• In this game especially my German strategy is starting to resemble my chess strategy. I use the threat of check, er territory loss, to create a situation where Germany can kill Allied units to with little loss of their own.

In the older, smaller games this was easy in the east since the German airforce was closer. Now I invite Brits into Normandy to be killed every turn and go north and south in Russia achieving little numerical victories killing time waiting for the Japanese to eliminate India, threaten the Aussies and bleed Russuan IPCs.

Anyone else do this? My J2 or 3 Malaysa attack and factory usually excites the Americans to spend some money in the Pacific for some reason.

• russia can have more than 70 inf at moscow in no time, while italy is usually killed very easily and quite quick

japan is the key to economical victory i think, germany can only try to keep russia small.

• @MarkVIIIMarc:

In this game especially my German strategy is starting to resemble my chess strategy. I use the threat of check, er territory loss, to create a situation where Germany can kill Allied units to with little loss of their own.

In the older, smaller games this was easy in the east since the German airforce was closer. Now I invite Brits into Normandy to be killed every turn and go north and south in Russia achieving little numerical victories killing time waiting for the Japanese to eliminate India, threaten the Aussies and bleed Russuan IPCs.

Anyone else do this? My J2 or 3 Malaysa attack and factory usually excites the Americans to spend some money in the Pacific for some reason.

Nice that the allies go along with your plans lol.

• Yes it is! Giving up India then a couple turns later the Aussies because America went all in on some Normandy or Norway plan is just something they are not prepared to do.

Russia has little choice. Either they fall back and turtle safely which I love or they have some give and go. Dont get me wrong, my good Russia opponent never gives up Moscow to some cheezy Italian can opener but I can usually trap things like a small Lenningrad defense force and kill them with the can opener. Last game I trapped 7inf up there.

Ya gotta understand, I am the guy who gets excited about being a pawn up in chess.

• @MarkVIIIMarc:

Yes it is! Giving up India then a couple turns later the Aussies because America went all in on some Normandy or Norway plan is just something they are not prepared to do.

Russia has little choice. Either they fall back and turtle safely which I love or they have some give and go. Dont get me wrong, my good Russia opponent never gives up Moscow to some cheezy Italian can opener but I can usually trap things like a small Lenningrad defense force and kill them with the can opener. Last game I trapped 7inf up there.

Ya gotta understand, I am the guy who gets excited about being a pawn up in chess.

Russia has no choice? You kidding me? Russia is quite capable(depending on how long they can build and their rolling) of rolling over Germany themselves. I have seen Russia take out Germany while America crushed Japan.

• To some extent we agree about how strong Russia is. If Germany forces Sealion on a prepared England Russia is DANGEROUS.

Otherwise I feel Germany has the iniative especially with the US pushing Japan.

Honestly I havent played Russia alone in a multi player game yet. While my wife is watching the biggest looser I was wondering what I would do with Russia alone.

• Customizer

I am in a Global game now.  We just finished Round 9 and decided on a break for a while.  I am playing Germany and the Russian player is also handling China.
    Germany captured Paris Round 1, forced a Sealion Round 2 and was successful but at somewhat high cost.  Round 3 took the 3 big neutrals - Spain, Sweeden and Turkey - which also took a fair amount of resources.  Therefore, I don’t think I was able to build up enough in the east for Barbarossa like I would have preferred.  I had a good force by end of Round 3, but it certainly could have been better.
    Italy really struggled with Britain in Africa and the Med.
    Japan took a gamble by bringing USA into the war Round 1 by attacking Brits and the Philippines.
    As for Russia, first three rounds she spent building a lot of infantry along the border with a few artillery and tanks.  Round 4 Russia actually attacked Germany, which I really was not expecting.  Sank all my transports and took an unoccupied Sweeden from me.  Round 5, she had destroyed all three army groups in Europe, took Warsaw and was only frustrated by Finland with a bloody repulse.  Round 6, she threw a massive army at Berlin.  Lucklily, the last couple of rounds of combat went my way and Berlin survived with just 1 fighter unit left.  Both sides were severely depleted but Germany still had her capital.
    Fast forward to Round 9. 
    Now Germany is getting strong again, starting to advance into Russia itself and threatening Leningrad.  German Navy has been sunk by the US Navy and they keep fighting back and forth over Spain, which US currently holds with a fairly strong force. 
    Italy finally finished off all British and French troops in Africa and has a tank running around blitzing territories.  Most of Italy’s resources have been spent trying to help Germany with Spain and threatening Russia with a small force from the south.
    Japan has all but destroyed China – 1 territory and 1 infantry unit left.  They have grabbed Calcutta and control Eastern Asia and the DEI.  However, both the Imperial Navy and the US Navy have been slugging it out and are almost non-existant.  Also, Japan has tanks creeping west toward Russia.
    So, while Russia is still a ways from being “out of it”, they are in pretty bad shape.  I have seen this in other games as well.  Russia is just too dang big and can’t seem to get a decent number of reiinforcements to the front.  When they start a big offensive, if it runs out of steam then it seems like Germany always grinds them back.  Unless the US can get over there with a large enough force to really threaten Germany in Western Europe, Russia will be taken out and then Germany will have plenty of money to deal with the US and push them back out of Europe with help from Italy.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m