• then Taranto

1AC, 1tac, 1ftr (fm Alex), 1CZ
    DiceRolls: 3@3; Total Hits: 23@3: (3, 5, 1)

def 1BB, 1CZ
    DiceRolls: 1@3, 1@4; Total Hits: 11@3,: (6)1@4: (4)

• Taranto- rd2

1AC, 1tac, 1CZ
    DiceRolls: 2@3; Total Hits: 02@3: (6, 6)

1BB
    DiceRolls: 1@4; Total Hits: 01@4: (6)

• tacs fire at 4 if there’s ftr

• LOL- ha ha- what a bad simo :lol:- anyway you get the point- you may make a dent in Taranto but you still need good dice.  Taking the 2subs to z106 yeilds better dividends (clear sz and take away IPC in convoys).

Of course as UK- you’re a dodo if you don’t do Taranto no matter what the opening.

• @questioneer:

LOL- ha ha- what a bad simo :lol:- anyway you get the point- you may make a dent in Taranto but you still need good dice.  Taking the 2subs to z106 yeilds better dividends (clear sz and take away IPC in convoys).

Of course as UK- you’re a dodo if you don’t do Taranto no matter what the opening.

Kungfujew will disagree, saying that it is unwise to waste a DD, CV, ftr, tac, and CC(47 ipcs) for a TR, BB, and CC(39 ipcs), especially since the CV can form the core of a new British fleet(which would otherwise easily die). The Italian fleet only gets to keep an extra transport and a BB, CC which are only useful for bombardment since they usually never leave the Med and if they do, the US kills them.

• It’s important to remember it’s not just the IPC cost to replace them, it’s also when will you get the chance.  With money spent in SA, and germany always with the threat of an “on the cheap” sealion if you spend all your money on navy.  Plus you’ll need transports and airpower…  If yu already have a core of a navy it’s easier to suppliment it with subs and the like.  You can then base everything out of Malta, or whatever you like.  If you get into a naval arms race with italy then they’re not reinforcing africa via transports, and they’re probably pinned in sz 95 or 97.  Then, once the US comes in and the navy is sunk they can’t recover, since you already own africa.

• You still get to chip away at tje italian fleet since they’ll cery likely hit the french in sz 93 and airpower from the UK can hit sz 93 and land on a carrier in sz 92.  That’s not to say that I would NEVER do it, but a turn one attack would be far from “standard”.

• What???  Your kinda of losing me.  Not worth it??  The UK navy is wiped out anyway rd 1.  Everytime I have ignored a Taranto- you essentially allow Italy to become a force- most of Africa is gone- Japan can even land planes there and help.  Italy is making 30+ a turn.  that Extra transport is huge, not to mention the cash you deny Italy the first 2-3 rounds or so by doing Taranto.  Its a very good delaying tactic til US comes in mass numbers.

In combination with Sealion, I have seen an effective Euro Axis naval blockade outside of the Med.  Meanwhile Italian land units are eating away at Africa and MidEast.  Taranto slows down that charge significantly.  Barborossa or Sealion I don’t see how this isn’t a standard move- it seems like a no brainer. :|

• Taranto steals a hit and a tac that defends at 3 from defense of London.  That Sealion thing is the biggest problem England has.

Also that destroyer has been used to block and attack the Denmark Straight in different games in my basement.

Really I sort of like the Taranto raid.  London just has to be made too expensive to take though so I usually don’t do it.

Anyway, I love it when my America takes Minor Complex having Rome while Italian Units are busy chasing the French around Central Africa

• @MarkVIIIMarc:

Taranto steals a hit and a tac that defends at 3 from defense of London.  That Sealion thing is the biggest problem England has.

Also that destroyer has been used to block and attack the Denmark Straight in different games in my basement.

Really I sort of like the Taranto raid.  London just has to be made too expensive to take though so I usually don’t do it.

Anyway, I love it when my America takes Minor Complex having Rome while Italian Units are busy chasing the French around Central Africa

Problem is that G4 Sealion is unstoppable.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m