Need guidance with house rules/leveling….

• We are planning a game with:

1. No Weapons Development (we hardly ever attempted it anyhow).
    2. RR

As no WD favors the Allies, what are some other house rules we might consider in order to level the field?

We are considering the following:

1. Giving Germany rockets from the start to replicate the buzz bombs and V2? Would this make up for the lack of a bid to accompany RR given that the Germans could knock an average of 3 IPCs off of the Brits every turn?

2. Submersible subs-who does this favor? How much?

3. 2 hit BS-who does this favor? How much? I like this idea because it makes the BS a little more cost effective. Does the opportunity for the BS to repair at an IC and fight as half strength when damaged favor the Axis or Allies?

4. Kamikazes for Japan. How do they work?

I have read enough about paras to decide against them as throwing off the game too much.

Thanks guys.

• The german rocket is an interesting idea, never thought about that. Germany does 3.5/round actually and it could be against England or Russia (perhaps only England or….?). If you have a bid of 18, does 6 rounds at 3.5 (21 total) have as much value as 18 right off. I’d take the 18 upfront. The ‘interest’ you get off say 6 Inf on round one more than offsets a few extra IPCs in latter rounds.

Now over a 10-12 round game now it might balance out. The axis has to hit hard and fast, I’ take the 6 inf but it’s close enough to flip a coin I think.

Submersible subs is a tough call. Even with that it’s not like the Germans can build subs. Now if they were imune to air attack unless you had a battleship (a bit expensive, in AAP they use a destroyer (3/3 costs 12, 1 hit and does shore bombardment with a 2 attack)). But again, if it requires too many rules you might be treading on fundemantals.

I think 2 hits BBs favours the allies actually. My thinking is often the Japs have the Pacific to themselves so 1 hit or 2 hit doesn’t matter much. You might take less naval losses, great, now you have a sub as well…

The germans on the other hand have to smash the allied navy immediately to buy them 1-2 rounds. If 1 BB survives then the brits really don’t need to build a carrier. The germans would be down to 3 maybe 4 planes. The allies would have a lone BB and 4-5 transports at end of R1. 6-7 hits is alot to ask from 4 planes.

The original game of AA allowed Jap Kamikazes. Basically 1 ftr/round could be designated Kamikaze. Once designated on offense the plane can’t land even if it survives (no need to teach them to land right!). However, it attacks on a 4 not a 3. It can fly out 4 spaces to attack with no restrictions on where to land. If you plan to lose a ftr anyway, Kamikaze is the way to go for 1 plane. Makes hitting Pearl a bit easier as well. 3 ftrs, bomber and sub. If you take 1 hit, the kami goes, sub stays, carrier moves to wake and the US fleet is blocked by the Jap Sub.

BB

• Interesting idea. Is the SS house rule kind of an attempt to give the sub some survivability given the vulnerability to air? The destroyer rule would do the same thing if air couldn’t hit subs w/o surface ships present. With destroyers, are BS then 2 hit or no? Where could I get destroyer playing pieces?

Another rule we were kicking around would be that you can put naval pieces in occupied waterways. This, along with the SS rule, might allow Germany to be a naval threat for a while longer and soak up brit/US attacks that would otherwise be used elsewhere.

Thanks BB

I like the idea of giving Germany rockets, I’m not sure how much it will do for balancing but, combined with a SBR or two, you can certainly put a hurt on Rus or UK’s income, esp if you do well in Afr.

3rd edition rules are good, but no teching doesn’t really do much, as it often comes late in the game, so even with rockets you still might need a little balancing. You mentioned (in you other post) that the players are about even, so I assume it straight up games Allies win 90-95% of the time. I would suggest still playing with a small bid even with rockets. Maybe 6 IPC for Ger (2 extra inf in Lib). The Allies might feel they are at a disadvantage, but it certainly would be a challenge for both sides.

Submersible subs, doesn’t favor anyone IMO, it’s just nice that they are not necessarily sitting ducks.

In my opinion 2-hit BB favor the allies, it often costs Ger an extra ftr, maybe 2, to take out the British ships. Too costly for Ger. Like BB said, Jap usually owns the Pacific anyway.

• @DarthMaximus:

Submersible subs, doesn’t favor anyone IMO, it’s just nice that they are not necessarily sitting ducks.

In my opinion 2-hit BB favor the allies, it often costs Ger an extra ftr, maybe 2, to take out the British ships. Too costly for Ger. Like BB said, Jap usually owns the Pacific anyway.

Same here…

Ozone27

• Submersable subs I think showed up in the AA CD game, it’s not an official rule nor even an official ‘house rule’ like russia restricted or giving germany jet power or japan super subs.

AA pacific uses submersable sub rules but also has a rule where fighters can’t attack subs at all unless a destroyer is present (not even a BB allows fighters to attack a sub). Sucks to gave a lone carrier with an enemy sub present, could lose the carrier, 2 ftrs and not even sink the sub…. But nobody would let that happen… :-)

Destroyer (DD) pieces… got me, use russian battleships?, not like they will ever get used! You could purchase AA Pacific but the there are only 3 colours the brits and usa have the same colour but Japan is red! Germany is out of luck. Ask the AA Europe folks to see what colours are used there, maybe purchase a set of pieces for both games, then you’re styling! And yes, BBs in AA Pacific are 2 hit. Japan rocks in AAP, they start with 4 carriers, 3 battleships, 6 destroyers, 11 transports, 5 subs, 2 bombers and get this, 15 fighters. Did I mention Japan goes first and Britian and USA have all their units defend on a 1 for the entire first turn, yep, battleships and fighters defend on a 1 all turn long…

BB

• Do you think we would still need a bid of 6 with RR and German Rockets?

I would say yes, but it really depends on how your play group is. If you have strong allied players that coordinate attacks well, then I think you will still need a bid.
    I would just say to try it with the 6 bid and rockets and see what happens. I certainly don’t think that this is unfair. It just depends on how well the allies play together, but the pressure is still on the axis and one mistake early will still cost you the game.

• I’d agree with DM. 6 IPC and rockets is a bit better then jet power for the germans and super subs for the Japanese. At least you know with rockets you’re gonna use it every round. If the allies are attacking your stack of jet fighters you gotta think the Germans are in trouble…

BB

• What about changing the map, like splitting the british sea zone and thus increasing the distance from Canada to Norway to three?
    The German Russian border is pretty static with not much space for tactics, it might help to split caucasus and ukrain, opening a southern route for Germany.
    Did anybody try these or similar changes to the map? What was the result? Is something else more effective?

• I dont like regular subrules. Isay the blinded way is better(you write down where you moved your sub on each turn) this is better because you are undetected until a destroyer moves into your same seazone or you surface for air or battle. :)

• I dont like regular subrules. Isay the blinded way is better(you write down where you moved your sub on each turn) this is better because you are undetected until a destroyer moves into your same seazone or you surface for air or battle. :)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m