• But you do know that no calculator can save you from bad dice, right?

• @freezing:

@gamerman01:

A calculator that only shows chance of victory for each side falls far short of what is needed.

Also, when I put in a tac bomber or a fighter, it gives better odds for the tac bomber.  This should not be the case, because they both attack at 3.

For 1940, I created my own crude “calculator” with Excel, since I’ve never seen a decent calculator for this version yet.

There is definitely a need for some programming nerd to create a good calculator.

Yeah…… bitch board…
    Are you assuming a normal disribution, a t-distribution, a geometric distribution, beta distribution, or something else…
    please elaborate

I originally wrote my calculator because I didn’t like the other calculators I found. It’s easy to use and calculates the information I want to see. Then I decided to share it on the web.

Looks like it’s your turn to step up to the plate.

• Yeah…… b**** board…
    Are you assuming a normal disribution, a t-distribution, a geometric distribution, beta distribution, or something else…
    please elaborate

I think his calc uses the average of units killed to calculate those values

• anyone know for sure if the ipod/iphone version is as up to date as the web version?

• It is not, yet.

• eta?

also, has anyone tried the other iphone/ipod A&A dice sim available in the app store?

• the sim was updated with 1940 rules today for the iphone/touch. this is perfect timing, as my new touch is due to arrive today as well.

• It is also updated for the Droid.  I purchased it a few days ago and it has since updated with 1940 rules.  I’ll be testing it out tomorrow at EllisCON here in CT.

Brian

• @freezing:

@calvinhobbesliker:

Yeah…… b**** board…
    please elaborate

The sim runs by simulating a setup between your units and your opponents units. 1 round of combat is run with random dice rolls, and then units with lethal damage are taken out. Another round of combat is run and units with lethal damage are taken out, etc. until there can be no combat. The results are recorded, and then the whole thing starts all over again. After 1000 runs, all result averages are displayed.

The percentages I’ve found usually vary by ± 2%.

I did update both handheld versions of the sim. Usually with Apple there can be a lag time by up to 2 weeks from when I submit an update to them and when it finally gets published.

In what order are the units taken off? Are they taken off in order of increasing ipc(defending bombers after infantry) value, or increasing attack/defense(so defending bombers before infantry). Is it possible to add the option “must take territory,” which means that instead of taking the last land unit off, air units are taken off instead?

• @gamerman01:

Good point, but that just supports another reason I don’t like this calculator.  It gives you results varying by up to 5%.  I like a calc that tells you what the averages are, period.  Like, infinite runs.

Like if you have a battleship on battleship, you have exactly a 50% chance of winning.  Not 48-52%.  :roll:

The misunderstanding here is the program is actually “rolling” dice and taking those percentages based on artificial dice rolls. If you wanted an odds or ratio calculator then find one that does not run simulations at all, rather just using the ratio instead. That what I think you are looking for.

• The global rules on the App version are very screwed up. A mix of revised units and global units are being used. I emailed the developer a while back but have heard nothing. I paid for this app, and I would like it delivered as advertised.

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@freezing:

@calvinhobbesliker:

Yeah…… b**** board…
    please elaborate

The sim runs by simulating a setup between your units and your opponents units. 1 round of combat is run with random dice rolls, and then units with lethal damage are taken out. Another round of combat is run and units with lethal damage are taken out, etc. until there can be no combat. The results are recorded, and then the whole thing starts all over again. After 1000 runs, all result averages are displayed.

The percentages I’ve found usually vary by ± 2%.

I did update both handheld versions of the sim. Usually with Apple there can be a lag time by up to 2 weeks from when I submit an update to them and when it finally gets published.

In what order are the units taken off? Are they taken off in order of increasing ipc(defending bombers after infantry) value, or increasing attack/defense(so defending bombers before infantry). Is it possible to add the option “must take territory,” which means that instead of taking the last land unit off, air units are taken off instead?

It appears some mod deleted all of my posts in this thread.

The order is slightly different for different rules sets, but for 1940 it’s

Infantry
    MechInf
    Artillery
    Tank
    Submarine
    Transport
    Fighter
    Destroyer
    TacticalBomber
    Cruiser
    Bomber
    AircraftCarrier
    Battleship

based mostly on IPC value. It’s the same for both attackers and defenders. The iphone version is a little more flexible (since I rewrote it), and will remove bombers on defense slightly earlier.

It does not have the option of taking territory but I can put that on my todo list.

• @rockrobinoff:

The global rules on the App version are very screwed up. A mix of revised units and global units are being used. I emailed the developer a while back but have heard nothing. I paid for this app, and I would like it delivered as advertised.

I did not get that email - it looks like some of my email is being dropped.

Yes, I’m looking at it now, and the iphone 1940s version does have some of the revised values incorrectly inserted. I can post an update to that - but sometimes it takes up to 2 weeks for Apple to update.

• ok, thanks for the update freezing.

the errors i have detected in the 1940 rules set:

bombers are revised bombers (not a big deal)
    tanks are revised tanks (not a big deal)
    destroyers " "
    aircraft carriers " "
    transports " "
    submarines " "
    battleships " "

mech inf should get their bonus from artillery (not a big deal)

you have to turn off AA guns for sea battles (not a big deal)

• What’s the difference between G40 bombers and Revised ones?

• @calvinhobbesliker:

What’s the difference between G40 bombers and Revised ones?

Only the cost, but the calculator does calculate avg ipc loss.

• @rockrobinoff:

@calvinhobbesliker:

What’s the difference between G40 bombers and Revised ones?

Only the cost, but the calculator does calculate avg ipc loss.

http://www.dskelly.com/misc/aa/aasim.html?&rules=4&attBomber=1

Its cost is correct

• iphone/ipod app updated. looks good so far. well done.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m