Global Gaming Table Threads and Pictures

• @Young:

You only need 10 posts I think, get into a discussion on another thread and than come back and post pics… would love to see them.

Oh, that’s not bad. This should actually be my 10th. Been trying to lurk a bit here and get the lay of the land before I get too into posting. I know each forum has it’s own culture and etiquette that I like to figure out before I dive in.

• '17 '16

The table is awesome Resident… much jelly on this end… very fine craftsmanship.

I noticed the world map on the wall in the back… i’ll take a wild guess and assume its a relatively recent world map?  Maybe if you could get your hands on a 1940’s map of the world and stick it up, that would add to the cool-factor (unless you already did that, I could not see the map with enough detail to know for sure).  Another idea for ambiance, is to maybe get some 1940s major power flags… (not current ones)… like the 48-star American flag, a Rising Sun flag, Soviet Flag, etc, etc and toss em up around the room.

Anyways, great work… I have neither the space nor the talent to do such a job, so I just have some roll out maps on vinyl I put on my kitchen island when its time to play… once again, great job Resident!

• Yeah, that map on the wall is actually my daughters (2 & 3). In installing the table we had to move around stuff in the basement. That map used to be at toddler level, but had to move it because furniture was going in it’s place. It won’t be up there long. My wife has some of her grandfathers charts (he was in a b-17) that I’m going to get framed and put in that corner at some point.

I’m hoping to eventually add a room into the unfinished portion of our basement (we’re lucky, it’s a 50’s ranch with a 2000 sqft basement. plenty of room for my game hobby). That’ll get the full treatment.

As far as the talent goes, trust me, I have little to none. My cuts are sloppy, staining is uneven. My projects usually don’t turn out this good. It was actually a really easy one. One of the great things about home depot is that they will do all the cuts for you there. Just make sure your measurments are good. It saves a ton of time and money if you don’t already have the right tools.

• Sponsor

Wow, that is really awesome Resident… one of the best I’ve seen. The players in your gaming group should consider themselves very lucky.

• This is a great table, and the cup holders are a clever concept that I don’t think I’ve ever seen used before on this kind of project.  Nice work!

• @CWO:

This is a great table, and the cup holders are a clever concept that I don’t think I’ve ever seen used before on this kind of project.  Nice work!

Thanks!
    here’s a link to the cup holders if anyone is interested:
    http://www.boatstore.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?p=1&q=cup+holder

I got this item
    http://www.boatstore.com/large-cup-holder-3-77-d-x-4-2-w.html

If I had to do it over again, I’d probably go with the smaller more expensive size. As it is now, they’re a bit big and particularly with the planes and ships, the smaller pieces fall to the bottom (subs and fighter). I’ll probably end up making some 4 way separators for each cup holder to keep like pieces apart. That should fix it nicely. Also might install some LED’s in the German wells.

Speaking of electronics, my next add on is going to be a motion sensor in the rolling area hooked up to an MP3 player that plays fighter and machine gun sounds every time it gets tripped so that dice rolls will have sound effects.

• '16 Customizer

Hey Resident! This an amazing table - I don’t usually frequent the threads on gaming tables, as I’m more of a painter. I had to stop and comment though - love what you’ve done here. The rolling tray and fooseball style hit marker beads are a great touch. Looks like it would make for a very integrated game. Thanks for sharing!

• Sponsor

@Resident:

Speaking of electronics, my next add on is going to be a motion sensor in the rolling area hooked up to an MP3 player that plays fighter and machine gun sounds every time it gets tripped so that dice rolls will have sound effects.

WWHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTT!!!

• @Spitfire38:

Hey Resident! This an amazing table - I don’t usually frequent the threads on gaming tables, as I’m more of a painter. I had to stop and comment though - love what you’ve done here. The rolling tray and fooseball style hit marker beads are a great touch. Looks like it would make for a very integrated game. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks a lot. I’m really happy with it. Not 100% satified with the beads. I’m going to look around for a nice set of bronze beads that will match the corner guards I’ll be putting on. I think it’ll tie it together nicely.

• @Young:

@Resident:

WWHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTT!!!

It’s a few steps off. Will post video when it happens.

• '21 '18 '16

That is one awesome table. We are still trying to determine the best way to print the map. So not much progress for us yet.

• @seancb:

That is one awesome table. We are still trying to determine the best way to print the map. So not much progress for us yet.

Kinkos was perfect for me. It wasn’t cheap, but something like this will never be cheap. I paid around $160 or so for mine. It took 3 days. Came out very crisp and sharp. No complaints at all.

• '21 '18 '16

What kind of material did you use for the map? Also is it a solid board or can it be rolled or folded?

• @seancb:

What kind of material did you use for the map? Also is it a solid board or can it be rolled or folded?

Foamcore, so no rolling. It’s mounted to the plywood with trim molding around it. I could take it out in theory, but it’s designed to be permanent.

• '17 '16 Customizer

Lots of great ideas here, I plan to start mine this week. Thanks everyone for sharing your hard work and ideas.

• I just wrapped up mounting my map, I really like it. (4x8 1936 HBG). I’m less of a specialized wargamer, and more of an all around game guy, so I needed my game table to be cleared when I wasn’t playing Global. So I build a frame, similar to a canvas stretcher and then topped it with rigid cardboard and then mounted the map on top of that, rolled the trim edges around to give it that “pop off the wall” art look. Now I have a nice map for my A&A sessions and when we are done, it returns to being board game room decor.

• What the !!!  Is that Stalins grandson playing war games at The General’s Fortress Saturday night ?

image1.png

• I built this for my Navy buds retirement gift. Works pretty sweet!

IMG_3318.PNG

• Nice !

• '14

@Trd_guy33:

I built this for my Navy buds retirement gift. Works pretty sweet!

@SS:

What the !!!  Is that Stalins grandson playing war games at The General’s Fortress Saturday night ?

CUSTOM MAPS AND TABLES!!! MY ABSOLUTE FAVOURITE!!!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m