• So  set the game up over the weekend to get a feel for the Alpha Plus setup and how it changes the game.  My initial impression- it actually gives Italy a damn good fighting chance.

A Taranto raid is now more dangerous for the UK, to the point where it mighty not be worth it.  This brings up a couple points I thought of.

1. Assuming either Taranto doesn’t happen or the UK loses it…  I’m thinking Italy can control the Med with mostly Air power.  Italy would have airbases on Sicily, N. Italy, and would grab Malta and Gibraltar.  Combined with it’s navy- the Med becomes very costly for anyone to ‘break into’.  Also… at 10 IPCs a pop… fighters could multiply quickly for Italy. (They start with 2 and 1 Tac now, assuming 1 loss at Taranto- it’s still 1-2 a turn…)  Putting another airbase on either Morocco, Sardinia or Egypt makes her position even stronger.  Thoughts?

2. UK- I was looking at the board last night…is it now better for the UK to initially abandon the Med?  Egypt will fall, thats almost a given.  So what about running the Egyptian Cruiser out to the 'Lantic, hooking up with the CV group and the S. American CA?  It gives the UK a nice size attack group to either retake the English channel or force the Med before the Italians can reinforce.  OK- the Egypt CA can’t reach the open sea in 1 turn but I doubt Italy would chase it- rather choosing overwhelming gunnery support against Egypt in a AA attack.  Again… Thoughts?

• Taranto looks like a loser of a battle now for the UK. My UK plan is to move the CV, Des, and Cru (SZ98) to SZ 92. The ftr from Egypt joins the tac on the CV, 3 fighters from UK/Scot to Gibraltar. Transport drops off inf and tank in Gib. Canadian destroyer blocks German Navy if transport is in SZ 112. Plane and tac from India to TJ. UK/ANZAC troops in Egypt, and Alexandria tank -> TJ. Amphib Ethiopia with Indian fleet, inf/art from Alexandria, w/ inf from Sudan. 1 inf stays behind in Alex.

Ok, so now the Royal Navy is safe in SZ 92, out of range of all Axis air. Thanks to new scamble rule, it will take 9 hits to kill, so Italians can’t attack with navy. If the Italians move their fleet anywhere besides SZ 95 or 97, the UK can attack with CV, des, cru, 5 ftr, 2 tac.

The move to TJ is important because it safeguards the Indian planes. It also prevents Italy from going there I1 and activating the Iraqis I2.

Italy could send unesorted transports to Egypt, and have a large ground advantage for a couple turns. I’m frankly not sure how to counter it either. So its all a work in progress.

• @Stikato:

Taranto looks like a loser of a battle now for the UK. My UK plan is to move the CV, Des, and Cru (SZ98) to SZ 92. The ftr from Egypt joins the tac on the CV, 3 fighters from UK/Scot to Gibraltar. Transport drops off inf and tank in Gib. Canadian destroyer blocks German Navy if transport is in SZ 112. Plane and tac from India to TJ. UK/ANZAC troops in Egypt, and Alexandria tank -> TJ. Amphib Ethiopia with Indian fleet, inf/art from Alexandria, w/ inf from Sudan. 1 inf stays behind in Alex.

Ok, so now the Royal Navy is safe in SZ 92, out of range of all Axis air. Thanks to new scamble rule, it will take 9 hits to kill, so Italians can’t attack with navy. If the Italians move their fleet anywhere besides SZ 95 or 97, the UK can attack with CV, des, cru, 5 ftr, 2 tac.

What you’re doing is extremely dangerous for the UK. Yes you may save your fleet but you’ll lose your home country!

• Hangout out where you start.Take the cruiser out the suez somewhere and find use for it. If Canadian transports survive, land them in gibralter.

If  If I were italy I’d hit the UK fleet if I could and take gibralter so UK can’t counter with it’s England planes?

• You quoted wrong there a few messages up. I meant Stikato, or anyone that brings troops and air units away from london on UK 1.

As for Italy taking Gibraltar. It can be useful in certain circumstances: when UK has not fallen and there is a huge American fleet outside Gibraltar, Italy can stop them 1 turn from getting in the med. (and if the situation allows, it can even delay 1 more turn if it manages to drop a DD in SZ92). This is without taking any british (or french) remaining fleet in consideration.

• @special:

You quoted wrong there a few messages up. I meant Stikato, or anyone that brings troops and air units away from london on UK 1.

You are assuming that the Germans are threatening Sealion, I believe. That doesn’t really happen in my group, so the UK planes are free to do as they please.

Edit: In other words–I’m not promoting my idea as the “best” strategy, its a potential response to what my opponent usually does, given the new rules. I haven’t had a chance to play it out so who knows. If I was threatened with Sealion the move to SZ 93 seems like a good place to go.

The wildcard in the situation could be how much of the Royal Navy survives G1, given the new scramble rules. If a signifant portion lives, combining the two fleets in 91 may be the best move

• @Stikato:

@special:

You quoted wrong there a few messages up. I meant Stikato, or anyone that brings troops and air units away from london on UK 1.

You are assuming that the Germans are threatening Sealion, I believe. That doesn’t really happen in my group, so the UK planes are free to do as they please.

Edit: In other words–I’m not promoting my idea as the “best” strategy, its a potential response to what my opponent usually does, given the new rules. I haven’t had a chance to play it out so who knows. If I was threatened with Sealion the move to SZ 93 seems like a good place to go.

The wildcard in the situation could be how much of the Royal Navy survives G1, given the new scramble rules. If a signifant portion lives, combining the two fleets in 91 may be the best move

I was indeed assuming that. If there is no such threat, sure what you did is valid, and sounds like a good move (especially when, like you say, there is soemthing left of the initial slaughter of the Royal Navy)

• Can fighters from Scotland reach Gib? it looks to be 5 spaces away.

• @calvinhobbesliker:

Can fighters from Scotland reach  Gib? it looks to be 5 spaces away.

Calvin it’s actually 3-4 spaces away!  I haden’t even considered adding the Scot fig to al Taranto battlbe…  yikes… ait may not be as favorable for Italy as I think… need to play this out again tonight.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m