• Hello All,

I set-up this poll to find out if there was any interest in petitioning Jack at Table Tactics to re-print Cromwell 2026.  From all appearances, Cromwell seems to be a quality, self-published game that, if available, I’d be interested in purchasing multiple copies of. This also could be an opportunity to help Jack raise the capital needed for his other A&A projects.

Thanks for your vote!

• Id like to read a review of what this game was about.I don’t know anybody who bought this one.

• Cromwell 2026

Peter (NikTheRake) and myself tried this one out last night.

Aim of the game:-

This is an easy to learn wargame. The rules are straightforward and printed on two A4 double-sided pages. One of these sides is an example of play. The object is to eliminate the opposing army and take over all of Ireland. The map of Ireland is divided into four regions (depicting Ulster, Munster, Connaught and Leinster) with each region further divided into areas.

Set up:-

One player begins with control of Munster (bottom left) and the other in Ulster (top right). Connaught and Leinster form a no-mans land in between.

Players take turns placing a unit within their own area starting with the first player and continue until all units are on the board. There is a stacking limit of 5 units per area.

Reinforcements:-

The game differs from other wargames I have played in that you begin with all your units on the board, but you will receive no further reinforcements during the game. Certain areas in each region of the board give the controlling player a token during their turn. Four of these can be traded for a chip which can be placed below a unit. A chip will take a hit instead of the unit.

Action Phases

1. Jet
    Can either bomb any enemy land/ water based unit 3 dice or
    Battle for Air Superiority 2 dice against opposing jet – a 10 point hit track is provided and once exceeded a hit is scored

2. Move Units

3. Fight (in contested areas)

4. Collect tokens

5. Purchase and Place Chips

Units:-

A simple player aid sheet gives a breakdown of unit movement, dice, any special rules and keeps track of hits on the Jets. Units are summarised (if I remember correctly) as follows:-

Unit Move Dice Special Rules
    Jet* Once placed doesn’t move 2 Dice are for defence only. For attack see 1. above
    Helicopter 6 2 Must land on a mobile Heli Base
    Mobile Heli Base 1 1 If you have more helicopters than bases at the end of your move extra helicopters are destroyed
    Tank 1 2
    Motorised Infantry 2 1
    Hover Tank 3 2 Can move on land or water
    Hover Craft 3 1 Can move on land or water
    Rocket Launcher 1 2 Can support an attack up to two areas away

• for Jet attacks see 1. above.

Hits:-

Any 6 rolled scores a hit

Removing Casualties:-

Each unit is also depicted on a card. A card is placed to the side for each unit involved in a battle (note if you have two tanks and a helicopter are involved in the battle then two tank cards and one helicopter card will be placed to the side). If you suffer a hit your opponent picks a card at random which takes the hit. Remember if the unit has a chip the chip is removed instead of the unit.

Overall Impression of the Game:-

I rate this game a 5 (see rating system below). It’s an enjoyable two-player game, which I would be more than happy to play again on occasion. Very easy to explain and play. The (lack of) reinforcement mechanic stops this relatively simple wargame from outstaying its welcome. The different unit capabilities ensure an element of strategy.

My Game Rating System

10 The Holy Grail of games (still waiting to give a game this score)
    8-9 Very good game.
    6-7 Good game. Would happily play whenever it’s brought to the table.
    4-5 Reasonable game. Would play and enjoy occasionally if it is brought to the table or suitable to play with certain opponents.
    2-3 Poor game, but has one or two good points, such as good quality components which can be salvaged for other games (making it worth a couple of quid from a charity shop, but not much more) or I get the feeling there’s a reasonable game hidden in there somewhere if only I could be bothered to look/ invent house rules.
    1 Somebody’s had a laugh at my expense. I can’t think of anything good to say about this one (only one game has achieved this, if achieved is the right word, but it’s also the only game I have ever thrown in the bin and I can’t remember it’s name. I had received it amongst a bundle of games from ebay. It was a Power Rangers type game)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m