortable placing your I.C. in Sinkiang place it in Brazil. This will support your Navy and help U.K. with Africa. I would recommend building an I.C. in Brazil on your next turn or whenever you get the chance. Keeping an Air Craft Carrier parked their, allows you to build planes and get them to your navy to replenish the ones you lost.
When u pull everything East, Japan will probably go for Alaska, or Midway, just make sure you build enough fodder in Western to prevent an invasion.
Placing I.C.s on the Eastern front can be game breaking for both sides. If Allies hold, and keep them fortified Japan can fall into a stalemate. If Japan overthrows and takes control, its onto Russia’s weak underbelly.
* Don’t forget to watch what Yakut needs for reinforcements. Try to keep a pipeline of 2 Russian infantry (as a minimum) building in Russia, staging in Novosibirsk, and then reinforcing either Yakut or Sinkiang depending on what Japan is doing. Yakut S.S.R. will be the weakest target for Japan to break through.
Hope that Helps. 😄