Axis & Allies Global Design Flaws Part 1

• First off, before I raise anyones hackles here, the new combined game is impressive if nothing else. Lots of starting forces, more nationalities and some different units & representative pieces. However, there are still some plain wrong things and missing units in this latest version. Let us begin with the missing pieces for this new game. Where are the plastic Factories and AA Guns? Where is the cash (the IPCs)? The different representations of the naval pieces are nice but some are confusing since (in some cases) Destroyers/Cruisers or Cruisers/Battleships are difficult to distinguish due to a too similar size. Instead of going to all the expense of including so many different naval pieces (not too mention the air units & the land vehicles) why not give the buyer the factories & AA Guns? Also (as a picky point & an example) what is with French T-34s or the Italian Panther? Both nations had plenty of well known tanks of their own. There is still, I believe, a few missing units for the stable of A & A games, namely, Paratroops & Corvettes. Paratroops (1 Att/1Def, Cost 3) & Corvette (1 Att/1Def Cost 4). [These values are aligned to the A&A Global game unit costs, some costs of which, in my opinion, may be another design flaw] For instance, the original Fighter was 2A/2D, C12 (4/12=.33), now same fighter is 3A/4D, C10 (7/10=.70), more than double the cost effectiveness especially considering it has a 66% chance of hitting on defence.

• @aethervox:

Instead of going to all the expense of including so many different naval pieces (not too mention the air units & the land vehicles) why not give the buyer the factories & AA Guns? […] There is still, I believe, a few missing units for the stable of A & A games, namely, Paratroops & Corvettes.

Could you clarify what you mean by this?  On the one hand you seem to be saying that the games should provide plastic factories and AA guns rather than such a large variety of naval pieces, while on the other hand you seem to be saying that the games should include corvettes, an entirely new type of naval unit.

• Well, about destroyers, they are the ones with the flat bum.

• I do wish italy has some Sevmonte tanks or the M-13’s or French and their Renault’s

But I guess Germany would have lended italy some panthers, even though panthers werent in service in 1940…

• tread lightly new member, they don’t take kindly to people who don’t take kindly around here…

• i don’t believe that distinguishing the Battleships/cruisers/destroyers is hard at all. battleships are obvious the largest and their are three allies types and two axis types. for the cruisers, they’re smaller than the battleships but are still larger than destroyers. its the same with the battleships where the allies have 3 types to the axis 2. an for destroyers, their the smallest (next to subs) and there is two allied and two axis types. i believe that each nation should have their own unique sculpts for every unit no matter the cost because i would still buy it.

• You, Poloplayer15, may have no problem with easily distinguishing between the various Destroyer, Cruiser & Battleship models but not everyone will. The modellers could have done just a little bit better job in having distinct ‘sizes’ between the three. You did mention, as I implied, that it would have been great if the manufacturer had ‘gone all the way’ and supplied a distinct vessel type for each national navy (etc, etc for land & air units too - but that is getting rather expensive). The alternate is to go back to the original game design where one model of tank or destroyer was used for all nationalities, then there is no room for confusion. In my own seven player A&A variant I have done just that - I found a suitable metal or plastic model for each military unit that is common to all the seven sets of pieces (besides the present range of units I use Paratroops, Corvettes and Motorized Artillery).

• Ok folks lets settle down.

Thanks

• if people want to know, just look in the back of the AAE40 rule book where it distinguishes all types of units

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m