Printing costs and model paints.

• hey all,

so i had some designs on printing out my own A&A Global board to about a 6 foot by 4 foot dimension. so i called up kinkos to get a full colour printing estimate, and they said $288! gadzooks!

barring printing out a series of small sheets and binding them together (unless, that actually works well, though i have my doubts) can someone suggest another printing alternative?

p.s. am also considering painting my own board. model paints?

• Why are you doing this? Is the actual board not big enough for you? :roll:

• @calvinhobbesliker:

Why are you doing this? Is the actual board not big enough for you? :roll:

No! it isnt. the spaces get very crowded very quickly.

• @rockrobinoff:

@calvinhobbesliker:

Then use chips.

If you are using chips and still getting crowded, stop playing defensively

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@rockrobinoff:

@calvinhobbesliker:

Then use chips.

geez. you have an opinion on everything A&A dont you!

• @rockrobinoff:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@rockrobinoff:

@calvinhobbesliker:

Then use chips.

geez. you have an opinion on everything A&A dont you!

Maybe. Which spaces get crowded?

• several spaces get crowded. why are you insisting i justify this? i just want my own board…

• @rockrobinoff:

several spaces get crowded. why are you insisting i justify this? i just want my own board…

Sorry, I’m just curious

• I also prefer not to use chips for naval units if I can avoid it.  You need every aircraft carrier, Battle ship and transport on the map to keep track of damage and “carried” units.  That leaves subs, destroyers and cruisers which can be “chipped.”  I’d rather not do that.

Back to the subject, I thought you could get a large board printed for less.  Which version are you printing?  The new AAG40?

Painting one could be a lot of fun but possibly very expensive because model paint doesn’t go very far.  I could see a neat project though if you could get a projector to project the image you want and then “mask off” the oceans and continents; spray painting them to give you the big picture coverage, and then brush paint in the detail you want.  You could make a very nice custom board but it could cost a lot of money.

• yo  do you have it on a file?? i could print it no a vinyl rollable material(cut into 2 pieces) the vinyl creates an un even surface but if you buy a 50 something bucks sheet of pexy glass it will take care of that.  cost ~~aprox 20$ for the sheets pm me if ur intrested

• '10

@cminke:

yo  do you have it on a file?? i could print it no a vinyl rollable material(cut into 2 pieces) the vinyl creates an un even surface but if you buy a 50 something bucks sheet of pexy glass it will take care of that.  cost ~~aprox 20$ for the sheets pm me if ur intrested

I print my maps on 8 1/2 X 11 sheets of card stock, trim them and tape them together with clear packaging tape. (Takes one new color ink cartridge for a 3X6 map) Then cover the whole thing with 3X6 plexiglass. ($50.00) Works for me. But if you do not have a place to leave them laying flat then storage could be a problem. I dont think that rolling them up for storage would work very good.

• @Fishmoto37:

I print my maps on 8 1/2 X 11 sheets of card stock, trim them and tape them together with clear packaging tape. (Takes one new color ink cartridge for a 3X6 map) Then cover the whole thing with 3X6 plexiglass. ($50.00) Works for me. But if you do not have a place to leave them laying flat then storage could be a problem. I dont think that rolling them up for storage would work very good.

my plan was to glue them/it to a wooden board, then cut the board into three pieces, and add rubber feet to prevent sliding.

do you have any pics of your boards? were they laser printed or ink jet?

• '10

You can find some of my old posts and photos under House Rules: ILs Axis and Allies Global 1939 and 1942 files. My computer is down right now and I am using a laptop until I get it back. I will post some new photos when I get it back. I have printed all my maps on an HP Officejet 4215.

@rockrobinoff:

@Fishmoto37:

my plan was to glue them/it to a wooden board, then cut the board into three pieces, and add rubber feet to prevent sliding.

• @Fishmoto37:

@cminke:

yo  do you have it on a file?? i could print it no a vinyl rollable material(cut into 2 pieces) the vinyl creates an un even surface but if you buy a 50 something bucks sheet of pexy glass it will take care of that.  cost ~~aprox 20$ for the sheets pm me if ur intrested

i use 2 pieces of pexy and roll the board up it works fine!

• '10

@cminke:

@Fishmoto37:

@cminke:

i use 2 pieces of pexy and roll the board up it works fine!

I imagine if you tape up all the seams on both sides it should roll up ok.

• @rockrobinoff:

barring printing out a series of small sheets and binding them together (unless, that actually works well, though i have my doubts) can someone suggest another printing alternative?

Prior to the publication of Global, there’s a radical idea I once considered when I was wishing I had a huge game map.  I never explored the concept in detail, so I don’t know if it can be done satisfactorily…but since you’re brainstorming, here it is for whatever it’s worth.

The idea was to have a projected map rather than a printed one.  The map would be a computer image, and it would be projected using a data projector (assuming it could be positioned to do so).  One option would be to have the image projected straight downward onto a table covered with a single large sheet of white paper. That’s the most straightforward approach, but it would create shadow problems when you leaned over the table.  Another option would be to have a reversed image projected upward, onto a translucent surface – for example a glass table covered with something like white onion-skin paper.  There would be no shadow problems in that case, and the table would have the rather cool look of a glowing electronic map (kind of like the “big boards” you see in places like NORAD headquarters), but the image would look fuzzier than a direct projection.  There’s also the problem (in both cases) of how to project an image straight up or down, since most people don’t have data projectors bolted to their ceilings; maybe using a mirror at a 45-degree angle would do the trick.

All these practical difficulties explain why I never explored the idea in detail – but who knows, there may be data projection devices or options available that I’m not aware of.  And the costs involved could well exceed those of printing out a big map.  On the flip side, if there was a practical way to do this, you could easily change from one kind of giant game map to another by simply projecting a different picture file.

• seen it’s so kool. it’s and etched pexi and is projected from underneath. teratoriy colour whould change by chip censors taped and or glued under each piece.

• '10

@rockrobinoff:

@Fishmoto37:

Pic of todays game using ILs 1939 map.

IMAG0006.JPG

• It looks like you employ some of our usual strategies.

Kill the British at Gibraltar is a good move.

Remember the Soviets only get one round against Vyborg for the first couple of turns. They can only take Vyborg as their prize and cant attack Finland in any other way till they at war with Germany or turn 3.

We usually have the British take Persia since they lose the oil at Borneo when Japan starts. Remember also, Japan has a 3 turn oil reserve. They suffer oil shortage rolls on turn 4 if they don’t have an oil source.

You can see that it is impossible for Japan to attack early… they will be crushed if they do because they have not established their power.

In this Germany plays a much more historical feel as they grow in IPC. Japan does not get unwieldy as they do in g40. In G39 the powers are reversed with Germany playing the behemoth.

• '10

@Imperious:

It looks like you employ some of our usual strategies.

Kill the British at Gibraltar is a good move.

Remember the Soviets only get one round against Vyborg for the first couple of turns. They can only take Vyborg as their prize and cant attack Finland in any other way till they at war with Germany or turn 3.

We usually have the British take Persia since they lose the oil at Borneo when Japan starts. Remember also, Japan has a 3 turn oil reserve. They suffer oil shortage rolls on turn 4 if they don’t have an oil source.

You can see that it is impossible for Japan to attack early… they will be crushed if they do because they have not established their power.

In this Germany plays a much more historical feel as they grow in IPC. Japan does not get unwieldy as they do in g40. In G39 the powers are reversed with Germany playing the behemoth.

Yes, I have a hard time remembering that there is only one combat round in Norway and Finland.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m